96 Jetta Clutch Cable

Old July 18th 05, 04:34 PM
Warren Abrey

Default 96 Jetta Clutch Cable

Hey,

Has anyone had any problems with the manual adjust clutch cable for an MKIII
jetta 2.0? I just had my second one go on me... just like the first,
alittle over a year old the cable pulled out of the crimp on the pedal end.
It was installed properly, according to my bently manual.... Is this a
common problem?

Old July 19th 05, 01:30 PM
One out of many daves

Was it an aftermarket one or one from the dealer?
Was it stiff to operate? Did you lube it before you installed it?

Old July 19th 05, 02:58 PM
Warren Abrey

They have all be genuine VW parts... the dealership told me there was
nothing I need to do to the cables before I installed them, so no I didn't
lube them, they are mostly covered in a plastic anyways.

m...

Old July 20th 05, 04:37 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Maybe a bad batch of cables. The USA 96 Jettas that I see usually have
self-adjusting clutch cables.
Although I have been sent a manually adjusting cable before, I opted not to
use it.

Is it hard to press the clutch pedal down?
I have seen some vehicles, especially VW Foxes, have old and stiff pressure
plates. So being hard to press something weak has to break and it is
usually the cable.

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old July 20th 05, 04:41 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

>Maybe a bad batch of cables. The USA 96 Jettas that I see usually have
>self-adjusting clutch cables.
>Although I have been sent a manually adjusting cable before, I opted not to
>use it.

Self-adjusting clutch cable? Maybe I have one. I sure haven't
adjusted mine, and it feels fine.

Old July 20th 05, 01:34 PM
One out of many daves

lol
You should have a hydraulic system on your VR6 equipped VW = no cable! ;-)

Old July 20th 05, 01:58 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, One out of many daves wrote:

>lol
>You should have a hydraulic system on your VR6 equipped VW = no cable! ;-)

Boing. I knew that. Then my brain skipped.

Old July 20th 05, 04:46 PM
Warren Abrey

I originally had a self asjusting cable, but had more problems with that
one, VW also makes the manual adjusting cable because they had tonnes of
problems with the self adjusts... don't ever touch that unit by the way,
breathing on them will break it..

OK... Well thanks everybody it appears that my vw likes the taste of clutch
cables...

oh well.

. ..

Old July 20th 05, 10:03 PM
dave

Then I might suspect the rubber washer/cushion on the firewall AND on the
transmission.
Maybe the washers for the manual adjusted clutch are different than the self
adjusting ones.
I think I have changed 2 clutch slave cylinders on the VR6 transmissions and
maybe 1 self adjusting clutch cable on a 2.0 engine.
I don't see those self adjusting clutch cables go bad that often. But they
can.

Just a thought and good luck.
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"Warren Abrey" > wrote in message
news
>I originally had a self asjusting cable, but had more problems with that
>one, VW also makes the manual adjusting cable because they had tonnes of
>problems with the self adjusts... don't ever touch that unit by the way,
>breathing on them will break it..
>
> OK... Well thanks everybody it appears that my vw likes the taste of
> clutch cables...
>
> oh well.

Clutch Cable Stuck in the middle After Bowden Tube Camus VW air cooled 19 April 6th 05 12:03 AM
91 Jetta Clutch Cable Rex Merriweather VW water cooled 2 March 2nd 05 03:33 PM
Adjusting clutch cable Ford Mustang 5 February 28th 05 09:54 PM
91 Jetta self adjusting clutch cable. Rex Merriweather VW water cooled 4 February 19th 05 05:39 PM
95 Neon Clutch cable issues mike Dodge 0 January 4th 05 09:38 PM