Tranny problems

Old December 4th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
kastnna

Default Tranny problems

I have a 2003 Explorer (4x4 V8 NBX) with an automatic transmission and
about $60k miles.

Recently, when shifting from Drive (D) to Park (P) the gear shift
lever gets stuck in Reverse (R). I have to jiggle the lever to get
into Park. When I park after backing up (going from R to P only) the
transmission shifts smoothly.

Before I go to the mechanic, can anyone shed some light on possible
reasons/problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 4th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"kastnna" > wrote in message
> I have a 2003 Explorer (4x4 V8 NBX) with an automatic transmission and
> about $60k miles.
>
> Recently, when shifting from Drive (D) to Park (P) the gear shift
> lever gets stuck in Reverse (R). I have to jiggle the lever to get
> into Park. When I park after backing up (going from R to P only) the
> transmission shifts smoothly.
>
> Before I go to the mechanic, can anyone shed some light on possible
> reasons/problems?
>
> Thanks in advance.

This is a longshot, but on my '91 it was having trouble shifting downward
(to 1st or 2nd). There is a little "boot" covering the end of the cable
where it connects to the transmission. It was full of dried mud. I sprayed
it with water and it's been fine ever since. Yours seems to be sticking
going the other way but it might be worth a look.

If your transmission is actually going into the gear you chose it might just
be the indicator that shows what gear you are in. Is it actually in P when
it says R?

Look for this recent post on the subject:

From: "Mikepier" >
Subject: 99 gear shift indicator thumbwheel adjuster not working
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:04 AM

Old December 4th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
cadshop

How about the plastic bushings on the shaft from the lever down the steering
column? Do you have a lot of up and down play in the shift lever as if it
was not bolted down to the steering column?

Old December 4th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
kastnna

On Dec 4, 1:31 pm, "Ulysses" /> wrote:

> If your transmission is actually going into the gear you chose it might just
> be the indicator that shows what gear you are in. Is it actually in P when
> it says R?

Thanks for the input so far. To answer your question, the transmission
is not going into park, but getting hung in reverse. If I take my foot
off the brake the truck will most assuredly begin backing up. I wish
it were just the console display.

Tranny problems [email protected] 4x4 14 May 8th 06 01:14 AM
96 sl2 tranny problems christianone Saturn 5 August 5th 05 03:40 AM
tranny problems jmn Chrysler 10 August 1st 05 05:21 AM
4x4 tranny problems hamlin 4x4 2 March 21st 05 03:38 PM
95 SL2 tranny problems Mike Grossberg Saturn 7 January 27th 05 02:13 AM