Late 1930s through 1940s Volkswagen and Opel designs.

Old August 6th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
socraticquest

Default Late 1930s through 1940s Volkswagen and Opel designs.

Hello,

I'm seeking a vehicle that is similar to the '1938 Opel Olympia'
design; except this vehicle is like an 'Opel Olympia' with the rounded
Volkswagen-Beetle-like front design. What is the specific model?

The vehicle described may have been used in World-War II in North
Africa; and was a dark-grey-like color. Weren't many of the vehicles
used in N. Africa painted light camouflage colors for desert
environments? What was the Post-War history of these vehicles still in
use?

Thank-you

Old August 6th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

socraticquest wrote:

> I'm seeking a vehicle that is similar to the '1938 Opel Olympia'
> design; except this vehicle is like an 'Opel Olympia' with the rounded
> Volkswagen-Beetle-like front design. What is the specific model?

If either this
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/o/39...1_Baydeww2.jpg
this
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/o/opol38cl1wh.jpg
or this
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/o/ol...3_Baydeww2.jpg
is what you're looking for, these are Opel Olympias.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old August 6th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ralf Ballis

socraticquest wrote:

> I'm seeking a vehicle that is similar to the '1938 Opel Olympia'
> design; except this vehicle is like an 'Opel Olympia' with the rounded
> Volkswagen-Beetle-like front design. What is the specific model?

This could be a Steayr Typ 250:

http://www.zuckerfabrik24.de/steyrpu...s2/150_bwm.jpg

Civil version:

http://www.zuckerfabrik24.de/steyrpu...2/150_155k.jpg

Or maybe a Tatra V809:

http://www.hobby-guensel.de/media/RK-973110tumb.JPG
(Picture shows only a model!)

This 4 X 4 air cooled 4 cylinder 2,5 Liter volume 50 PS power
car was delivered to the Africa Corp.

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Erfinder des Abgasturboladers Dr. Alfred J. Büchi: "Die Abgase,
Old August 7th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

socraticquest wrote:

> The Tatra V809 most closely describes the vehicle I'm seeking. Except,
> the 'Tatra V809' I had seen in a photograph was dark-grey in a desert
> environment, and not the camouflage colors used in WWII.

The Germans developed a system of painting that allowed very rapid color
changes. They also transferred outfits a lot. It's quite likely that that photo
was of a recently transferred vehicle that hadn't gotten its new paint job yet.

Old August 7th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
socraticquest

George Patterson wrote:
> socraticquest wrote:
>
> > The Tatra V809 most closely describes the vehicle I'm seeking. Except,
> > the 'Tatra V809' I had seen in a photograph was dark-grey in a desert
> > environment, and not the camouflage colors used in WWII.

> The Germans developed a system of painting that allowed very rapid color
> changes. They also transferred outfits a lot. It's quite likely that that photo
> was of a recently transferred vehicle that hadn't gotten its new paint job yet.
>
> George Patterson
> Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
> your slightly older self.

Hello,

Actually, the vehicle I believe I'm seeking is the 'Steyr 250 Field
Car' from World War II
in North Africa.

The photograph I saw of a 'Steyr 250 Field Car' was a dark-grey color
in a desert environment. Did the Germans apply color transformation in
the North Africa environment? Where these cars found in the North
Africa Desert in the Post World-War II years?

Thank-you

Old August 7th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
George Patterson

socraticquest wrote:

> The photograph I saw of a 'Steyr 250 Field Car' was a dark-grey color
> in a desert environment. Did the Germans apply color transformation in
> the North Africa environment? Where these cars found in the North
> Africa Desert in the Post World-War II years?

Germany developed a type of paint that never completely cured and could be
removed fairly easily. They painted their ground equipment with the basic gray,
and this would tend to be the scheme used in Europe. When units were
transferred, the vehicles were painted over with the special paint in the scheme
used in that arena. For large units with several thousand vehicles, this would
take some time, and some vehicles might see action wearing inappropriate paint
schemes. Vehicles intended for use well behind the front lines might never get
repainted.

I can't help you with your last question except to say that captured vehicles
were used by both sides. Rommel, for example, used a captured British vehicle as
his field staff car. Serviceable vehicles of all types were removed as units
left the area.

Old August 9th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ralf Ballis

socraticquest wrote:

> The Tatra V809 most closely describes the vehicle I'm seeking. Except,
> the 'Tatra V809'**I*had*seen*in*a*photograph*was*dark-grey*in*a*desert
> environment, and not the camouflage colors used in WWII. Are there
> other makes of vehicles similar to the 'Tatra V809' design;**that
> "Ferdinand Porsche" helped design?

They only say that general Rommel ordered a sedan for the tropic of this
Tatra V809.

Regards,

Ralf
Old August 9th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
Ralf Ballis

socraticquest wrote:

> Actually, the vehicle I believe I'm seeking is the 'Steyr 250 Field
> Car' from World War II
> in North Africa.

They say that this car was used only from the Austrian combat troops in WW
II.

Regards,

Ralf