95 with code 17

Old August 15th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 95 with code 17

Looking for help in troubleshooting my 95 Miata. The check engine lt
came on, when I diagnosed it the code was 17, the oxygen sensor (output
not changing). Anyone with any ideas? I'm planning on checking the o2
sensor, but beyond that what else should I look for.
thanks,
Arne

Old August 15th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Alan

> Looking for help in troubleshooting my 95 Miata. The check engine lt
> came on, when I diagnosed it the code was 17, the oxygen sensor (output
> not changing). Anyone with any ideas? I'm planning on checking the o2
> sensor, but beyond that what else should I look for.
> thanks,
> Arne

Arne,
If the car has more than 100K miles the o2 should be changed as a
maintenance item anyway. If you want to test it check the voltage at the
sensor with the proper DVOM. The range is .1 to .9 volts. You should see the
voltage drop to the low end by forcing the engine lean with a vacuum leak
and high with enrichment. If the o2 responds well to this test but is stuck
near .1 volts look for a vacuum leak. If stuck rich .9 volts look for
something that would cause a rich condition. Dirty air filter, clogged pcv
system, leaking injectors. Also check the basics like the connection at the
sensor and the wiring. Good luck.
Alan

Old August 16th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Ya, uh ........... what he said!

Chris
99BBB

. ..

Old August 16th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Alan thanks for the tips, I forgot to mention the car has only 49k on
the miles. I'd rather troubleshoot then take it to a garage cold.

Arne

BMW radio code problem ecgarza BMW 3 November 9th 05 10:42 PM
2001 300m passenger door handle(inside) Fiberman Chrysler 19 March 27th 05 08:33 PM
Graduate Students Unlock Code of 'Thiefproof' Car Key MrPepper11 Technology 14 February 1st 05 11:47 PM
96 coupe 3.8 with code "P1151" Chuck Ford Mustang 2 January 1st 05 07:07 PM