Headrest speaker questions

Old November 12th 04, 07:44 PM
Dave Smith

Default Headrest speaker questions

My wonderful wife gave me a gift certificate to GoMiata.com. I'm
thinking about getting the Clearwater headrest speakers for my '97.
It has an Alpine stereo with Boston Acoustics door speakers in it now
and I'm pretty happy with the sound, but I'm always looking for ways
to improve. A few questions:

Is this an installation that a good car stereo place should be able to
do?

The GoMiata ad says that they are designed to plug into the stock
stereo. Will they work off the rear outs in my Alpine unit?

How do they go into the headrests? I don't see a way to remove the
covers.

Most importantly, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them.
Are they worth having?

Thanks very much.
Old November 12th 04, 08:16 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Is this an installation that a good car stereo place should be able to
> do?

Yes, but do it yourself. Piece of cake.

> The GoMiata ad says that they are designed to plug into the stock
> stereo. Will they work off the rear outs in my Alpine unit?

I don't see why not.

> How do they go into the headrests? I don't see a way to remove the
> covers.

There's a zipper hidden under the seam around the headrest.

> Most importantly, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them.
> Are they worth having?

See the reviews on miata.net. Note the reviews of other brands, too.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old November 13th 04, 02:10 AM
L Bader

Lanny's on the right track (as usual)

- There are zippers that are reasonably easy to access. Just fold the
seam backward. Pull out the plastic cover and the speakers will be
revielled.

-3-1/2" speakers fit, but will require a little trimming with an
X-acto knife to fully seat.

- ANY quality two-way speaker will significantly imrpove performance.
(My recommendation is to acoustically match (impedence, RMS & peak,
and sensitivity rating) to your door speakers...) -- Crutchfield is a
good source for suitible components.

[FYI - I am using Sony X-plod speakers @ $59/pair and have crystal
clear, audible tunes at 80mph+...]

Cheers!

- L

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:44:44 -0800, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>My wonderful wife gave me a gift certificate to GoMiata.com. I'm
>thinking about getting the Clearwater headrest speakers for my '97.
>It has an Alpine stereo with Boston Acoustics door speakers in it now
>and I'm pretty happy with the sound, but I'm always looking for ways
>to improve. A few questions:
>
>Is this an installation that a good car stereo place should be able to
>do?
>
>The GoMiata ad says that they are designed to plug into the stock
>stereo. Will they work off the rear outs in my Alpine unit?
>
>How do they go into the headrests? I don't see a way to remove the
>covers.
>
>Most importantly, I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them.
>Are they worth having?
>
>Thanks very much.

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old November 13th 04, 05:39 PM
Rod

When I installed Clearwater headrest speakers in my '91, I discovered that
the polarity to
the right speaker in each seat was reversed. I had always wondered why I
didn't get much
sound from my factory headrest speakers, and despite the Miata magazine
recommendations
to check polarity, I never did, thinking it would not make that much
difference. I WAS WRONG!
It makes an incredible difference! Well, that, and the new speakers.
You will not believe the difference between stock speakers and the
Clearwaters!

Buy or borrow a multi-tester and make sure your polarity is correct!
Rod

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> snipped>

Questions, questions, questions Vernon Balbert BMW 15 January 16th 05 03:01 AM
First BMW - 318iS - few questions? Kevin Rhodes BMW 5 November 16th 04 10:02 PM
Speaker wiring Morien Morgan Mazda 1 October 12th 04 11:22 PM
Some more newbie questions Ypnos Alfa Romeo 7 June 23rd 04 10:35 AM