Which car to sell?

Old August 26th 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tim[_3_]

Default Which car to sell?

My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't want
one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.

I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer 1999
AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and the
Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have been
fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either; either
will serve her needs equally well.

Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
that.

Old August 26th 06, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
daytripper

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:29:58 GMT, "Tim" > wrote:

>My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't want
>one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>
>I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer 1999
>AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and the
>Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have been
>fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either; either
>will serve her needs equally well.
>
>Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
>and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
>that.

Well, it's a close call. The Caravan may eat its tranny soon, but a '99
Exploder has likely revealed its true, POS nature after 7 years. If we're
talking strictly on-road travel, no hauling or towing involved, that Ford has
very little redeeming qualities, so I'd dump the Exploder like a bad habit.

Better still, sell both of them and buy your spouse a nice runabout that gets
twice the mileage of either the GC or the Exploder...

/daytripper
'05 Durango Hemi Ltd
'00 S4 6spd
Old August 27th 06, 10:57 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Coasty[_1_]

"Tim" > wrote in message
> My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't
> want one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>
> I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer
> 1999 AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and
> the Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have
> been fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either;
> either will serve her needs equally well.
>
> Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
> and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
> that.

Sell them both and reinvest the capitol is something good but used.
Coasty

Old August 27th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tim[_3_]

"Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote in message
. ..

> "Tim" > wrote in message
>> My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't
>> want one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>>
>> I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer
>> 1999 AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and
>> the Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have
>> been fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either;
>> either will serve her needs equally well.
>>
>> Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for
>> sale and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational
>> than that.
>>

> Sell them both and reinvest the capitol is something good but used.
> Coasty

The plan was to give him back the one we don't sell next summer, and buy her
a new small SUV.

Old August 28th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Jack Carter

Dump the Exploder and consider yourself lucky that it hasn't rolled over or
spontaneously gone up in flames for no apparent reason. It was a POS when it
rolled off the assembly line brand new.

"Tim" > wrote in message
> My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't
> want one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>
> I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer
> 1999 AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and
> the Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have
> been fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either;
> either will serve her needs equally well.
>
> Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
> and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
> that.

It has removed 1576 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old August 29th 06, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Ray

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:29:58 GMT, "Tim" > wrote:

>My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't want
>one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>
>I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer 1999
>AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and the
>Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have been
>fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either; either
>will serve her needs equally well.
>
>Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
>and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
>that.

Do you ALWAYS ask strangers to make these kinds of decisions for you?

Grow a set, man! Which vehicle do YOU prefer? Which one has given
YOU the least trouble in maintaining? Christ, act like a man and make
your OWN decision!

Old August 29th 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tim[_3_]

"Ray" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:29:58 GMT, "Tim" > wrote:
>
>>My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't
>>want
>>one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
>>
>>I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer
>>1999
>>AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and the
>>Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have been
>>fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either; either
>>will serve her needs equally well.
>>
>>Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale
>>and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than
>>that.
>>

> Do you ALWAYS ask strangers to make these kinds of decisions for you?

No, but I frequently ask strangers for advice who might know more than I do.

> Grow a set, man! Which vehicle do YOU prefer? Which one has given
> YOU the least trouble in maintaining? Christ, act like a man and make
> your OWN decision!

I wonder if you are enough of a man to spew crap like this in person, or
just on line?

Old August 30th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Wesley

Which one does your son want if you're going to give him one of them?

Wesley

Old September 7th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
James Goforth

Get rid of the one which has that filthy, four-letter F-word on the
grill.
This is a slam-dunk no-brainer.

Have you posed this question in alt.autos.ford?

Old September 7th 06, 07:15 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
grappletech

another option: Sell both now (privately, don't trade in) and get her the
smallish SUV now. Then when son comes home, buy him a used car that he'd
like. I don't think he'd dig the minivan or Explorer (unless he's a
camper/outdoorsy type of guy).