Brake problem Saturm 2002 L200 Please Help

Old August 12th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

Default Brake problem Saturm 2002 L200 Please Help

After 35000 miles front brakes needed replacing. Installed new front
pads. Job went well with no problems installing the front pads. I did
not open the system to bled since I was only replacing the front pads.
Now I find the brake pedel has too much travel and has developed a
slight clicking noise when it travels down so far. Clicking noise
sounds like its coming from the brake pedal the last 1/2" of travel.

Do I need to bleed them? The rears still have about 60 % left to
them. Any ideas.

If I need to bled them. What the best way. Car has ABS brakes.

Thank you......Joe
Old September 1st 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

wrote:
> After 35000 miles front brakes needed replacing. Installed new front
> pads. Job went well with no problems installing the front pads. I did
> not open the system to bled since I was only replacing the front pads.
> Now I find the brake pedel has too much travel and has developed a
> slight clicking noise when it travels down so far. Clicking noise
> sounds like its coming from the brake pedal the last 1/2" of travel.
>
> Do I need to bleed them? The rears still have about 60 % left to
> them. Any ideas.
>
> If I need to bled them. What the best way. Car has ABS brakes.
>
> Thank you......Joe

Joe

I have had 2 L200's I have done the brakes on both now. I have tried 5
pads sets. All do the same thing, poor stopping. On my New 2003 the
rotors were worn at 45K, pads had 25% left. The pads actually machined
the rotors (I guess that is what made the car stop so good) I am on a
second set of pads for this car and the same thing. Hard pedal force
(mushy Brake feel?? )
My conclusion is to go back to factory OE pads, suffer the back dust
and wear on the rotors. This car came with excellent brakes. I am
convinced it is a design thing. Don't use the Delco pads they don't
work either, get the Saturn ones from the dealer.

Good Luck,

Let me know what happens.

Old September 3rd 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

> > After 35000 miles front brakes needed replacing. Installed new front
> > pads. Job went well with no problems installing the front pads. I did
> > not open the system to bled since I was only replacing the front pads.
> > Now I find the brake pedel has too much travel and has developed a
> > slight clicking noise when it travels down so far. Clicking noise
> > sounds like its coming from the brake pedal the last 1/2" of travel.
> >
> > Do I need to bleed them? The rears still have about 60 % left to
> > them. Any ideas.
> >
> > If I need to bled them. What the best way. Car has ABS brakes.
> >
> > Thank you......Joe

> Joe
>
> I have had 2 L200's I have done the brakes on both now. I have tried 5
> pads sets. All do the same thing, poor stopping. On my New 2003 the
> rotors were worn at 45K, pads had 25% left. The pads actually machined
> the rotors (I guess that is what made the car stop so good) I am on a
> second set of pads for this car and the same thing. Hard pedal force
> (mushy Brake feel?? )
> My conclusion is to go back to factory OE pads, suffer the back dust
> and wear on the rotors. This car came with excellent brakes. I am
> convinced it is a design thing. Don't use the Delco pads they don't
> work either, get the Saturn ones from the dealer.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Let me know what happens.

Update to above,

Today I installed the Saturn pads on My L200. They did just as I
thought. The Car stops just like before, no mashing down the brake
peadal. My rear shoes should wear normal now too. Of course they charge
too much, but what can you do, list is $90. I did get the rotors cheap
though about $22 each. So all in all not too bad.
I'm Glad, I sold my other L200. I don't like to have to, sole source to
a dealer for parts.

JoeG

Old January 7th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_2_]

I noticed some clicking of the brake pedal on depression and a bit longer
travel than I would like ('01 lw300). I found a rear pad that was rusted
into the caliper and not moving. Since it is a fixed caliper and a dual
piston, braking was only coming from one pad on that wheel. There was a good
amount of pad left so I removed the pads (forcibly), cleaned up the rust and
applied a bit of never seize to the area where the rust was. Seemed to make
a big difference. Still need to change the brake fluid..it's black.
Oppie

ps.com...