91 Accord electrical failure

Old September 1st 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
IrishSmithy

Default 91 Accord electrical failure

My son's 91 Accord DX suddenly quit the other day. Just before it stopped
running, he noticed all the gauges stopped working. He was able to get it to
a mechanic who recharged his battery. It ran for while, then quit again. So
far he has replaced the battery, starter and alternator. Today, with a new
battery, same problem. He thinks that the interval that the car runs after a
new battery charge is consistent. It seems to me that the car may be running
soley on battery power. When the battery reaches discharge, the car quits.
Could this be avoltage regulator problem that is not recharging the battery
properly? Ant other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old September 1st 09, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer

On 8/31/09 9:19 PM, in article ,
"IrishSmithy" > wrote:

> My son's 91 Accord DX suddenly quit the other day. Just before it stopped
> running, he noticed all the gauges stopped working. He was able to get it to
> a mechanic who recharged his battery. It ran for while, then quit again. So
> far he has replaced the battery, starter and alternator. Today, with a new
> battery, same problem. He thinks that the interval that the car runs after a
> new battery charge is consistent. It seems to me that the car may be running
> soley on battery power. When the battery reaches discharge, the car quits.
> Could this be avoltage regulator problem that is not recharging the battery
> properly? Ant other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Test the battery & see if its charged. The failure you describe sounds more
like a bad ignition switch.

Old September 1st 09, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"E. Meyer" > wrote in
:

> On 8/31/09 9:19 PM, in article ,
> "IrishSmithy" > wrote:
>
>> My son's 91 Accord DX suddenly quit the other day. Just before it
>> stopped running, he noticed all the gauges stopped working. He was
>> able to get it to a mechanic who recharged his battery. It ran for
>> while, then quit again. So far he has replaced the battery, starter
>> and alternator. Today, with a new battery, same problem. He thinks
>> that the interval that the car runs after a new battery charge is
>> consistent. It seems to me that the car may be running soley on
>> battery power. When the battery reaches discharge, the car quits.
>> Could this be avoltage regulator problem that is not recharging the
>> battery properly? Ant other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>>

> Test the battery & see if its charged. The failure you describe
> sounds more like a bad ignition switch.

Ditto.

I'll bet none of the dashboard warning lights illuminated when the car
died.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 4th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
IrishSmithy

Default 91 Accord electrical failure - problem solved!

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Although I'm 1,000 miles away and
couldn't help him physically, with your assistance, I was talking hm through
the problem. As it turned out, the connection plug to the alternator had
worked itself loose, so it was not charging the battery. Essentially he was
using the battery charge to run all the electrics. When the battery arrived
at full discharge, the car died. Connection is now secure, and he's back in
business. Thanks very much for your help.
I guess the lesson learned is: If it's electrical, check all the connections
first.