Check Eng Light On, No Failure Codes

Old December 3rd 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
cadshop

Default Check Eng Light On, No Failure Codes

I have a 95 Explorer with133k miles. The check engine light is on most of
the time. The Accutron code checker shows no faults. I have done the
"wiggle" test and wiggled all connectors and no faults are indicated. The
car runs fine, the mileage is normal, plugs were replaced at 111k miles just
because I thought it was about time. I have replaced the gasket on the gas
cap and the PCV valve as items that may cause a fault that is not listed in
the book. I have not done a fuel pressure check. Every once in a while the
engine may hesitate when taking off from a stop, that is the only thing that
the car is doing wrong. Any ideas?

Old December 3rd 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"cadshop" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have a 95 Explorer with133k miles. The check engine light is on most of
> the time. The Accutron code checker shows no faults. I have done the
> "wiggle" test and wiggled all connectors and no faults are indicated. The
> car runs fine, the mileage is normal, plugs were replaced at 111k miles

just
> because I thought it was about time. I have replaced the gasket on the gas
> cap and the PCV valve as items that may cause a fault that is not listed

in
> the book. I have not done a fuel pressure check. Every once in a while the
> engine may hesitate when taking off from a stop, that is the only thing

that
> the car is doing wrong. Any ideas?

Recently the CEL came on on my '97. I replaced the air filter and cleaned
the throttle body, MAF, and IAC. After three drive cycles the CEL went off
and has not come back on. A dirty IAC might cause some low speed
hesitation. I used carburator cleaner (spray) on mine but brake cleaner
might be safer on the sensors. Be gentle and careful. I don't know if
there is a difference between throttle body cleaner and carburator cleaner
but I've used both with success on the throttle body.

Old December 4th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
cadshop

Thanks for the suggestions I did all of those things today. The light is
still on but I'll give it a couple of days. I had also used a propane torch
to direct propane around the manifold and various vacum connections and
never noticed any engine speed changes. This weekend I was out of town and
the car sat outside in below freezing weather. The check engine light seldom
came on in the cold temps. Normally the light comes on about 4 seconds after
starting the engine making me believe that the computer did a check and
found a fault. If I do an immediate scan I only get a code 116 for too low
of coolant temperature. However the scan clears the light and it does not
come on again until I restart the engine. Interesting. I'm glad my smog
check is not due for awhile so there is no real rush to get the problem
fixed.

Old December 4th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
cadshop

Yes, several times in the last 2 months. Only one time did I get any codes
and that was a 214 and 538. I unplugged and reconnected the connectors to
the Ignition Control Module, PCM and crank sensor. I have never seen the
codes again.

Old December 4th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

. ..