GM says new fuel requirements will add $6k to the prices of theircars. Toyota engineers point and laugh.

Old February 25th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Default The sky is falling

Bill Putney wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>> Johnny Hageyama wrote:

>>> Traditional medicine kills at least 100,000 people a year in the US
>>> alone, mostly through infection.
>>>

>> And how many does non-traditional bull**** "medicine" allow to die
>> that could have been saved by real medicine?

> Aww Steve - I though you were my budd!

I am, but I don't respect "alternative medicine" much at all. FWIW, I
don't really put mainstream Chiropractors in that category, because they
stick to treating muscular and skeletal disorders, and they can do it
without damage. There still are a few old-school quack Chiropractors
that claim they can cure anything from migraines to cancer, and have
wound up paralyzing their patients doing "adjustments" on
already-fractured vertebrae, but they're very much in the minority. The
"bull**** medicine" I refer to is nonsense like aromatherapy,
acupuncture, aromatherapy, 'traditional Chinese medicine,' and other
foolery like that.

> Seriously - You do have to be careful with alternative medicine and link
> up with good people who know what they're doing and know the good
> sources for the product. YES - ABSOLUTELY - there is a bunch of crap
> out there. But if you get the right stuff and the right information,
> you don't end up with a lot of damage that "real" medicine is famous for
> (like liver damage).

I pretty much agree- with the caveat that I would NEVER apply
alternative medicine IN PLACE of real research-based medicine. As an
adjunct or an attempt when a real diagnosis has been made and no
treatment is available, maybe, but not as a total replacement.

Everyone has to take some responsibility for their own health. Liver
damage is an interesting issue to bring up, because for years we've been
told to take Tylenol instead of aspirin because all the advertising says
"its safer." Well, its not "safer." It has almost no medicinal
interactions, which means that its statistically safer to administer in
a hospital where patients may be on a potpurri of other medicines. BUT-
if you take as little as something like 10% above the recommended dose
of Extra Strength Tylenol, for 3-5 days, you may wind up dead of liver
failure. NSAIDs, like aspirin and ibuprofen, have more interactions and
can lead to digestive tract bleeding over the long haul, but even a
pretty substantial overdose won't do you in. None of this is in any way
hidden from anyone- any doctor will tell you this. Anyone dumb enough to
poison their liver with Tylenol just believed advertising and didn't do
any checking (like reading the label!) before putting something in their
body.