ignition difficulty on my 1990 miata

Old August 25th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default ignition difficulty on my 1990 miata

> I have broken a key off in the ignition of my '90 Miata and had a
> locksmith attempt to get it out, no luck, does anyone know of a link
> that could show me how to remove the ignition switch so I can get it
> replaced with a new one.. Thanks for the help..> Trent, Waco, Texas

The only link on the miata.net garage section is for the M2, which is
strange. They cover almost everything.

It is a pretty easy job except that the ignition switch assembly is held
on with two self-shearing bolts for security. When you get the plastic
parts off of the steering column area, you will see two cone-shaped bolt
heads securing the assembly.
It will be obvious since this is where your key goes in.

These will need to be notched to take a screwdriver before they can be
removed, I used a dremel tool and a couple of cutting wheels.

Assuming that you have a new lock assembly, it will come with two new
bolts that you tighten until the heads tear off. When I did the
replacements, I put used assemblies in, so I had to re-use the screws
that I had notched.
They have held securely and nobody has stolen the cars yet. Someone else
here just used allen head bolts. I will probably go that route next time.

HTH,

Pat
Old August 26th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

geeze! I won't argue that there may be some specialty lubricants for this
application but this sort of knee jerk 'WD-40 turns gummy' statement seems
inappropriate. I've used WD a million times and although I know what the
designation stands for, I also know that it has decent lubrication
properties if not for the long term, at the very least, for the medium term.
I've also never seen it term 'gummy'. It has solved ignition switch problems
for me more than once.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 26th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> geeze! I won't argue that there may be some specialty lubricants for this
> application but this sort of knee jerk 'WD-40 turns gummy' statement seems
> inappropriate. I've used WD a million times and although I know what the
> designation stands for, I also know that it has decent lubrication
> properties if not for the long term, at the very least, for the medium term.
> I've also never seen it term 'gummy'. It has solved ignition switch problems
> for me more than once.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Aren't WD-40, a roll of duct tape, and a set of vise grips the only
tools that one needs in a toolbox? ;-)

Pat
Old August 26th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

not vice grips, two pairs of pliers. with two pairs of pliers you can fix
anything!

Old August 26th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

that is really interesting. makes sense and clears up some of the myths i
seem to have learned as fact.

ups.com...

Old August 27th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> not vice grips, two pairs of pliers. with two pairs of pliers you can fix
> anything!

True, and I have actually used vise grips without causing damage.

Give me two pair of pliers and I can rip any car part to shreds....Then
I can fix it with the duct tape and JB Weld, which I left off the first
list.

So, for a toolbox:

2 pair of pliers
1 roll of duct tape
1 can of WD-40
JB Weld Resin and Activator

That should cover 99.9% or more of any car repairs....

Pat
Old August 28th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BRUCE HASKIN

But Pat !!!!

Don't forget the BFH for your toolbox.

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Old August 28th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The BFH is the most important of all! It even works with a mule!

Old August 28th 06, 08:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

BRUCE HASKIN wrote:
> But Pat !!!!
>
> Don't forget the BFH for your toolbox.
>
> Bruce Bing '03 LS

Big Fluffy Hamster? Please elaborate on the use of such a creature in a
toolbox. :-)

Pat
Old August 28th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Brian[_9_]

pws wrote:
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>> not vice grips, two pairs of pliers. with two pairs of pliers you can
>> fix anything!

> True, and I have actually used vise grips without causing damage.
>
> Give me two pair of pliers and I can rip any car part to shreds....Then
> I can fix it with the duct tape and JB Weld, which I left off the first
> list.
>
> So, for a toolbox:
>
> 2 pair of pliers
> 1 roll of duct tape
> 1 can of WD-40
> JB Weld Resin and Activator
>
> That should cover 99.9% or more of any car repairs....
>
> Pat

No toolbox is complete without an assortment of cardboard wedges.

1990 Miata - What's a "fair" price? Tom Mazda 13 May 11th 06 04:24 AM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable, ignition cable set, auto parts [email protected] General 0 April 4th 06 07:52 AM
AWA [OFFER] ignition cable set, ignition cable [email protected] General 0 March 20th 06 11:51 AM
Gearbox in 1990 Miata Kenneth S. Mazda 2 March 14th 06 02:44 PM
Ignition Timing/Power on '90 Miata Robbi Mazda 6 September 21st 05 04:30 AM