The Last Really Good Chrysler Product

Old October 24th 04, 12:25 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, James C. Reeves wrote:

>>> He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25%
>>> of the energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of
>>> our standard of living, where's the extra energy going to come from?
>>> Anybody got any ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year
>>> or so.

>> And the worst part is, it doesn't have to be this way. We could
>> simultaneously reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve and multiply
>> American jobs and greatly retard the increase of oil prices. All we'd
>> have to do is quit buying from China.

> People like their cheap products...so your solution isn't really viable.

One doesn't follow from the other. What people like or dislike doesn't
affect the viability of the solution, just its conceptual popularity.
People are stupidly shortsighted; what else is new?

> Even if we could get people in the USA to "buy-in" to that solution, you
> won't get the rest of the world to.

Wouldn't need to; the US is China's biggest export market.

> Actually Bush's energy plan had a very well balanced approach of

....of cutting down old-growth and cutting down new-growth and warring for
oil and burning rocks^h^h^h^h^hdirt^h^h^h^hcoal, yes.

> At one time the plan was available as a PDF file on the Whitehouse site...I
> read it.

I'd have to remain very skeptical that Mr. Bush would come up with a very
well balanced approach to energy policy unless I read the primary
document. Still got the PDF?

(BTW, why have you got your newsreader set to use the | character rather
than the > character for quoted text? The > character is the standard, and
many newsreaders don't handle | well.)
Old October 24th 04, 12:32 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Ted Azito wrote:

> > > As I remember, the Nissan SD33 was sold by Chrysler as a "Chrysler
> > > Nissan Diesel" (replete with a so-embossed chrome rocker box cover)
> > > and it had a standard Mopar bolt pattern.

> > Doubtful but possible. The factory installed a few of these turds into
> > Dodge D100 pickups in '78-'79.
> >
> > > One of the old Valiants with the trunk lid reminiscent of a Westinghouse
> > > 45 washer would make a good host for one of these great engines

> > Such a swap would be very much akin to entering a church, climbing atop
> > the altar, dropping trou and taking a dump.

> I believe you are errant.

I believe you meant "mistaken" or "incorrect", for "errant" makes no sense
in this context. Whichever of the three you meant, I am not.

> The Dodge _vans_ were briefly sold with Mits, not Nissan, engines.

That's as may be, but the D100 was available with the Nissan diesel in
'78-'79. I've got a contemporaneous Popular Mechanics with a road test of
it, around here somewhere, and at one time was in regular contact with a
former owner of such a truck.

> The SD Nissans are very tough, durable engines with reasonable torque
> and are simple to work on, and weight is about the same as a /6. Why
> you think that makes them "turds" is a mystery.

According to the road test (and the abovementioned former owner), the
trucks took about 35 minutes to go from 0 to 60, once you got them
started, which took considerable patience. Exhaust smoke was heavy.
Horsepower was something ridiculous for a D100 -- I'd have to re-read the
road test, but it was something like 72BHP; totally inadequate.

> They are not high horsepower and naturally aspirated ones will smoke
> a little sometimes. Power to weight isn't superb, but we weren't
> talking about flying one anyway.

Who the hell cares if you could get 22 mpg on the highway if you were
doing it at 22 mph trying to lug a week's worth of groceries up a 1%
grade?

DS
Old October 24th 04, 12:32 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 24th 04, 12:35 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Ted Azito wrote:

> > > Nissan Diesel" (replete with a so-embossed chrome rocker box cover)
> > > and it had a standard Mopar bolt pattern. One of the old Valiants
> > > with the trunk lid reminiscent of a Westinghouse 45 washer would
> > > make a good host for one of these great engines

> > Such a swap would be very much akin to entering a church, climbing atop
> > the altar, dropping trou and taking a dump.

> I believe you are errant.

I'll also add: A company in California offered a Dart/Valiant/Duster
conversion using this same Nissan diesel engine from '73 to '74. That
vehicle, like the factory-equipped '78-'79 D100 pickups, was excessively
noisy, bog slow, extremely smoky and bitchy to start from cold.

We're supposed to think you've got a great idea here because *why* again?

Old October 24th 04, 12:35 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 24th 04, 12:41 AM
indago

041023 1904 - James C. Reeves posted:

> "indago" > wrote in message
> | 041023 1801 - Ted Azito posted:

> | > Yes and yes.
> |
> | Speaking of "peckerwood"...
> |
> | http://www.arches.uga.edu/~dpopov/BigWoody.jpg
> |

> Yikes!

Some guys are real artists with a chainsaw aren't they???

Old October 24th 04, 12:41 AM
indago

Old October 24th 04, 01:11 AM
doc

"James C. Reeves" > wrote:

> Well stated...

And you had to repost all of it for your stupid "me too" when you could
have just said, "Moo."
Old October 24th 04, 01:11 AM
doc

Old October 24th 04, 02:15 AM
James C. Reeves

"indago" > wrote in message
| 041023 1904 - James C. Reeves posted:
|

| > "indago" > wrote in message
| > | 041023 1801 - Ted Azito posted:
| > |

| > |
| > | Speaking of "peckerwood"...
| > |
| > | http://www.arches.uga.edu/~dpopov/BigWoody.jpg
| > |

| > Yikes!
| >

| Some guys are real artists with a chainsaw aren't they???

Apparently so, but the artistic subject is a bit odd...unless it's the only
"woody" the guy can have!