Dana Mode 20 Axle Tube Diameter?

Old May 6th 05, 03:12 PM
Jeepers!

Default Dana Mode 20 Axle Tube Diameter?

Am at work and need to order spring perches from 4x4.com Can someone
tell me the diameter of the rear axle tube of an 1985 CJ-7? They don't
know (guys who do are out of town Jeeping) and I never measured them.

THX

Old May 6th 05, 07:42 PM
Jeff Strickland

I don't know the diameter, but when I bought my u-bolts, there was only one
size. There are two sizes for the front because one of them actually has to
fit over the diff itself while th eother one only fits around the tube. But
the u-bolts on the back both fit around the tube, so they are the same size.

"Jeepers!" > wrote in message
> Am at work and need to order spring perches from 4x4.com Can someone
> tell me the diameter of the rear axle tube of an 1985 CJ-7? They don't
> know (guys who do are out of town Jeeping) and I never measured them.
>
> THX

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old May 6th 05, 08:49 PM
Jeepers!

On 2005-05-06 13:42:26 -0500, "Jeff Strickland" > said:

> I don't know the diameter, but when I bought my u-bolts, there was only one
> size. There are two sizes for the front because one of them actually has to
> fit over the diff itself while th eother one only fits around the tube. But
> the u-bolts on the back both fit around the tube, so they are the same size.

Yeah, I knew that. I wanted to get the order placed, but I'm gonna
havta wait until I get back to the house and measure it.

Old May 6th 05, 09:36 PM
Jeff Strickland

That's what I'm telling you, there is only one size. Call the Order Desk and
tell them you have an AMC20, and the ubolts will be the right ones.

By the way, it IS the AMC Model 20, not the Dana Model 20. Perhaps that is
the problem with the guys on the Order Desk ...

Old May 6th 05, 09:50 PM
Jeepers!

On 2005-05-06 15:36:53 -0500, "Jeff Strickland" > said:

> That's what I'm telling you, there is only one size. Call the Order
> Desk and tell them you have an AMC20, and the ubolts will be the right
> ones.

You mean I should ask him to get out some AMC u bolts and have him
measure them?

> By the way, it IS the AMC Model 20, not the Dana Model 20. Perhaps that
> is the problem with the guys on the Order Desk ...

No, my bad, typo, here. AMC. The problem is the spring perches come
with different diameter arches in them. You buy the size you need, not
by application.

Old May 6th 05, 10:30 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I may have confused them by calling your AMC-20 a Dana.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 6th 05, 10:53 PM
Jeff Strickland

said:

> > That's what I'm telling you, there is only one size. Call the Order
> > Desk and tell them you have an AMC20, and the ubolts will be the right
> > ones.

> You mean I should ask him to get out some AMC u bolts and have him
> measure them?

No. You should tell them you have an '85 CJ7 with the AMC20 rear axle, and
this will drive you to the correct u-bolts without having to measure
anything. The nut takes a 3/4" socket, it that helps.

> > By the way, it IS the AMC Model 20, not the Dana Model 20. Perhaps that
> > is the problem with the guys on the Order Desk ...

> No, my bad, typo, here. AMC. The problem is the spring perches come
> with different diameter arches in them. You buy the size you need, not
> by application.

I don't remember this. I replaced my springs a few years ago - do not get
ProComp leaf springs if you can avoid it - and I replaced the spring perches
at the same time. I don't remember two sizes of spring perches. That is, I
think there are narrow springs and wide springs, and this would affect the
perches, but the axle is still the same, so the u-bolts would be the same.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old May 7th 05, 07:10 AM
Rusted

I don't have calipers large enough to measure accurate enough. But by
using the "eye-ball across the tape measure" method I got 2 3/8". I have
seen some expensive custom u-bolts that did not work right because the
measurements were just a little off, so don't use my number as your final
and only source.

Old May 7th 05, 08:01 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

’83-’86 wide-track CJs: These axles came from the factory with
30-spline one-piece flanged axles and many have limited slips. The
axletubes are 2 ¾ inches in diameter and much stronger than the 2 ½-inch
tubes found on earlier Dana 44s:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...58/index4.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 7th 05, 03:26 PM
Greg

Hey bill how about the size of an 81 narrow track, are they just as
strong?