Hub and disc assy doesnt go back far enough

Old March 13th 05, 01:15 AM
wortho

Default Hub and disc assy doesnt go back far enough

I am in dire need of assistance as I have changed my bearings and repacked
the hub with grease and trying to install the disc assembley back onto the
stub axle, but it seems as though it is not going back far enough to allow
the calipers to fit on.

The car is a FJ40 Landcruiser 1976 and I am installing a FJ60 disc brake
assembley and swivel hub.

I have measured the bearings, they are the same sizes (as the old ones), I
have checked the gaskets between the swivel hub and rotor backing plate -
but, it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the calipers to line up
correctly.... the only thing I can think of is maybe putting it all on the
car and just tightening the hell out of the locking nut in the hope that it
will compress the seals or something....??

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks very much in advance...

Wortho.

Old March 13th 05, 03:53 PM
davidj92

wortho wrote:
> I am in dire need of assistance as I have changed my bearings and
> repacked the hub with grease and trying to install the disc assembley
> back onto the stub axle, but it seems as though it is not going back
> far enough to allow the calipers to fit on.
>
> The car is a FJ40 Landcruiser 1976 and I am installing a FJ60 disc
> brake assembley and swivel hub.
>
> I have measured the bearings, they are the same sizes (as the old
> ones), I have checked the gaskets between the swivel hub and rotor
> backing plate - but, it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the
> calipers to line up correctly.... the only thing I can think of is
> maybe putting it all on the car and just tightening the hell out of
> the locking nut in the hope that it will compress the seals or
> something....??

Wortho,
I don't know how to solve your problem but, I'd say you shouldn't have to
tighten that hard in order to pull the assembly up. This could be correct
but I'd find out for sure before trying this as you could damage internal
components.
HTH, davidj92

Old March 13th 05, 04:48 PM
Steve W.

Just to clarify this. Your saying you took these parts apart and
repacked the bearings and now they will not go back together OR You are
trying to put FJ60 rotors onto an FJ40 and they are not fitting. Very
different things there. IF the parts were working together before and
you took them apart and now they won't go back together I would say you
have an internal problem in the hub. If you are trying to fit parts that
were not originally together they may not fit.

--
Steve

Old March 13th 05, 05:41 PM
Mike Walsh

You should be using a new seal. Maybe it is installed incorrectly or is too tight to slide onto the spindle. Clean the spindle where the seal goes, apply some grease to the seal, and wobble the disc to get it to go onto the spindle.

"Steve W." wrote:

> Just to clarify this. Your saying you took these parts apart and
> repacked the bearings and now they will not go back together OR You are
> trying to put FJ60 rotors onto an FJ40 and they are not fitting. Very
> different things there. IF the parts were working together before and
> you took them apart and now they won't go back together I would say you
> have an internal problem in the hub. If you are trying to fit parts that
> were not originally together they may not fit.
>
> --
> Steve
>
> > wortho wrote:
> > > I am in dire need of assistance as I have changed my bearings and
> > > repacked the hub with grease and trying to install the disc

> assembley
> > > back onto the stub axle, but it seems as though it is not going back
> > > far enough to allow the calipers to fit on.
> > >
> > > The car is a FJ40 Landcruiser 1976 and I am installing a FJ60 disc
> > > brake assembley and swivel hub.
> > >
> > > I have measured the bearings, they are the same sizes (as the old
> > > ones), I have checked the gaskets between the swivel hub and rotor
> > > backing plate - but, it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the
> > > calipers to line up correctly.... the only thing I can think of is
> > > maybe putting it all on the car and just tightening the hell out of
> > > the locking nut in the hope that it will compress the seals or
> > > something....??

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old March 14th 05, 06:04 AM

some bearings are the same, but come with different thickness races.
I did this on the ford fs bronco and had to go back to the store and get the
bearings with thinner races.
the part # was 1 number different, but the races were thicker.
old john

Old March 14th 05, 01:58 PM
HLS

"wortho" > wrote in message
> I am in dire need of assistance as I have changed my bearings and repacked
> the hub with grease and trying to install the disc assembley back onto the
> stub axle, but it seems as though it is not going back far enough to allow
> the calipers to fit on.
>
> The car is a FJ40 Landcruiser 1976 and I am installing a FJ60 disc brake
> assembley and swivel hub.
>
> I have measured the bearings, they are the same sizes (as the old ones), I
> have checked the gaskets between the swivel hub and rotor backing plate -
> but, it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the calipers to line up
> correctly.... the only thing I can think of is maybe putting it all on the
> car and just tightening the hell out of the locking nut in the hope that

it
> will compress the seals or something....??
>
> Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks very much in advance...
>
> Wortho.

5 mm is not normal. You have something cocked, incorrectly installed, or of
the wrong size. Don't try to force it on. Find out why it isn't slipping
into place.