GM done with CVT

Old September 5th 04, 03:56 PM
Chasberry

Default GM done with CVT

http://www.newsday.com/mynews/ny-swc...,3149027.story
Old September 5th 04, 08:33 PM
Philip Nasadowski

Great, the replacement is a *six* speed automatic. Because 5 speeds
don't shift enough as it is. IIRC, Ford didn't offer a 5 speed on
their recent miivans specifically because the current 5 speeds shift so
much that they're annoying. God knows the 5 in my dad's Honda minivan
does. even with the cruise on, it's STILL at a loss as to what gear it
should be in.

In contrast, a 4L60E behaves just fine, and behaves better around town,
too. Hopefully, GM's six speed will be as well behaved. Really, when
you get down to it, GM's automatic transmissions are the best out
there...
Old September 7th 04, 03:34 PM
C. E. White

Philip Nasadowski wrote:

> Great, the replacement is a *six* speed automatic. Because 5 speeds
> don't shift enough as it is. IIRC, Ford didn't offer a 5 speed on
> their recent miivans specifically because the current 5 speeds shift so
> much that they're annoying. God knows the 5 in my dad's Honda minivan
> does. even with the cruise on, it's STILL at a loss as to what gear it
> should be in.
>
> In contrast, a 4L60E behaves just fine, and behaves better around town,
> too. Hopefully, GM's six speed will be as well behaved. Really, when
> you get down to it, GM's automatic transmissions are the best out
> there...

You have to be kidding. The crap they iunstall in Tahoes is
just an explosion waiting to happen. A friend lost his
Tahoe's automatic at around 50k miles. THe dealer said - get
in line!

Ed
Old September 8th 04, 03:09 AM
Jonnie Santos

....sorry for top posting - and on a note of digression, I have noticed
several times the weirdest whining noise when I've been in a parking lot
next to a newer, full size GM truck/suv. I'm assuming they can't hear it
inside - it sound almost electronic, any ideas? (just curious)

Old September 8th 04, 04:26 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"C. E. White" > wrote:

> You have to be kidding.

Let's see:

'70s Vega (Turbo 350) - 150,000+ miles.
'87 Celebrity Wagon (towed with it!) - 225,000 miles.
And that's just cars I've been in. plenty of friend who've not blown up
transmissions in GM cars.

> The crap they iunstall in Tahoes is just an explosion waiting to happen.

Look how SUV owners drive! 80mph, fully overloaded, with 5 supersized
adults, in 90 degree weather, with th A/C on. I see tons of
'invinceable' SUVs stuck by the side of the road in the summer, almost
always an overheat. I won't even go into parking. 99% of the American
public does NOT know how to properly park a car with an automatic.

> A friend lost his Tahoe's automatic at around 50k miles.

4L60E. Same basic design GM's used for 2 decades now. The bugs were
worked out long ago. GM has 4 RWD automatics, 1 of which isn't used in
the US (unless you count Isuzu, i think they're still around). The 4L60
is a 20 year old design, the 4L80 is a TH400 with an overdrive, the 5L40
is some thing BMW and Caddy use (Easy way to **** off BMW snobs is to
point out that the automatic tranny is probbably made by GM...)

GM doesn't design a tranny per platform, they have a few designs which
go into EVERYTHING. If the 4L60 was a bad design*, 1/2 of GM's SUV line
would be dropping dead right now. The only real weaknesses of it are
it's not happy at high RPMs, and older non electronic (TH 700) variety
is known to blow up governors. If you've got a TH 700 that won't come
out of first, 99% of the time, it's a stripped gov gear.

> THe dealer said - get in line!

Beats Honda's amazing 5 speeds, they're having a HUGE recall action on
just about all of them, due to it being a ****ed design. We had the one
in our minivan 'inspected' (i.e., they look at it, yup, it's a
transmission). We're keeping our fingers crossed. The dealer STILL
can't come up with an answer as to WHY the thing can't pick a gear,
period. Honda also did a major action with their Acura line, too.

Chryslers suck too. The recent (i.e. last 25 years) 3, 4, and 5 speeds
are junk.

*it's a weird one, but not a bad one. Also AFAIK the ONLY 4 speed that
has 2 planataries, every other one has 3 or more, save for Ford's AOD
and derrived designs, which have a single planatary in them.
Old September 8th 04, 05:14 AM
Art

Electric fuel pump? They often whine.

Old September 8th 04, 05:47 AM
Patrick Usenet Cannon

In article >,
Philip Nasadowski > wrote:

> ...I see tons of
> 'invinceable' SUVs stuck by the side of the road in the summer...

"Tons"? That'd only be one.

Pat
Old September 8th 04, 11:38 PM
Charles H.

the whining is ,(if its the same thing i have heard) the fuel pumps.
c/k trucks.
my friends 2000 z71 is really loud, as my 2000 z71 do NOT whine.

Old September 10th 04, 08:27 PM
Dan Duncan

Philip Nasadowski > wrote:
> (Easy way to **** off BMW snobs is to
> point out that the automatic tranny is probbably made by GM...)

Isn't it enough to make fun of them for getting an automatic in
the first place?

-DanD

--
# Dan Duncan (kd4igw) http://pcisys.net/~dand
# Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it.
Old September 10th 04, 08:40 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
Dan Duncan > wrote:

> Isn't it enough to make fun of them for getting an automatic in
> the first place?

More useful to make fun of them for getting a BMW. Most overrated cars
next to Lexus. And I don't understand Lexus snobs at all. It's a
rebadged Toyota, nothing more.