GMC truck with 160K Miles - recommended maintenance

Old September 24th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
neal

Default GMC truck with 160K Miles - recommended maintenance

I have a 1997 1/2ton Ext Cab short bed GMC Sierra truck. 4x4, 350
Engine, auto tranny.
I drive it like an old man.

I've been running synthetic for the last 100,000 miles, changing ever
4-5K miles or so.

What maintenance items to people recommend I look at doing?

I've kept up on spark plugs, K&N Ait filter, taken care of oil leaks
(recently had the oil-cooler hoses replaced), fuel filter.

It's probably time to flush the tranny fluid again (100K last time).

Are there major items I should expect to go out soon?

What is the expected life of the tranny in this truck? Engine?

Thanks

Old September 24th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
anumber1

neal wrote:
> I have a 1997 1/2ton Ext Cab short bed GMC Sierra truck. 4x4, 350
> Engine, auto tranny.
> I drive it like an old man.
>
> I've been running synthetic for the last 100,000 miles, changing ever
> 4-5K miles or so.
>
> What maintenance items to people recommend I look at doing?
>
> I've kept up on spark plugs, K&N Ait filter, taken care of oil leaks
> (recently had the oil-cooler hoses replaced), fuel filter.
>
> It's probably time to flush the tranny fluid again (100K last time).
>
> Are there major items I should expect to go out soon?
>
> What is the expected life of the tranny in this truck? Engine?
>
> Thanks

If it were my truck I would ditch the K&N filter and run a good quality
paper filter. The K&N lets in too much dust for my likeing.

I would also change the fluid in both differentials and the transfer
case as well as the filter in the transmission.

My 95 Chevy K1500 went 325k miles before I wrecked it on a deer. It ran
and drove fine. I did put rebuilt front axles, ball joints and tie rods
on it at 275k.
Old September 24th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_32_]

neal Wrote:
> I have a 1997 1/2ton Ext Cab short bed GMC Sierra truck. 4x4, 350
> Engine, auto tranny.
> I drive it like an old man.
>
> I've been running synthetic for the last 100,000 miles, changing ever
> 4-5K miles or so.
>
> What maintenance items to people recommend I look at doing?
>
> I've kept up on spark plugs, K&N Ait filter, taken care of oil leaks
> (recently had the oil-cooler hoses replaced), fuel filter.
>
> It's probably time to flush the tranny fluid again (100K last time).
>
> Are there major items I should expect to go out soon?
>
> What is the expected life of the tranny in this truck? Engine?
>
> Thanks

As said transfer case and rear end fluid.
The transmission service would be better at ever 50-75K
Also the engine coolant and brake fluid could use a change.
And keep a eye on the intake manifold gasket and heater hose to intake
quick connector for coolant leakeage..
And of course belts and hoses brake pads and u joints and fuel filter.
If you are using the K&N filter keep it cleaned and go easy on the oil
and clean MAF sensor often.
Good luck with it.
I have saw some go well over 300K
MT