radiator (?) woes

Old March 8th 05, 07:06 PM

Default radiator (?) woes

Hi guys,

I have an unusual radiator problem with a 99 TJ Sport. It has 73,000
miles now, and at the 60,000 check last year the dealer said the
radiator was weeping at the seam. Nothing urgent, so I filed it away in
the "later" bin and started checking the coolant more. This weekend I
took a 3-hour trip and didn't lose any, then when I woke up it was a
half gallon low (puddled under the Jeep). I topped it off and now it
hasn't leaked on the 3-hour return trip or since. I noticed that if I
park it with the nose down a slight slope, it doesn't ever leak. Does
that seem typical at all of a radiator problem, or could I be looking
at hose issues too? I stuck my head in and could see a wet radiator
seam, but I can't see where the serious leak is coming from (when it
does).

thanks in advance for any advice! Probably need the neat 3-core
radiator the last radiator posters needed, huh?

Matt

Old March 8th 05, 07:23 PM
Jeff Strickland

The fins are metal but the tanks are plastic. The seam that leaks is where
the tank and the fins come together. It can be very difficult to see where
the leak is, especially when the radiator is still mounted inthe vehicle.

I suggest you look into replacing the radiator before it fails completely.
My BMW failed unexpectedly and catastrophically, and did serious engine -
OK, expensive if not so serious - damage. It also left me stranded on a
mountain road late at night with the lion and tigers and bears. Oh my.

oups.com...

Old March 8th 05, 07:30 PM
Mike Romain

Figure the engine moves a bit on it's rubber mounts so when you park,
the top rad hose can be pushed on or pulled on which likely can make the
o-ring leak or not it would seem.

Man those have to be the dumbest freaking radiator design going for a
Jeep to have a half plastic rad... They 'all' seem to fail.

I would be thinking if enough folks got together on that one they would
have a recall or class action case......

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 8th 05, 07:36 PM

Thank you! I'll definitely order the recommended one (3-core heavy duty
all metal) today from Radiatorbarn then. I'm moving from VA to FL next
week and will be carrying some weight...I'll rush and get this done.
Thanks for the advice.

Matt

Old March 8th 05, 08:02 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Old Faithful 3-core heavy duty one:

http://mattradiator.notlong.com

Doing it later this week.

Thanks again.

Matt

Old March 9th 05, 08:49 PM

They (radiatorbarn.com) called and said it would be a week before it
gets here-what else should I watch besides temp and coolant level? Is
there anything else I should check to make sure it holds up that long?

Thanks again.

Matt