Squeaky Suspension

Old September 19th 05, 02:59 PM
Mikepier

>From experience, simply spraying WD40 on the bushings is not enough.
You have to remove the bushings and thoroughly lubricate the insides so
it will stop squeaking.

Old September 19th 05, 03:03 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

I looked at my Ford TSP CD and there is no "anti-windup bar" listed? I
have a 1998 Ford Explorer EB AWD V8. In addition, I looked at the
Genuine Ford Parts site (http:\\www.parts.com) and the illustration of
the front suspension of my vehicle did not list/show said part either?

However, both the TSP CD and GFP site don't list/show a third rear shock
absorber for my vehicle either, but I do indeed have three shock
absorbers on the rear of my Explorer )

Steven

Old September 19th 05, 10:51 PM
Happy Traveler

The Anti Windup Bar is a part of the REAR suspension. It prevents the leaf
springs from 'winding up', apparently only a problem for the higher torque
available from the V8. Pretty sure about the name of this part, but will
double check it later tonight, when I get to my manual.

Old September 20th 05, 01:46 AM
chuckster

Steve Blaster may be too agressive, try a silicone product or WD 40.
Use the extension wand and squirt it in the nooks and crannies around
the possible squeek areas. Get back to us and let us know how it worked
out. Wear safety glasses!!!!!!

Old September 20th 05, 02:41 AM
Searcher1

Is the squeak coming from the front? I had this problem BAD, I ended taking
it to the dealer and found out that it had something to do with the control
arm bushings, they replaced all of them at no charge (under warranty). The
squeak went away and never returned. Try spraying the upper control arm
bushings when you have the squeak and see if it goes away, I would use WD40
thoug.
Searcher1

Old September 20th 05, 05:17 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

Yes, ok, Happy Traveler, the 'anti-windup bar' is part of the "REAR"
suspension ) I was looking at the front suspension, where I'm almost
positive the squeaking is coming from.

Thanks again,

Steven

Old September 20th 05, 05:26 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

Searcher1 wrote:

> Is the squeak coming from the front? I had this problem BAD, I ended taking
> it to the dealer and found out that it had something to do with the control
> arm bushings, they replaced all of them at no charge (under warranty). The
> squeak went away and never returned. Try spraying the upper control arm
> bushings when you have the squeak and see if it goes away, I would use WD40
> thoug.
> Searcher1

I'd bet that's where my squeaking is coming from too. My Explorer has
been to the dealer twice for this noise, unfortunately, the squeaking is
intermittent and only noisy when it's warm and dry outside. It does not
make any noise if it's damp, humid, or wet outside, so the times it's
been in the shop they could not find a problem.

Thanks,

Steven
Old September 20th 05, 05:29 PM
Steven Hilgendorf

chuckster wrote:

> Steve Blaster may be too agressive, try a silicone product or WD 40.
> Use the extension wand and squirt it in the nooks and crannies around
> the possible squeek areas. Get back to us and let us know how it worked
> out. Wear safety glasses!!!!!!

Chuckster, I'll see if I can find a silicone based, possibly dry,
product that will be safe for the bushings...

Thanks again,

Steven

NEW OWNER! A4 (2005) GTI Suspension and Other Q's [email protected] VW water cooled 1 August 17th 05 02:44 AM
leaf springs [email protected] Corvette 3 March 10th 05 10:42 PM
Suspension sims Bob Paulin Technology 0 December 27th 04 04:24 PM
Suspension AND Body lift? JoeArmy99 4x4 16 June 27th 04 06:08 PM