Engine oil and transmission fluid mix-ups - how common?

Old August 8th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MaceFace

Default Engine oil and transmission fluid mix-ups - how common?

How often do garages and quick lube places wrongly put transmission
fluid into the engine or drain the transmission* when they're supposed
to drain the engine?

*pan has drain plug

Old August 8th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MT-2500[_10_]

MaceFace Wrote:
> How often do garages and quick lube places wrongly put transmission
> fluid into the engine or drain the transmission* when they're supposed
> to drain the engine?
>
> *pan has drain plug

Most garages know what they are doing.
BUT
Quickie lubes you are luckie if they even put the drain plug back or
oil back.
That is one reason they are called quickie jiffie lubes.:grinyes:
:rofl: :lol:
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 9th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

MaceFace > wrote in article
.com>...

> MT-2500 wrote:
>
> > MaceFace Wrote:

> > > How often do garages and quick lube places wrongly put transmission
> > > fluid into the engine or drain the transmission* when they're

supposed
> > > to drain the engine?
> > >
> > > *pan has drain plug

> > Most garages know what they are doing.
> > BUT
> > Quickie lubes you are luckie if they even put the drain plug back or
> > oil back.
> > That is one reason they are called quickie jiffie lubes.:grinyes:
> > :rofl: :lol:

> One legitimate garage forgot to put oil in my friend's engine and ran
> it for almost a minute before noticing this. They pulled a head and
> found some scuffing and ended up installing a rebuilt engine. This was
> normally a good garage, and they had the class to install a GM crate
> engine, not a cheap rebuilt or used one, as Wal-mart has been known to
> insist on when they've made this kind of mistake.

Was it a GM crate engine or was it a rebuilt engine? Apples and
oranges........

> I normally do all my own maintenance but may be moving to a place where
> this won't be possible, and I wonder if garages that accidentally run
> engines or transmissions without oil add the oil and don't admit
> anythign to the customers.

No more often than when garages forget to charge for something and the
customer points it out to them so they can collect for it.........

Honesty levels run about the same for customers and shops.

Old August 10th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MaceFace

* wrote:
> MaceFace > wrote in article
> .com>...

> > One legitimate garage forgot to put oil in my friend's engine and ran
> > it for almost a minute before noticing this. They pulled a head and
> > found some scuffing and ended up installing a rebuilt engine. This was
> > normally a good garage, and they had the class to install a GM crate
> > engine, not a cheap rebuilt or used one, as Wal-mart has been known to
> > insist on when they've made this kind of mistake.

> Was it a GM crate engine or was it a rebuilt engine? Apples and
> oranges........

I don't know, but it was from GM and wasn't just a GM engine rebuilt by
someone else. The original was over 100K old.