M3 SMG BOXs

Old March 27th 05, 11:18 AM
russell_a_smith

Default M3 SMG BOXs

I here that the semi auto boxes on M3 BMW's have been responciable for
damaged engines, and Ive been advise to give SMG equiped cars a wide birth .
(Im told its the launch control on the box that does the damage)
Is this true about the boxes as the values of these cars are comparable

Old March 27th 05, 01:02 PM
fbloogyudsr

"russell_a_smith" > wrote
>I here that the semi auto boxes on M3 BMW's have been responciable for
> damaged engines, and Ive been advise to give SMG equiped cars a wide birth
> . (Im told its the launch control on the box that does the damage)
> Is this true about the boxes as the values of these cars are comparable

The SMG transmissions are not the problem. The engines are the problem.

Floyd

Old March 27th 05, 05:52 PM
russell_a_smith

I take it that a M3 might not be the best second hand buy, would I be better
going for a 330 ci?

Old March 27th 05, 11:44 PM
GRL

Problem with an M3 as a used car buy is that they are the type of car that
attracts drivers who like to flog the thing (it begs to be flogged) and that
does not make for longevity.

I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty left
and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

- GRL

.. .

Old March 28th 05, 12:16 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
GRL > wrote:
> I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty
> left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and trust?
And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every year would be
mad to look after it well...

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 28th 05, 12:52 AM
Harry

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> GRL > wrote:
>> I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty
>> left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

> How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and trust?
> And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every year would be
> mad to look after it well...

BINGO - he just can't afford one.

Old March 28th 05, 09:55 AM
+ Rob +

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> GRL > wrote:
> > I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty
> > left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

> How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and trust?
> And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every year would be
> mad to look after it well...

Who said the car being considered is only one year old? Certainly not
the OP.
That said, I wouldn't buy ANY one year old used car. Because the vast
majority of units returning to the retail channel that soon are thrashed
rental returns and lemons.

Rob

Old March 28th 05, 10:18 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
+ Rob + > wrote:
> > > I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty
> > > left and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

> > How often can you buy a one year old car from someone you know and
> > trust? And I'd also think that those who change to a new car every
> > year would be mad to look after it well...

> Who said the car being considered is only one year old? Certainly
> not the OP.

He wants two years of warranty left? I assume that means a one year old
car, as you can buy a warranty - of a sort - for near any car.

> That said, I wouldn't buy ANY one year old used car. Because
> the vast majority of units returning to the retail channel that soon are
> thrashed rental returns and lemons.

Yup. With an M3, possibly a rich kid that must have a new one every year?
And thrashes it to death from day one?

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Old March 28th 05, 12:19 PM
John Stone

On 3/27/05 4:18 AM, in article ,
"russell_a_smith" > wrote:

> I here that the semi auto boxes on M3 BMW's have been responciable for
> damaged engines, and Ive been advise to give SMG equiped cars a wide birth .
> (Im told its the launch control on the box that does the damage)
> Is this true about the boxes as the values of these cars are comparable

The SMG boxes are not responsible for engine damage. In fact, the SMG will
not let you over rev due to downshift to a wrong gear, like a standard
manual tranny would. There were engine problems, mostly in 01's, with a
production wide recall through mid 03 to replace rod bearings. The problem
appears solved. The SMG's are complex and have their own issues.

Old March 28th 05, 12:36 PM
John Stone

On 3/27/05 4:44 PM, in article , "GRL"
> wrote:

> Problem with an M3 as a used car buy is that they are the type of car that
> attracts drivers who like to flog the thing (it begs to be flogged) and that
> does not make for longevity.
>
> I would not buy one that did not have at least two years of warranty left
> and whose previous owner I did not know and trust.

I'm not sure M3's are flogged any more than any other sporty car, regular
BMW's included. Constant flogging of an M3 on the street is going to get
you into legal troubles very quickly. And the car's driveline and brakes are
quite robust. Of course this doesn't include cars that spend a lot of time
at the track, but a mechanic would uncover a beat up car pretty quickly.
Why wouldn't any 330i/ci w/manual and sport package be just as prone?