Customer Satisfaction Program 04B22

Old February 27th 05, 05:55 PM
Jim Warman

OK, Ed... I found what we need.

SSM (Special Service Message) 18208..... sorry I can't do a cut and past -
copyright laws and such.... Mercon V will still be the fluid of choice but
the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004. Mercon V was refomulated to
meet the requirement of the later transmissions.

The production line came "out of step" with itself for a short period. If
the reformulated oil had arrived first, we wouldn't even know of the
reformulation.

As for your car.... it was built 11/06/2003.... no warranty history at all
but 04B22 is still outstanding. There is one SSM (17852) that deals with
transmissions without the SportShift feature but it mentions having an E
displayed for gearshift position and DTCs in memory.

Being that my stock in trade is mostly trucks, I am unfamiliar with the
SportShift feature but if your car is equipped with this feature I would
turn it off and see what happens.

HTH

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Jim Warman wrote:
> >
> > I haven't seen any TSBs on updated fluid for these transmissions. Safe

> > say that Fords major concern is making sure these units get past the
> > warranty period. As dealer techs, we are expected to know that these

models
> > require this so-called "secret sauce". If someone reminds mr, I'll check

the
> > March DVD manual for any reference when it becomes available. I would

expect
> > a note on this additive in the fluid spec sub-section of the auto trans
> > subsection of the driveline subsection of the manual.
> >
> > The directions are mistaken... when they say shake well, they mean shake

the
> > ever-lovin' p*ss out of the product before use.
> >
> > Side note to Ed... if you are having shifting concerns, e-mail me your

VIN

Old February 27th 05, 07:57 PM
Big Shoe

Sounds like the answer to some of the questions about the additive.
If fluid was reformulated after May 10, 2004, then it is highly
possible that some of the old formulation was still around and was
installed in new vehicles. That would explain the need for the
additive and also would say that fluid changes would cause no problem
if the reformulated fluid was used.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:55:18 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Old February 27th 05, 10:21 PM
Jim Warman

That's it in a nutshell.....

Old February 28th 05, 12:23 PM
C. E. White

Jim Warman wrote:

> OK, Ed... I found what we need.
>
> SSM (Special Service Message) 18208..... sorry I can't do a cut and past -
> copyright laws and such.... Mercon V will still be the fluid of choice but
> the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004. Mercon V was refomulated to
> meet the requirement of the later transmissions.
>
> The production line came "out of step" with itself for a short period. If
> the reformulated oil had arrived first, we wouldn't even know of the
> reformulation.
>
> As for your car.... it was built 11/06/2003.... no warranty history at all
> but 04B22 is still outstanding. There is one SSM (17852) that deals with
> transmissions without the SportShift feature but it mentions having an E
> displayed for gearshift position and DTCs in memory.
>
> Being that my stock in trade is mostly trucks, I am unfamiliar with the
> SportShift feature but if your car is equipped with this feature I would
> turn it off and see what happens.

Thanks Jim. I'm dropping off the Tbird tonight to get the
secret sauce added.

Ed
Old March 21st 05, 09:22 PM
tt14tt

"cewhite3" wrote:
> Jim Warman wrote:
> >
> > OK, Ed... I found what we need.
> >
> > SSM (Special Service Message) 18208..... sorry I can't do a

> cut and past -
> > copyright laws and such.... Mercon V will still be the fluid

> of choice but
> > the packaging date must be AFTER May 10, 2004. Mercon V was

> refomulated to
> > meet the requirement of the later transmissions.
> >
> > The production line came "out of step" with itself for a

> short period. If
> > the reformulated oil had arrived first, we wouldn't even

> know of the
> > reformulation.
> >
> > As for your car.... it was built 11/06/2003.... no warranty

> history at all
> > but 04B22 is still outstanding. There is one SSM (17852)

> that deals with
> > transmissions without the SportShift feature but it mentions

> having an E
> > displayed for gearshift position and DTCs in memory.
> >
> > Being that my stock in trade is mostly trucks, I am

> unfamiliar with the
> > SportShift feature but if your car is equipped with this

> feature I would
> > turn it off and see what happens.
> >

> Thanks Jim. I'm dropping off the Tbird tonight to get the
> secret sauce added.
>
> Ed

Hello, I scheduled my service appointment too far out for this week.
And all of a sudden I noticed about a week 2 weeks ago I started to
experience delays in shifting.

