Crushing

Old July 18th 05, 08:32 PM
TerryB

Default Crushing

Went in the shop yesterday and was determine to get some engine work
done. List of things to do:

Put loc-tite on the push rod nuts and torque. Check
Replace fuel pump Bake lite base. Check
Assemble pistons and rings. Check
Dress barrel shims per John C's recommendations. Check
Assemble jugs, pistons, heads and push rod tubes.

Here is where the problem occured.

I had everything together, meaning, jugs, pistons, rings, shims, push
rod tubes and seals. Kept working with the tubes till all four were in
place. Got the head nuts started and proceeded to torque all to the
specs. Got through and was looking over the head and noticed that one
of the tubes looked funny as to how it was centered in the head hole.
Took a look underneath and found that the end had popped out of the
block and now was sitting at a 45 degree angle to the block and only
covering half the hole in the block. CRAP!!!

Now, I have to unbolt the head to get this tube back in place. So I
got back according to the torque pattern and loosen everything back up
and the tube will now pop back into place. A little tweeking and it is
straight and all looks good. Retorque and all looks well now.

Then the thinking sets in, I did not remove the tube all the way to
check the end to see how bad the very end may be crimped. It did not
cross my mind at the time. I will take a flash light and look down
into it and see what it looks like. All the seals sit well and it
appears good and straight. Got a good coat of sealant on the seals as
well. Not too much, not to little, just right. Should be a real leak
free seal. But that all maybe for naught if the tube is
crimped.......nuts. If I had only thought about that then. (STUPID)
And these are new tubes as well. Not a big loss I know, but that is
not the point to me. Just a dumb mistake on my part.

Any way, I got half a motor together. I still feel good about that.
It has been tough working in time for the engine as of late. Very hot
and humid the whole time wrenching and it was still a good feeling
working on the VW engine. There is just something deep within that
gets great satisfaction from DIY, whether it is engine building,
woodworking or whatever. I like being able to Do It Myself. (Even if
it gets crossed up sometimes.)

Old July 18th 05, 08:53 PM
Jan Andersson

I wonder if there was a question in there somewhere

Don't feel bad, little annoying things like this happen sometimes to the
best of them.

If the tube is straight, and you cant turn it in place after the head is
torqued down, then it's probably ok.

If it was an old rusty tube, it could have a crack in the crimped
section and you wouldn't see it.

Hey, if it doesn't leak or interfere with the pushrod, it's ok

Jan
Old July 19th 05, 04:41 PM
TerryB

Jan Andersson wrote:
> I wonder if there was a question in there somewhere
>
> Don't feel bad, little annoying things like this happen sometimes to the
> best of them.
>
> If the tube is straight, and you cant turn it in place after the head is
> torqued down, then it's probably ok.
>
> If it was an old rusty tube, it could have a crack in the crimped
> section and you wouldn't see it.
>
> Hey, if it doesn't leak or interfere with the pushrod, it's ok
>
> Jan

And to add to my insult, I forgot to put the lower air deflector in
place under the jugs............. I thought things went to well up to
the point of finding the bent tube and have gone down hill since. Not
discouraged though, Rome was not built in a day. I shall keep forging
ahead!

On a note, the tube did not bend in the middle only on the flexible end
luckily, so it should be fine but I still need to check the very end of
it where the seal is.

I feel much better now that Jan has razzed me a little, knowing that he
has been there and done that, whether he actually said it or not, makes
things better some how. LOL

Old July 19th 05, 05:25 PM
Joao Eliseu

"TerryB" > wrote:

>Jan Andersson wrote:
>> I wonder if there was a question in there somewhere
>>
>> Don't feel bad, little annoying things like this happen sometimes to the
>> best of them.
>>
>> If the tube is straight, and you cant turn it in place after the head is
>> torqued down, then it's probably ok.
>>
>> If it was an old rusty tube, it could have a crack in the crimped
>> section and you wouldn't see it.
>>
>> Hey, if it doesn't leak or interfere with the pushrod, it's ok
>>
>> Jan

>And to add to my insult, I forgot to put the lower air deflector in
>place under the jugs............. I thought things went to well up to
>the point of finding the bent tube and have gone down hill since. Not
>discouraged though, Rome was not built in a day. I shall keep forging
>ahead!
>
>On a note, the tube did not bend in the middle only on the flexible end
>luckily, so it should be fine but I still need to check the very end of
>it where the seal is.
>
>I feel much better now that Jan has razzed me a little, knowing that he
>has been there and done that, whether he actually said it or not, makes
>things better some how. LOL

And when we are put an electric plug and we forget to pass the wire by the hole
in first place. When we are not working on a usual task we tend to forget something.

Joao
Old July 20th 05, 09:54 AM
ThaDriver

>And to add to my insult, I forgot to put the lower air deflector in
place under the jugs............. I thought things went to well up to
the point of finding the bent tube and have gone down hill since. Not
discouraged though, Rome was not built in a day. I shall keep forging
ahead!

>On a note, the tube did not bend in the middle only on the flexible end

luckily, so it should be fine but I still need to check the very end of
it where the seal is.
************
Easy to do both of those things.
You did put the seam at the top of the tubes, right?
I would pull that tube out & check it now anyway (if that's the side you
forgot the tin on then you'll do that anyway). Eaiser to do it now than
later if it leaks...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Since I gave up hope I feel much better.

Old July 20th 05, 03:32 PM
TerryB

ThaDriver wrote:
> >And to add to my insult, I forgot to put the lower air deflector in

> place under the jugs............. I thought things went to well up to
> the point of finding the bent tube and have gone down hill since. Not
> discouraged though, Rome was not built in a day. I shall keep forging
> ahead!
>
> >On a note, the tube did not bend in the middle only on the flexible end

> luckily, so it should be fine but I still need to check the very end of
> it where the seal is.
> ************
> Easy to do both of those things.
> You did put the seam at the top of the tubes, right?
> I would pull that tube out & check it now anyway (if that's the side you
> forgot the tin on then you'll do that anyway). Eaiser to do it now than
> later if it leaks...
> ~ Paul
> aka "Tha Driver"
>
> Since I gave up hope I feel much better.

I went ahead and pulled the head. I checked the tube and it was a
little crumpled on the very end, but nothing that could not be tweeked
with some needle nose pliers. Also installed the tin for the
cylinders. There is no way of putting the tin in while the push rod
tubes are in place. At least to install it the way it was meant to be
installed. You could wire it in place with out all the tabs on it, but
that would be a last resort kind of hack.

I now have both heads on with no major incidents this time. Things are
looking good now. Next step is to install the push rods and the
rockers and check geometry. I pretty much failed geometry in High
School, LOL, but that is another story. Hope I don't fail it this time
either. Any tips you dubbers may have for a green builder would be
great. I got some books and the Bugme Vid, but War Theater input is
very useful as well for me. The books cover the general/normal things
well, but out of the norm can be daunting at best and this is usually
where my path leads.

Thanks in Advance!!