Timing belt - mileage vs time

Old July 15th 05, 02:45 AM
Elle

"jim beam" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
> > "jim beam" > wrote
> > snip, something others shoud learn.

> > Civic.
> >

> >>elle, at the time the 94 manual was written, belts weren't as good as
> >>they are today -

> > I was referring above to my 91 Civic's interval, as well as Civics of

years
> > around 1991.
> >

> it's the same interval as the 94 isn't it?

According to my Chilton's covering 1984-1995 Civics, Yes.

I think we're having a miscommunication. At the top, I meant I object to
anyone's claim that it's flat-out wrong for Honda to put a guideline of
90k/6 years for the 91 Civic (and other Civic years near it that also
specify 90k/6 years).

Of interest though is that there is a footnote next to the timing belt
interval spec for the 1992-1995 Civics, whereas there is not for the
1988-1991 Civics. The footnote states: "This service is recommended only."

> post 96 is the extended
> interval.

People can google or look at their owner's manual. I realize the interval is
higher for certain newer Hondas. We're splitting hairs.

Somewhat related is that the recommended interval tends to be different in
Canada, most likely because of the more severe weather. As you know...

I don't want to try to twist the original poster's arm. (Like that can be
done on Usenet.) I mean, he knows the risk he's taking at this point. That's
what is important. He may very well roll the dice and win.

Old July 15th 05, 03:28 AM
slim

SoCalMike wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > without any form of visible deterioration. i say, do a visual
> > inspection. if it apears to be in bad shape, cracking, fraying, teeth
> > worn or deformed, yes, replace regardless of mileage. but if it's not,
> > and you /know/ for sure mileage is within spec, i'd stick with earl's
> > advice.

> id be curious to know how many 80s/90s vintage civics *ever* get their
> timing belt replaced. its something 99% of people dont even think about.
> im sure some live their whole lives with one belt, then it gets replaced
> when the water pump starts spewing coolant.

The phrase, "they don't make 'em like they used to" comes to mind.

--------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...now-usat_x.htm

"Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would
last
"weeks, not months.""

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/ar...05/052705w.php

"More than two years into a war that was supposed to be quick and easy,
and
the justification for which has spun from removing a dictator to
eliminating
weapons of mass destruction to fighting terrorism and, finally, to
planting
democracy that would then spread across the Middle East, Iraq is in chaos."

RayGun sends his lackey to kiss Saddam's ass.
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
Old July 15th 05, 03:34 AM
slim

Peabody wrote:

> SoCalMike says...
>
> > jim beam wrote:

> >> without any form of visible deterioration. i say, do a
> >> visual inspection. if it apears to be in bad shape,
> >> cracking, fraying, teeth worn or deformed, yes, replace
> >> regardless of mileage. but if it's not, and you /know/
> >> for sure mileage is within spec, i'd stick with earl's
> >> advice.

> > id be curious to know how many 80s/90s vintage civics
> > *ever* get their timing belt replaced. its something 99%
> > of people dont even think about. im sure some live their
> > whole lives with one belt, then it gets replaced when
> > the water pump starts spewing coolant.

> Yes in fact, Earl said that the water pump is what usually
> goes out at somewhere around 90-100k miles, at which point
> they do the belt too.
>
> He said he sees a lot of early-80's models with their
> original belt, and presumably the original water pump. But I
> would still guess that most of them get replaced at some
> point, either because the water pump goes out or because the
> dealer hounds you about it at each oil change.
>
> I was frankly surprised at how confident Earl was about his
> advice. Of course it isn't his car or his risk, but even so
> I would have expected him to hedge a little, or do one of
> those disclaimers about no guarantees, and so forth. But he
> just said "You don't need to do this," and there were no
> qualifiers. I mean, I had my checkbook with me. It would
> have been $595.
>
> Well, I may check with some other places locally just to see
> what they say, but having gotten the answer I wanted... :-)
>
> I just want to point out that in my owner's manual, there is
> only one column that says 90,000 miles, and that column also
> says 6 years. There is no 90k/8yrs or 90k/4yrs. All of the
> columns assume 15k miles per year. But it's clear that some
> things are really mileage based, like brake pads, while
> others (I don't know - maybe antifreeze, or maybe even
> engine oil) have a significant time component. But you
> aren't going to get your valves adjusted based on time even
> though the 30k/2yr major service includes it.
>
> So it's not completely unreasonable to suggest that just
> because that column says 90k miles or 6 yrs it shouldn't
> necessarily be taken literally. The question is how
> important time is for big honking belts like these. It's
> too bad we don't have statistics that would tell us.

But if you DO decide to keep a car that long, its cheap insurance
to get the belt/pump thing done.

My 1996 Civic Coupe only has 62K on it, and every time I look
at a new car, I remember that my Baby runs great, always starts,
gets 33 MPG @ 80 MPH and 21 in NYC and the AC is still chilly!

The $400 bucks it cost just bought me another ten years....hehehe.

--------------------

Old July 15th 05, 03:35 AM
slim

Abeness wrote:

> Elle wrote:
> > Brake pad wear very much depends on individual driver habits and where the
> > car is driven.

> That's for sure. I do a fair amount of long distance driving late at
> night, when I hardly ever apply the brakes, thereby racking up a lot of
> mileage without braking in comparison to the small amount of city
> driving I do.

I get 18-22K on OEM Honda pads in NYC.

--------------------

Old July 15th 05, 03:37 AM
slim

Elle wrote:

> "Peabody" > wrote
> E wrote
> > Well, I first inspected mine at about 32,000 miles when the
> > dealership "inspected" mine and told me they needed to be
> > replaced. They did this with a straight face. I took the
> > wheels off and looked, and it was obvious I was being
> > bull****ted, and I complained to the service manager. The
> > second time was last week. At 49,300 miles, I thought it
> > probably wasn't too early to check them again.

> My 91 Civic's first brake pads wore to the warning tabs after 43k miles.

The Scumbags at Paragon Honda in LIC told me at 12K that "they had to"
replace my pads to keep my warranty intact.

--------------------

Old July 15th 05, 03:38 AM
slim

"Timothy J. Lee" wrote:

> In article <rVgBe.30047$4o.13555@fed1read06>,
> Peabody > wrote:
> >At the risk of being cynical, I view a lot of this as being
> >dealer revenue enhancement. You may disagree, but I think
> >that for a car like mine which averages less than 5000 miles
> >per year, following these guides literally would just mean
> >wasting a lot of money.

> However, low mileage is often severe service (e.g. city driving,
> short cold start trips).
>
> > > Brake pad wear very much depends on individual driver
> > > habits and where the car is driven.

> >Perhaps, but pad wear clearly does not depend on time at
> >all. If the car sits idle for a month, the brake pads don't
> >wear down even a little bit during that period.

> However, if the low mileage car is a city car, it is likely to
> wear out its brake pads before a high milage highway car does.

Damn right.

I get 18-22 on OEM pads in NYC.

--------------------

Old July 15th 05, 04:12 AM
Elle

"slim" > wrote
E wrote
> > My 91 Civic's first brake pads wore to the warning tabs after 43k miles.

> The Scumbags at Paragon Honda in LIC told me at 12K that "they had to"
> replace my pads to keep my warranty intact.

Outrageous. The bustards.

Thank god for the internet to convey info like this to the mere mortals (or
just the young among us) who are so easily duped. Happens to everyone.

Old July 15th 05, 06:51 AM
SoCalMike

slim wrote:
> My 1996 Civic Coupe only has 62K on it, and every time I look
> at a new car, I remember that my Baby runs great, always starts,
> gets 33 MPG @ 80 MPH and 21 in NYC and the AC is still chilly!

yeah. my 98 CX hatch has 49k, and the only thing thats ever gone wrong
was an O2 sensor, which i replaced myself. part of me wants a new car,
but i really really like the one i have.
Old July 15th 05, 08:59 AM
Sparky Spartacus

slim wrote:

> Elle wrote:
>
>>"Peabody" > wrote
>>E wrote
>>
>>>Well, I first inspected mine at about 32,000 miles when the
>>>dealership "inspected" mine and told me they needed to be
>>>replaced. They did this with a straight face. I took the
>>>wheels off and looked, and it was obvious I was being
>>>bull****ted, and I complained to the service manager. The
>>>second time was last week. At 49,300 miles, I thought it
>>>probably wasn't too early to check them again.

>>My 91 Civic's first brake pads wore to the warning tabs after 43k miles.

> The Scumbags at Paragon Honda in LIC told me at 12K that "they had to"
> replace my pads to keep my warranty intact.

I hope you reported them to Honda.
Old July 16th 05, 02:55 PM
TomP

Well Peabody, I'd say if Mr.Earl will pay for the collateral damage, to
the engine, if the timing belt does break before 90k. Then I'd say
let-R-run and see who's right.
Thermal (heat) cycles and proper tension also factor in on the equation
of "when to replace the t/belt."

For the record, I replaced the T/Belt on my '90 Integra 3 years ago; it
only had 68k miles. The belt didn't look particularly distressed; but
at 12 years old the car is hardly worth what it would take to
rehabilitate the engine/head if the T/Belt did break...

--
Tp,

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...