I am curious whether getting the "special sauce" will correct any
issues or just prevent them from getting worse. The letter says "over
time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements", does this mean
that once the shifting problems start that they are irreversible? I
had a problem scheduling the service appointment with work and
everything and now I am scared that I did damage to my explorer.

Thanks this thread has been very helpful!
kevin

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict104790.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=507094
Old March 29th 05, 07:05 PM
NavyMom

"tt14tt" wrote:
> Hello, I scheduled my service appointment too far out for this
> week. And all of a sudden I noticed about a week 2 weeks ago I
> started to experience delays in shifting.
>
> I am curious whether getting the "special sauce" will correct
> any issues or just prevent them from getting worse. The letter
> says "over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements",
> does this mean that once the shifting problems start that they
> are irreversible? I had a problem scheduling the service
> appointment with work and everything and now I am scared that
> I did damage to my explorer.
>
> Thanks this thread has been very helpful!
> kevin

I got married on 12/31/04 and moved in with my husband putting my
house up for sale. Because of mail delay I received a letter from
Ford dated in January 2005 to my old address about 04B22 that I need
to have in the shop by March 31, 05. I have noticed trouble in the
shifting especially in reverse. Even though I bought the Total care
warranty program, I am being told they will not cover rental car
expenses but the dealership is telling me it will take about 5 days to
fix my car and they haven’t even looked at it yet. Guys help, am I
being ripped off here?
Old March 30th 05, 11:48 PM
Big Bill

On 29 Mar 2005 13:05:42 -0500, NavyMom >
wrote:

>"tt14tt" wrote:
> > Hello, I scheduled my service appointment too far out for this
> > week. And all of a sudden I noticed about a week 2 weeks ago I
> > started to experience delays in shifting.
> >
> > I am curious whether getting the "special sauce" will correct
> > any issues or just prevent them from getting worse. The letter
> > says "over time, may cause delayed/harsh reverse engagements",
> > does this mean that once the shifting problems start that they
> > are irreversible? I had a problem scheduling the service
> > appointment with work and everything and now I am scared that
> > I did damage to my explorer.
> >
> > Thanks this thread has been very helpful!
> > kevin

>I got married on 12/31/04 and moved in with my husband putting my
>house up for sale. Because of mail delay I received a letter from
>Ford dated in January 2005 to my old address about 04B22 that I need
>to have in the shop by March 31, 05. I have noticed trouble in the
>shifting especially in reverse. Even though I bought the Total care
>warranty program, I am being told they will not cover rental car
>expenses but the dealership is telling me it will take about 5 days to
>fix my car and they haven’t even looked at it yet. Guys help, am I
>being ripped off here?

Unless someone promised you, in writing, a rental car, the answer is
no.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 31st 05, 03:26 AM
Hairy

Because of mail delay I received a letter from
> Ford dated in January 2005 to my old address about 04B22 that I need
> to have in the shop by March 31, 05. I have noticed trouble in the
> shifting especially in reverse. Even though I bought the Total care
> warranty program, I am being told they will not cover rental car
> expenses but the dealership is telling me it will take about 5 days to
> fix my car and they haven't even looked at it yet. Guys help, am I
> being ripped off here?

Not enough information to know whether you are being ripped off, or not. It
certainly wouldn't take 5 days to add 6 ounces of fluid supplement to the
transmission. So, it appears that they intend to do more than the 04b22
recall, but you don't say what. If a new trans is planned, a competant shop
should be able to do it in much less than 5 days, IMO.
As far as a rental is concerned, you need to *carefully* read your service
contract to see what is and isn't provided. I wouldn't just take their word
for it.
Good luck