Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup

Old March 8th 05, 08:07 PM
Scott

Default Opinions Wanted: 66 Exhaust Setup

Hi All,

This topic seems to be one that is discussed off and on in this group
(given what I've found using Google), but I thought I would bring it up
yet again for fresh opinions on my situation. I've just upgraded to a
T-5 tranny, and with things moving around slightly, the custom exhaust
setup that I had installed when I got the car is no longer usable.
Since I'm starting over, I would like to replace the stock exhaust
manifolds with headers at this point. So, I was thinking of a setup
something like the following:
Heddman or Hooker or Tri-Y Long Tube Headers (ceramic coated)
2.5" pipes
Dr. Gas Crossover
Dynomax mufflers

66 Mustang Coupe (this is my daily driver):
- Originally a 6-cylinder, 3-spd manual. Now a 289 with a 5-spd T-5.
- Kept original 3-spd bell-housing with original solid clutch linkage.
- Manual steering
- Manual drum brakes all around. I would like to upgrade to front disc
brakes in the future.

Wants:
- Some increased horsepower
- Support for future engine mods (in other words, I want the exhaust
setup to help and not hinder horsepower as I do future work on the
engine, without having to upgrade the exhaust again)
- Keep the ability to change plugs easily (and keep other similar
maintenance as easy as it is today)

Do Not Wants:
- Maintenance & leakage issues with the headers themselves
- Ground Clearance issues
- Clutch linkage clearance issues

What do you think? Does anyone have a similar setup that they've
installed and know doesn't have fit issues.....I don't really want to
have to mess with bending/moving the clutch linkage around just to fit
the headers. Any opinions on which headers? At this point I've ruled
out shorty headers since I don't really want to make changing plugs a
pain, but if you know of a set that doesn't cause that problem, then I
would love to hear about it.

Any and all opinions welcomed!

Thanks,
Scott

Old March 9th 05, 09:41 PM

I have a '66 coupe with a 289 and a 3 speed manual that I added
Edelbrock aluminum heads with roller rocker arms and intake and a Road
Demon carb along with Dynomax ceramic coated headers and Flowmaster
mufflers. I am about to add a T-5 trans, but there is no clutch
linkage interferance with the headers as long as your linkage bushings
are still there (mine aren't so I have a rattle until I replace them).
I have gotten a dramatic power increase from these additions and the
T-5 will only improve things further. I also have 16" Cragar SS wheels
with Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires and I get great grip with them. Good
luck with your upgrades!

Mike