All Wheel Drive Options?

Old February 22nd 05, 04:40 PM
HotRod

Default All Wheel Drive Options?

I'm looking for an "All Wheel Drive" system that I can start a build-up
from, can anyone recommend a good starting point? Website for all wheel
drive parts etc. or a car/truck model to have a look at.

I need something that can be stretched and handle up to 500hp. IDEAS? I want
true All wheel drive not 4x4.

Old February 22nd 05, 05:00 PM

Audis Quattro comes to mind .. its true AWD (Torsen Diffs) and handles
430 HP of their V8 motor .... it should hold up to 500 HP at least for
a reasonable period ..

It will be expensive though ..
Matt

Old February 22nd 05, 05:53 PM
Erik-Jan Geniets

HotRod wrote:

> I'm looking for an "All Wheel Drive" system that I can start a build-up
> from, can anyone recommend a good starting point? Website for all wheel
> drive parts etc. or a car/truck model to have a look at.
>
> I need something that can be stretched and handle up to 500hp. IDEAS? I want
> true All wheel drive not 4x4.

You probably mean: not part-time 4x4 here ?

What about a Range Rover.
The chassis makes it easy to built your own whatever on top and you have
full time 4WD.
Erik-Jan,

--
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
Old February 22nd 05, 07:20 PM
HotRod

From what I've read and heard, Please correct me if I'm wrong, the
difference between 4x4 and "All Wheel Drive" AWD is that on a 4x4 system the
wheels always travel at the same speed like in my GM Trail Blazer. Great for
rock crawling but not racing, I believe that AWD systems are viscous coupled
and therefore each wheel is able to travel at it's own speed and I will get
a lot better traction control in snow and rain???

I'm building a custom car and think I want AWD for rain and snow.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:50 PM
Erik-Jan Geniets

HotRod wrote:

> From what I've read and heard, Please correct me if I'm wrong, the
> difference between 4x4 and "All Wheel Drive" AWD is that on a 4x4 system the
> wheels always travel at the same speed like in my GM Trail Blazer.

The open diffs, as in your GM, will allow the wheels to spin at
different speeds. So go for this set-up. This will probably last longer
with a 500HP engine compared to viscous coupled systems like in the
Audi.
If the wheels on your GM weren't able to spin at different speeds it
would almost be impossible to take any corner with that car.
For rockcrawling you need lockers in the front and rear diff. Will be
horrible on ice and snow.
Your car or a standard Range Rover does not have lockers.
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:49 PM
HotRod

Any chance you can explain to me why when driving an AWD car the ride was
nice and smooth, including sharp corners but on my 4x4 trail blazer taking a
corner is tough, I tend to feel like I'm fighting the wheel the whole time?

Old February 22nd 05, 09:34 PM
Mike Romain

The system you just described can leave you with only one of any 4
potential drive tires spinning on ice.

At least with a 'part time' 4x4 you will always have one front and one
back spinning and if you put limited slip or a manual locker front and
rear, you can have all 4 goosing it if needed.

Even Jeeps that offer the select trac 'full time' or AWD 4x4 with a
coupler front to rear still let you lock it up into part time 4x4 for
real snow traction.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 22nd 05, 10:06 PM
Will

"HotRod" > wrote in message
> Any chance you can explain to me why when driving an AWD car the ride was
> nice and smooth, including sharp corners but on my 4x4 trail blazer taking
> a corner is tough, I tend to feel like I'm fighting the wheel the whole
> time?

Probably because your 4x4 has front and rear diffs, but not a diff in the
transfer case. Right and left can move at different speeds, but the tires w/
power in the front and rear have to move at the same speed. And in a sharp
turn, the front and rear travel a slightly different radius. And you're
right, if you want to drive on ice and have four wheel drive on all the
time, an AWD setup as you described (not traditional 4x4) is the way to go.
But I could be wrong. I just learned/realized this a few months ago, so I'm
no expert.

I would think a Subaru might be a good place start. Or an Eclipse (I know
you could get older ones w/ AWD). Or an old AMC Eagle. Being older, it might
be a ladder frame, or at least a frame that doesn't include the whole body
like a new one, which could make it easier to build on. And they had a lot
or ground clearance- like a sedan on a compact truck frame.

-Will

-Will

Old February 22nd 05, 11:03 PM
Matt Mead

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:40:47 -0500, "HotRod" >
wrote:

>I'm looking for an "All Wheel Drive" system that I can start a build-up
>from, can anyone recommend a good starting point? Website for all wheel
>drive parts etc. or a car/truck model to have a look at.
>
>I need something that can be stretched and handle up to 500hp. IDEAS? I want
>true All wheel drive not 4x4.

If you are truly looking to "Hot Rod" something, I'd suggest either an
Olds Bravado or GM AWD Astro/Safari van. (Hear me out before you
start laughing!)

Both models, pre 99, used a tough viscous clutch AWD transfer case.
Basically the same case that was used in the Syclone/Typhoon models.
While the SyTys didn't come with 500hp, many folks have pushed them to
that level and beyond. (In 99 they switched to an electronic clutch.
The jury is still out on this transfer case, but it seems to be less
dependable due to the required electronics.)

A small block V-8 will drop right in to the Astro/Safari AWD van with
only oil pan mods and motor mounts being needed. (Two companies offer
parts to do it.) Several folks have dropped big blocks into these
vans, but I'm not aware of any running AWD.

The Bravada is probably a tight fit for a V-8 as I've read that is the
case for the S-series trucks. Still, kits are out there to do it.

Of course you could also build your own Syclone/Typhoon type truck by
swapping the above mentioned T-case into any of the S-series 4x4
trucks and SUVs. In fact, you could do the same to a fullsize GM
truck or SUV, but you may need to carefully match transmission output
shafts and the like.

As for the mention of AWD leaving you with only 1 wheel drive on ice,
that isn't the case with this AWD system. The standard torque split
is roughly 60/40 rear/front with it easily shifting to 50/50 when slip
is detected. (The system is a viscous clutch and a speed difference
between ends causes the fluid to heat and lock the clutch plates
together. While it isn't "locked" like a true 4x4 system, you will
NEVER experience 1 wheel drive. (I've been impressed how quickly the
system reacts and in real-world conditions, you never notice any slip.
My AWD van has over 160K miles on it and I used it as a snowmobile tow
vehicle for many years in New Hampshire and Maine. It is still my
preferred ride when the roads get slick.)

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion Van

Old February 22nd 05, 11:08 PM
Erik-Jan Geniets

HotRod wrote:

> Any chance you can explain to me why when driving an AWD car the ride was
> nice and smooth, including sharp corners but on my 4x4 trail blazer taking a
> corner is tough, I tend to feel like I'm fighting the wheel the whole time?

Do not know about the specific set-up on your car.
But is it possible the centre diff is still engaged?
Or if it is part-time 4WD you forgot to change to 2WD mode?
Something broken?
Any other lockers present? Locked? Broken?
Kind regards,
Erik-Jan.

--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper