In Praise Of Slowness (recommended reading)

Old January 17th 05, 07:28 AM
Carl Taylor

Default In Praise Of Slowness (recommended reading)

This book isn't about telling everyone to drive 55 MPH. It's not even
about driving per se. It's about the whole mindless attitude that we
must move faster and faster in life or we'll "fall behind." However,
the way people drive and what they drive is obviously linked to this
cultural disease. The author himself is described as a recovering
speedster, so I think many of you could learn something from the book.

C=2ET.

------------

http://www.harpercollins.com/global_...ok_xml.asp?is=
bn=3D006054578X

In Praise of Slowness
How A Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed

by Carl Honore

Book Description

We live in the age of speed. The world around us moves faster than ever
before. We strain to be more efficient, to cram more into each minute,
each hour, each day. Since the Industrial Revolution shifted the world
into high gear, the cult of speed has pushed us to a breaking point.
Consider these facts: Americans spend 40 percent less time with their
children than they did in the 1960s; the average American spends
seventy-two minutes of every day behind the wheel of a car; a typical
business executive now loses sixty-eight hours a year to being put on
hold; and American adults currently devote on average a meager half
hour per week to making love.

Living on the edge of exhaustion, we are constantly reminded by our
bodies and minds that the pace of life is spinning out of control. In
Praise of Slowness traces the history of our increasingly breathless
relationship with time, and tackles the consequences and conundrum of
living in this accelerated culture of our own creation. Why are we
always in such a rush? What is the cure for time-sickness? Is it
possible, or even desirable, to slow down? Realizing the price we pay
for unrelenting speed, people all over the world are reclaiming their
time and slowing down the pace -- and living happier, more productive,
and healthier lives as a result. A Slow revolution is taking place.

But here you will find no Luddite calls to overthrow technology and
seek a pre-industrial utopia. This is a modern revolution, championed
by e-mailing, cell phone-using lovers of sanity. The Slow philosophy
can be summed up in a single word -- balance. People are discovering
energy and efficiency where we may have least expected -- in slowing
down.

In this engaging and entertaining exploration, award-winning journalist
and rehabilitated speedaholic Carl Honor=E9 details our perennial love
affair with efficiency and speed in a perfect blend of anecdotal
reportage, history, and intellectual inquiry. In Praise of Slowness is
the first comprehensive look at the worldwide Slow movements making
their way into the mainstream -- in offices, factories, neighborhoods,
kitchens, hospitals, concert halls, bedrooms, gyms, and schools.
Defining a movement that is here to stay, this spirited manifesto will
make you completely rethink your relationship with time.

Old January 17th 05, 07:38 AM
Brent P

In article .com>, Carl Taylor wrote:
> This book isn't about telling everyone to drive 55 MPH. It's not even
> about driving per se. It's about the whole mindless attitude that we
> must move faster and faster in life or we'll "fall behind." However,
> the way people drive and what they drive is obviously linked to this
> cultural disease. The author himself is described as a recovering
> speedster, so I think many of you could learn something from the book.

Carl, you miss the point entirely. I agree with the theme on many
respects. However, driving fast and free from idiotcy is a joy, something
to be savored for as long as one can. This is why people travel to
certain places just to drive fast. It's why people go to race tracks,
it's why some people go to Germany, it's why some people used to go to
Montana. It's not about getting there fast, it's about the drive itself.

I know your goal is to get rid of anything people might enjoy.

Old January 17th 05, 07:38 AM
Brent P

Old January 17th 05, 05:11 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Sorry taylor, but speeding is NOT a "cultural disease". It's a deadly
crime and people that do it are psychopaths who should be locked up
forever.

Old January 19th 05, 07:13 AM

Ok, so turn yourself in, since you did 41 in a 25.

Old January 19th 05, 05:18 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Carl Taylor wrote:
> This book isn't about telling everyone to drive 55 MPH. It's not even
> about driving per se.

But you're going to try to make it fit into your own twisted little
agenda anyway, huh, Carl? Well, bite me. I'll read it *after* you
read Burt Levy's "The Last Open Road".

> The author himself is described as a recovering
> speedster, so I think many of you could learn something from the

book.

You *think*, huh? No; I disagree. You aren't sentient. You are a
moron-bot. Give my regards to your wife.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)