BMW 5 Series E39 Accidental Airbag Deployment

Old January 16th 05, 09:01 PM
Henrik Ohm Eriksen

You may try this site as well, has most/all recalls - by model & year..
Pretty good. IMO.

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-category-V.BMW.html

/Henrik (2001-X5)

news

Old January 18th 05, 04:07 PM
BigBazza

>The recall was for certain 5-series BMW in the US. I was driving a
>530i at the time, and I had to go in and had a part replaced.
>
>The recall mentioned specifically the possibility of an air bag
>deployment during ignition.
>
>I do not have the letter anymore, but I am sure a websearch should
>turn up something....
>
>Good Luck
>
>545i-2004

Hi There,

I've been doing a lot of searching around the Internet over the last
couple of days and about as close as I can find is a recall relating
to 3 Series cars in the UK manufactured beteewn Sept 1998 and April
1999 which relates to the accidental deployment of side airbags. I
can't find anything specifically about the 5 series though.

Either way, given that the above problem with the 3 series is
identical to what has happened to my 5 series (and others' too) it
looks to me like it's something that BMW are at least aware of and
which they are now making sure they are taking nothing to do with.

Let's just say that as soon as my car is fixed, it will be going on
the market, and I for sure will never own another BMW. Never before
have I even encountered such and evasive and unhelpful manufacturer
and I certainly don't want to find myself in any future position where
I would have to rely on them.

This is not the first time that I have been let down by BMW's customer
service, but I'm going to make sure it's the last...they really are
the pits....something which I for sure have found surprising
considering how much they go on about being a 'Quality Marque'.

Don't know what the best alternative for the 5 series will be
though....Audi A6 / A8 or Merc 'E' Class maybe?

Cheers

Barry

Old January 18th 05, 05:22 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

I think you'll find someone expressing dissatisfaction with all brands so
it's a matter of what car appeals to you appearance and price-wise.

Personally I like to see a three-pointed star at the end of the bonnet,
helping to find the way. Makes it distinctive among European brands.
However, on the 'sporty' models they removed the upright bonnet star and
stuck a great big one on the grille -- makes the view out of the windscreen
same as other cars...

DAS
---

[...]

Old January 18th 05, 06:38 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> I think you'll find someone expressing dissatisfaction with all brands
> so it's a matter of what car appeals to you appearance and price-wise.

> Personally I like to see a three-pointed star at the end of the bonnet,
> helping to find the way. Makes it distinctive among European brands.

Certainly does. It's about the least reliable of Euro 'quality' brands,
according to consumer surveys.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 21st 05, 02:30 AM

I think that the best manufacturer in customer service and quality/reliability in the world is
Toyota. They actually treat people as if they if they were people too. I'm sure you run into a
dealership where the service manager is not responsive, but usually a call to the owner saves the
day. BUT, I sure would hate to see everyone driving a Toyota or Lexus as these brands would likely
start having issues if they know they have the auto market to themselves.

7 Series Meg R. BMW 8 January 9th 05 02:32 PM
Airbag warning light. Alfa71 Alfa Romeo 7 October 26th 04 08:13 PM
BMW 1 series sales figures for Sept. '04 Peter Bozz BMW 7 October 12th 04 12:59 PM
Airbag sensor on E39 hodne BMW 2 September 25th 04 12:04 AM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM