Were the '96 - '99 Civics the best of the line?

Old August 2nd 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_1_]

Default Were the '96 - '99 Civics the best of the line?

My daughter just totaled our '97 Odyssey and, since this fall all 3 kids
will be in college, I am pondering replacing it with a smaller vehicle.
Thing is, we had a '96 Civic (eldest son totaled years ago) and it seemed to
be the best car we've ever had. It handled and drive very well, smoothly,
and quitely. The '01 Civics have a harsher ride, are noisy, and don't seem
to handle well. The suspension seems like a cloan of the old Saturn sedan
suspension.

So I am wondering whether maybe I should try to find a good used '98 or '99
Civic. Given that we will for a short time have 3 in college, and for a few
years thereafter 2, a new car is out of the question.

I have never been an Accord fan - my daughter and in-laws have them and they
don't seem as nimble or efficient as the Civics, and don't provide THAT much
more room for any particular model year.

Thoughts?

KWW

Old August 2nd 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

KWW wrote:
> My daughter just totaled our '97 Odyssey and, since this fall all 3 kids
> will be in college, I am pondering replacing it with a smaller vehicle.
> Thing is, we had a '96 Civic (eldest son totaled years ago) and it seemed to
> be the best car we've ever had. It handled and drive very well, smoothly,
> and quitely. The '01 Civics have a harsher ride, are noisy, and don't seem
> to handle well. The suspension seems like a cloan of the old Saturn sedan
> suspension.

that's because it pretty much is! mcpherson struts = cheap. end of story.

> So I am wondering whether maybe I should try to find a good used '98 or '99
> Civic. Given that we will for a short time have 3 in college, and for a few
> years thereafter 2, a new car is out of the question.
>
> I have never been an Accord fan - my daughter and in-laws have them and they
> don't seem as nimble or efficient as the Civics, and don't provide THAT much
> more room for any particular model year.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> KWW

imo, the best civic honda ever produced was the 88-91, and if you want
to be really specific, the 89's. light, fast, and with the body that
suspension was designed for. provided the driver's not too "generously
built", the seats offer much more side support too, so you can
comfortably take much better advantage of the vehicle's handling.
Old August 2nd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

KWW wrote:

> My daughter just totaled our '97 Odyssey and, since this fall all 3 kids
> will be in college, I am pondering replacing it with a smaller vehicle.
> Thing is, we had a '96 Civic (eldest son totaled years ago) and it seemed to
> be the best car we've ever had.

-------------------------------------

Count your blessings. You talk like it's an everyday occurrence that
your kids walk away from bad car accidents.

'Curly'
Old August 3rd 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article >,
"KWW" > wrote:

> My daughter just totaled our '97 Odyssey and, since this fall all 3 kids
> will be in college, I am pondering replacing it with a smaller vehicle.
> Thing is, we had a '96 Civic (eldest son totaled years ago) and it seemed to
> be the best car we've ever had. It handled and drive very well, smoothly,
> and quitely. The '01 Civics have a harsher ride, are noisy, and don't seem
> to handle well. The suspension seems like a cloan of the old Saturn sedan
> suspension.
>
> So I am wondering whether maybe I should try to find a good used '98 or '99
> Civic. Given that we will for a short time have 3 in college, and for a few
> years thereafter 2, a new car is out of the question.
>
> I have never been an Accord fan - my daughter and in-laws have them and they
> don't seem as nimble or efficient as the Civics, and don't provide THAT much
> more room for any particular model year.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> KWW

The engineering refinement was beautiful in the 96/97 Civics. Every
system was simple and did exactly what it needed to do. Unfortunately
they're getting high on milage now.

I had an 01 Civic as a loaner and it wasn't much fun to drive. Bumps
modulated turns, making it feel jittery and unsteady at high speeds. It
felt like bad wheel alignment but with no wandering while going straight.
Old August 3rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

> I have never been an Accord fan - my daughter and in-laws have them and
> they don't seem as nimble or efficient as the Civics, and don't provide
> THAT much more room for any particular model year.

Because the Accord is NOT as nimble or efficient as the Civics! The Civic
is definately more fun to drive while the Accord is basically a bigger car.
I'll say the Accord is quieter and more comfortable for long drives. Choice
will depend on which is more important to you.

-Dave

Fuel line replacement in the tunnel. Remco VW air cooled 4 January 6th 06 02:54 AM
Giving line cutters what they deserve Doug Warner Driving 28 December 14th 05 09:53 PM
63 fuel line suggestions lib Corvette 2 November 19th 05 05:22 AM
No EGR yet I have an EGR vacuum line sw Ford Explorer 6 June 7th 05 03:42 AM
fuel line 1978 Vette: Process45 Corvette 8 November 2nd 04 02:15 PM