1965 Mustang PS Conversion

Old March 4th 05, 07:30 AM
Spike

As I recall, if you only do the column (of which I think I have seen 2
versions- one 12 position and one a 5 position) there is a point where
you need to use the sawzall anyway.

I had RP in my MG Midget. The day I bought it, they opened up the
showroom window/doors so I could drive it out onto the highway. I did.
As I turned left onto the northbound lane, I found myself going
sideways. Shocked the heck out of the Japanese drivers all around me.
And we served dinner on my spouse's dinner plate sized eyes... LOL

It's going to be a while before I get to RP. Too many higher priority
things on the list. I'm putting a bump steer kit on it anyway. The
negative wedge is on it already (Vintage Wheel Works said it was
necessary to go to the bigger wheels. No they don't sell them, so it
wasn't for the sale... and I could have bought one anywhere. They just
feel the handling is better. I may do the column though. I have a lot
of cross country travel to do (Kate- ice the beer, I gotta be in Ohio
the 23rd or 30th of April... ) and comfort is high on the priority
list.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:00:56 -0700, ".boB"
> wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>
>> I know the column is Flaming River, but isn't the R&P Flaming River as
>> well?
>>
>> Overall, what did you think? quality, ease of install, etc....

> Yes, it's all built by FR, column, rack, U-joints,
>cradle, etc. It think it's a pretty good quality, but
>there were a couple of things I was not happy with.
> I've used FR racks before, and never had any
>problems. I have one in my Cobra kit. They are
>smooth, long lasting, and fit the application well.
>I've never heard of one failing.
> The cradle fit almost exactly as designed. There
>was a poorly done weld on my car (not the cradle) that
>I had to modify for. And the right side rack bracket
>hit the starter motor, so I had to modify that a
>little. But the rack and cradle really was a simple
>bolt on affair.
> There are separate parts for headers and
>non-headers applications.
> The U-joints are very high quality. I think they
>are the best in the business.
> The column was another matter. It's a tilt, but
>only seems to have two positions. I had some trouble
>getting it wired correctly, the instructions were not
>exactly correct. I used the service manual to get that
>right. The floor plate is held to the column by two
>cheesy little #6 sheet metal screws. I added two steel
>#10 nutserts in their place, and two stainless bolts.
>And the column feels rough when you turn it, it makes a
>slight scraping noise. All in all, a shoddy piece of work.
>
> If I were to do it again, I would use the FR rack
>and cradle, and go to Iditit for the column. If you
>want power steering, go to Steeroids or Total Control.
>
> And here's another little tip that nobody has
>mentioned before. You know the stock '65 steering
>column and box are one piece, affectionately known as
>the "Thoracic Impaler". There is no way you're going
>to get that out in one piece with the engine in place.
> That's where a sawzall comes in.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old March 4th 05, 01:47 PM
Wound Up

Spike wrote:
> As I recall, if you only do the column (of which I think I have seen 2
> versions- one 12 position and one a 5 position) there is a point where
> you need to use the sawzall anyway.
>
> I had RP in my MG Midget. The day I bought it, they opened up the
> showroom window/doors so I could drive it out onto the highway. I did.
> As I turned left onto the northbound lane, I found myself going
> sideways. Shocked the heck out of the Japanese drivers all around me.
> And we served dinner on my spouse's dinner plate sized eyes... LOL
>
> It's going to be a while before I get to RP. Too many higher priority
> things on the list. I'm putting a bump steer kit on it anyway. The
> negative wedge is on it already (Vintage Wheel Works said it was
> necessary to go to the bigger wheels. No they don't sell them, so it
> wasn't for the sale...

How are those bump-steer kits? Any brand recs?
Negative wedge... wasn't for sale? Me confused..

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 4th 05, 07:24 PM
Spike

The negative wedge kit lowers the front end in what is generally
refereed to as a "Cobra drop" (though amount of drop varies).
These were available from Summit, Mustangs Plus, etc. Vintage wheel
works, who said I needed one with their Vintage 40 wheels when I up
sized to 16" doesn't sell them, so it's not like they say that just to
sell you something else.

This in turn, leads to a minor problem involving the anti-sway bar
during turns. The bump steer kit is like a spacer for the bar,
lowering and insulating the mount points.

Note that this is not the techno jargon but a simplified explanation.
Reportedly, the kit (in this case from Mustangs Plus) eliminates the
bump steer effect. Won't really know until I try it, but it's worth it
to me, and a few people in the club (local) suggested it as a good
move.

Old March 4th 05, 08:08 PM
Wound Up

Spike wrote:
> The negative wedge kit lowers the front end in what is generally
> refereed to as a "Cobra drop" (though amount of drop varies).
> These were available from Summit, Mustangs Plus, etc. Vintage wheel
> works, who said I needed one with their Vintage 40 wheels when I up
> sized to 16" doesn't sell them, so it's not like they say that just to
> sell you something else.

Gotcha... this is not the Shelby upper control arm, lowering, is it (you
do have a '65), it's just lowering the ride height?

> This in turn, leads to a minor problem involving the anti-sway bar
> during turns. The bump steer kit is like a spacer for the bar,
> lowering and insulating the mount points.

I've seen articles on it. I've heard it can be used to absorb bump
steer on all early Mustangs...

> Note that this is not the techno jargon but a simplified explanation.
> Reportedly, the kit (in this case from Mustangs Plus) eliminates the
> bump steer effect. Won't really know until I try it, but it's worth it
> to me, and a few people in the club (local) suggested it as a good
> move.

If you remember, let me know how the bump steer hardware works... I'm
curious.. thanks

Old March 4th 05, 11:23 PM
Spike

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:08:04 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:

>Spike wrote:
>> The negative wedge kit lowers the front end in what is generally
>> refereed to as a "Cobra drop" (though amount of drop varies).
>> These were available from Summit, Mustangs Plus, etc. Vintage wheel
>> works, who said I needed one with their Vintage 40 wheels when I up
>> sized to 16" doesn't sell them, so it's not like they say that just to
>> sell you something else.

>Gotcha... this is not the Shelby upper control arm, lowering, is it (you
>do have a '65), it's just lowering the ride height?

It's a 65 and the Cobra drop is not the same length, but it amounts to
doing the same thing.

>> This in turn, leads to a minor problem involving the anti-sway bar
>> during turns. The bump steer kit is like a spacer for the bar,
>> lowering and insulating the mount points.

>I've seen articles on it. I've heard it can be used to absorb bump
>steer on all early Mustangs...

So I'm told. For the price (about $239 plus any tax and S&H) I'm not
losing a heck of a lot even if it didn't. The final bill (several
years in the making) for resto and all mods is in the neighborhood of
$40K and it's not even for a show car.