1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix

Old June 14th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default 1998 Explorer XLT - radio display blank - known problem and fix

I have a '98 Explorer and just experienced this problem. The radio,
CD, and tape deck are functional in every way, its just that the
clock/radio display is dark and so you can't see what station you're
on, CD track, etc. Apparently it's a common problem; I found it very
disappointing and annoying.

Thank God for D Harrison, who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. I
couldn't reply with my thanks because the topic is more than 30 days
old, but I thought I'd include a link and post my gratitude.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...da34a126ed0c8f

My specific issue was a little different, as resoldering the surface
mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the
problem in my case. So I pulled the unit again, and resoldered every
surface mount component connection on the board. That did the trick.
I am just amazed that anyone could figure out this problem - all the
solder connections looked fine to me, and I wouldn't have known what a
"surface mount" component was without Mr Harrison's accurate
description of the board's layout.

I also want to post a link to a very helpful site that shows how to
fashion the radio removal tools:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/removal.htm

Thanks to all this, a $500 problem cost me nothing but time to fix.

Thank you for this group, thanks for Google, and thanks to Mr Harrison!

Old June 14th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Very common issue, fixed it myself a few years back. I think the key to the
fix long term is to desolder the large through-hole 1W resistors and adjust
their leads so they don't sit so close to the board. I believe these
resitstors get hot and cause continual connection/solder issues with the
surface mount components on the other side.

--
Allan Williams

oups.com...

Old June 18th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

TJ wrote:
> I have a '98 Explorer and just experienced this problem. The radio,
> CD, and tape deck are functional in every way, its just that the
> clock/radio display is dark and so you can't see what station you're
> on, CD track, etc. Apparently it's a common problem; I found it very
> disappointing and annoying.
>
> Thank God for D Harrison, who posted a fix in 2002 on this group. I
> couldn't reply with my thanks because the topic is more than 30 days
> old, but I thought I'd include a link and post my gratitude.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...da34a126ed0c8f
>
> My specific issue was a little different, as resoldering the surface
> mount components Mr Harrison indicated were his problem did not fix the
> problem in my case. So I pulled the unit again, and resoldered every
> surface mount component connection on the board. That did the trick.
> I am just amazed that anyone could figure out this problem - all the
> solder connections looked fine to me, and I wouldn't have known what a
> "surface mount" component was without Mr Harrison's accurate
> description of the board's layout.
>
> I also want to post a link to a very helpful site that shows how to
> fashion the radio removal tools:
>
> http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/removal.htm
>
> Thanks to all this, a $500 problem cost me nothing but time to fix.
>
> Thank you for this group, thanks for Google, and thanks to Mr Harrison!

Harrison found the radio fix posted by someone else, long ago. He
repeated it on his web site for a while, then began charging $$$ for the
information.
When others made the same info available on their own sites, free of
charge, Harrison sent them email threats, impersonated an attorney, had
pictures removed from free hosting services, had archived pages pulled,
etc., etc.
The guy is a creep.
Old June 18th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Agree strongly with your opinion Sparkle! Passed same on to TJ in an "off
group" msg. I'm sure like myself, you have seen the "Craig's List" postings
on nearly every major city list, whereby that advertisement is posted as a
"LOCAL" service. Hard to be local in all 50 states :>)
Bill
link.net...

Old June 20th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Msg received and answered.

Sorry, didn't know what a jerk Harrison was. Was just relieved and
thankful to be able to fix the problem myself.
I did run into at least one website that would only offer the solution
if you paid $$ through PayPal. Never seen that before; I hope that
practice stays the exception and not the rule.

Old July 8th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TJ

Dang. Radio display is blank again, the resoldering fix no longer
works, and it looks like the toroid component on the surface of the
pwoer board has leaked it's guts out. I wonder if it overheated and
melted?

Does anyone know how to go about getting a replacement power board for
the faceplate to this radio unit? I want to repait the unit rather
that replace it, and I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks

Old July 9th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ross via CarKB.com

You might just want to hit Ebay and pick up a used unit. Lots of em on there.

Old July 9th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

This is a miserable design, indeed -- dissipates more power than it
delivers, with nowhere for all that heat to go. A switching power supply
that looks like it had been designed by a 12-year old hobbyist.
You can buy a new board from Pioneer for around $100 (actually, it's a three
board kit, the two others you won't need). Can't remember the P/N . Google
the archives of this group - someone posted that number a couple years ago.
The replacement board has only a minor improvement, in the form of the two
leaded power resistors stood off the board surface. But so far so good --
mine has now lasted 1-1/2 years.

Also, a guy who goes by 'shared memory' or some such keeps advertising here.
His board repair price is about the same as the cost of a new one at
Pioneer, though.

Old July 9th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Kenneth Fields

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/
you can buy the board and replace it yourself. I did it easily and I'm not
mechanical. It's been working fine for about 8 months now.

ups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Rubino

Well i ordered the board from Absolute Tech, just came in tonight, and cant
wait to see a constant display after almost years. Funny thing is that the
display would work for about 15 mins in extreme temps either above 100, or
below or at zero for about 5 minutes, I was always like check the staions,
and settings to make sure they were stable. I would tell my wife and
son....dont touch the freekin buttons...
. ..