Gas Lines

Old October 28th 03, 05:08 AM
Gordon Siebert

Default Gas Lines

I'm interested in suggestions to clean gas lines on a car that has
been stored for 23 years. Gasoline poured into the tank does not flow
to the pump, even with some air pressure into the filler neck.
Old October 28th 03, 05:26 AM
The Guy

Gordon Siebert wrote:
> I'm interested in suggestions to clean gas lines on a car that has
> been stored for 23 years. Gasoline poured into the tank does not flow
> to the pump, even with some air pressure into the filler neck.

Try blowing air into the fuel line from the front to the back.
Disconnect the fuel line at the pump and blow air back towards the tank.
If there is a screen inside the tank, this will sometimes blow the
obstruction out of the way.

If you have enough gunk in the tank to block a screen, it is likely that
you will need to drop the tank and clean it out anyway.

Tim

Old October 28th 03, 05:34 AM
Jerry Wass

Acetone is one of the best solvents. disconnect line from tank to fuel
pump
at the pump----You can apply full hose pressure there---leave filler cap
off!!
Then take tank off, put in about a quart of marbles & 2 or 3 qts of
acetone,
set it on a rocking chair & rock it . Drain s**t from tank, strain
acetone &
repeat till it comes clean.--Put on a new fuel pump--the diaphragm will be
bad on the old one--You did fill the carb with acetone & let it set while
doing all of this,
didn't you,??--It takes time to soften 23 yr old varnish. Try to pump
some
acetone into the fuel line & let it soak too.--use a pump-type oil
can--preferably
all metal--most plastics don't like acetone.---change fuel filter too.