POLL ::: If the rear differential of a 4WD jeep is overhauled by a Jeep Dealer because of failure

Old October 14th 04, 12:18 AM
aaa

Default POLL ::: If the rear differential of a 4WD jeep is overhauled by a Jeep Dealer because of failure

should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
problems in a quick check without customer request ???

Yes or No

Dealer comments welcome
Old October 14th 04, 12:52 AM
James C. Reeves

"aaa" > wrote in message
| should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
| failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
| problems in a quick check without customer request ???
|
| Yes or No
|
| Dealer comments welcome

They are in there doing a specific repair to a specific component, NOT in there
to perform routing maintenance. So, I would say no. The assumption is that
the owner has already had the routine maintenance checks performed as
recommended...which would cover the fluid check, etc. on your list. I'm sure
the cost for the rear diff repair doesn't include maintenance checks on any
other part of the vehicle. But, that's just my opinion.

Old October 14th 04, 12:52 AM
James C. Reeves

Old October 14th 04, 01:35 AM
aaa

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:18:30 -0400, aaa > wrote:

>should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
>failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
>problems in a quick check without customer request ???

The initial request was to investigate a rear whining sound, not
specifically to replace the differential. The rear differential was
then overhauled upon service advisor recommendations. Shoul entire
drive line been inspected ?

Old October 14th 04, 01:35 AM
aaa

Old October 14th 04, 01:45 AM
Matt Whiting

aaa wrote:
> should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
> failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
> problems in a quick check without customer request ???
>
> Yes or No
>
> Dealer comments welcome

Are you sure it is identical?

Matt

Old October 14th 04, 01:45 AM
Matt Whiting

aaa wrote:
> should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
> failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
> problems in a quick check without customer request ???
>
> Yes or No
>
> Dealer comments welcome

Are you sure it is identical?

Matt

Old October 14th 04, 01:46 AM
Matt Whiting

aaa wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:18:30 -0400, aaa > wrote:
>

>>should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
>>failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
>>problems in a quick check without customer request ???

> The initial request was to investigate a rear whining sound, not
> specifically to replace the differential. The rear differential was
> then overhauled upon service advisor recommendations. Shoul entire
> drive line been inspected ?

No.

Matt

Old October 14th 04, 01:46 AM
Matt Whiting

aaa wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:18:30 -0400, aaa > wrote:
>

>>should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
>>failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
>>problems in a quick check without customer request ???

> The initial request was to investigate a rear whining sound, not
> specifically to replace the differential. The rear differential was
> then overhauled upon service advisor recommendations. Shoul entire
> drive line been inspected ?

No.

Matt

Old October 15th 04, 02:01 AM
Tom & Debbie Heintz

"aaa" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:18:30 -0400, aaa > wrote:
>
>>should the dealership instinctively look at the front IDENTICAL high
>>failure rate differential such as for fluid check and other possible
>>problems in a quick check without customer request ???

> The initial request was to investigate a rear whining sound, not
> specifically to replace the differential. The rear differential was
> then overhauled upon service advisor recommendations. Shoul entire
> drive line been inspected ?
>>
>>Yes or No
>>
>>Dealer comments welcome

The question I have is has there been a subsequent problem with the front
differential or are you concerned that there could be one in the future?
Have you noticed any problems or noises since the work? If I'd been working
the job I wouldn't have automatically suspected a problem with the front
diff. I'm looking forward to hearing what has happened since you had the
rear diff work done. If you haven't had any problems I wouldn't fret
worrying when the front end will go out.

Best of luck,

Tom Heintz "Mopar Maniac"