Horn operation with keyless remote

Old July 28th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Robert

Default Horn operation with keyless remote

My neighbor honks his horn repeatedly in the morning to unlock his car.
He has a 2004 Ford pickup. I do not know how the keyless remote
works. Is it necessary that the horn sound when unlocking the vehicle?
Is there another way to enter the car not sounding the horn. If
anybody can print the instructions on the operation of the keyless
remote, I would sure appreciate that. It just doesn't make sense to me
that it is necessary to wake me up every morning. Thanks - Bob

Old July 29th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ed White[_1_]

Robert wrote:
> My neighbor honks his horn repeatedly in the morning to unlock his car.
> He has a 2004 Ford pickup. I do not know how the keyless remote
> works. Is it necessary that the horn sound when unlocking the vehicle?
> Is there another way to enter the car not sounding the horn. If
> anybody can print the instructions on the operation of the keyless
> remote, I would sure appreciate that. It just doesn't make sense to me
> that it is necessary to wake me up every morning. Thanks - Bob

I have owned four Fords with remote keyless entry, and not one beeped
the horn when unlocking the vehicle. In fact, Fords don't beep the horn
when you lock the doors unless you press the button twice rapidly. I
would guess your neighbor has some sort of alarm system installed that
beeps the horn to indicate the alarm is armed / disarmed. This may be
programable. I suppose you could ask your neighbor about it.

Ed

Old July 29th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

You don't have a problem with the car... you do have a problem with your
neighbour....

I can only suggest that the two of you sit down and talk about it before we
see you on "Joe Brown" or the evening news...

FWIW.... pushing the unlock button once will, generally, unlock the drivers
door with no "chirp". Push the unlock button twice in quick succession will
unlock all doors with a single horn chirp. Push the car finder/panic button
and the horn will chirp repeatedly until the button is pushed again.

At this point in time, there are too many unanswered questions.... "Is this
a factory system?".... "Is there a reason you are talking here rather than
addressing the concern head on?"...

There is a way to enter the car without sounding the horn period.... no
matter what the system... you may have done it a time or two yourself.....
First, we need to locate the stainless steel circle on the drivers door.
Once located, we may notice a (roughly vertical) slot inside the circle....
And this is where it gets really weird -

When we bought our car, we got some "keys" with it.... Surprisingly, one of
these "keys" will fit in the slot in the stainless steel circle... Twisting
this wonderful key in the correct direction will both unlock the door and
will accomplish this feat silently...

At this time, I am rubbing my forehead and hoping I die early so I don't
have to witness how abjectly stupid and self-centred people are becoming....
Both you and your neighbour need, desparately, to realize that you are
****ing adults... as adults, we desparately need to co-exist in harmony.
Without this knowledge, we are no better than animals in the wild....
someone is gonna be dinner.

ups.com...

Old July 29th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Robert

Thank you guys for responding. Yes I know we are adults. I am an old
adult and my neighbor is a young adult who is raising children. I was
just trying to gather information in an area that I was ignorant.
Knowledge is power. Unfortunately, even though I am old, new things
still happen to me that I am totally unprepared for. I have to then
gather information in order to adapt. Believe me, I have tried to
talk. Some people would rather be mean than reasonable. - Bob

Old July 30th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

That has been the way all my Explorers worked. Takes two clicks to
unlock all doors, horn does not blow. Lock doors with one click, horn
does not blow. Lock doors with two clicks, horn blows.

Old August 2nd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
WilM

My wife likes to make the horn honk when she locks the Explorer. (2 quick
pushes on the lock button) It drives me nuts. I don't understand why she
has to bother everyone else around her with sound pollution that is
absolutely unnecessary. I am looking for a way to disable this feature.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

ups.com...

Old August 2nd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Sparge

WilM wrote:
> My wife likes to make the horn honk when she locks the Explorer. (2 quick
> pushes on the lock button) It drives me nuts. I don't understand why she
> has to bother everyone else around her with sound pollution that is
> absolutely unnecessary. I am looking for a way to disable this feature.
>
> Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

There's a procedure in the owner's manual -- I don't remember just off
hand. Funny you should mention it though. I tend to do the double
push honk just because I know it drives my wife nuts! Any chance she's
just trying to get your goat? <grin>

Mark

Old August 6th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
WilM

Yes Mark, my wife knows perfectly well that it drives me nuts! She
obviously likes to push buttons.... especially mine!

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the owner's manual.

Will

oups.com...

Old August 6th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton[_1_]

I do not know what year your have but the 97 owners manual not only does
not provide a way to turn it off but also indicates why you want to
click if twice and issue the sound pollution.

The second click will result (for a 97) in chirping the horn once if the
security system is armed. If a door is left ajar, the horn will chirp
twice and the alarm system will no arm!

In my case I always verify the alarm is on and my wife does not like the
pollution. I agree that I like my Siebring better as I was able to get
it to only flash the headlights, but once again it is an information
feed back that the system is armed.

From the Manual (which I have pdf of)

Locking the doors

Press LOCK to lock all doors.
To confirm all doors are closed and
locked, press the LOCK control a
second time within five seconds.
The doors will lock again, the horn
will chirp and the lamps will flash.
If the horn chirps twice, a door is
still ajar and the anti-theft system
will not arm.

Art

Old August 8th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fred 2

You can switch the alarm system over to "Japan mode" there will be no
horn chirping when you press the lock button on the key fob. The
factory service manual says how to change alarm modes.