Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27th 05, 05:25 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:08:55 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, William. Boyd wrote:
>
>> I use Liquid wrench, WD is good but the LW is a tad better.

>Both of them are silly kid stuff. Kroil and Mopar 3418039 are the only two
>penetrating fluids worth messing with.

The nut part of the plug, if I read the OP's post correctly, is gone,
leaving only the threaded bottom portion of the plug in the hole.

With the nut gone, on a dead-cold engine block, there shouldn't be
_much_ holding the threads in place except for corrosion.

I guess the EZ-out idea is a good one but I would use that as a last
resort, since you have to drill into the lower part of the plug and
that is almost guaranteed to place particles of plug in the cylinder.
I would try a screwdriver blade gently hammered into the porcelain, so
as not to break it but create a slot for the screwdriver head, and try
to work -that-. EZ out would be final solution, not first choice.

And use compressed air to clean out everything before trying to
unscrew base of plug. I don't think I would go to the trouble of
pulling the head unless something like the porcelain bottom with the
electrode fell into the cylinder.

Of course, maybe OP's engine is -easy- to work on. In that case, sure
pull the head. If it is bank 2 on my engine, it is very simple, but
put a new head gasket on there for bank 2 before replacing head.

Lg