How a manual transmission works... a question

Old May 26th 05, 02:52 PM
Hugo Schmeisser

Don Stauffer wrote:

> wrote:
> > Some cars used to have a reverse lockout which helped to prevent
> > disaster when overvigorously
> > shifting.
> >
> > It isnt likely you would get it completely into reverse while moving
> > forward, but even to snag a little
> > bit of the gear could, would, cause splinters to fly.
> >

> The percentage that had that lockout was small, in my experience.
> None of my cars had it. I have driven ones that did, however.
> Usually it required an upward 'lifting' of the lever when going into
> reverse.

Most of the (new-ish) cars I've driven have had a reverse lockout of
some kind on the lever mechanism.

Several kinds come to mind:
Push down on lever whilst moving to reverse
Pull up on lever whilst moving to reverse
Pause in the centre of the pattern (neutral) first, then to reverse
Two-fingered handle to pull up whilst moving to reverse
Old May 27th 05, 05:11 AM
Old Wolf

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> >From the colored diagram.... Please correct me if I have this wrong:

> The purple collars are always spinning when the car is moving. The
> blue, red, and green STOP spinning when the clutch is in neutral and
> the clutch is pushed in, or at least, spinning slowly from the friction
> of the output shaft (yellow) rubbing on the bearings that the blue
> gears ride on.

Something I hadn't considered befo this diagram shows that when
you're in gear, ALL of the blue and red gears are moving.

Now I understand why people quote such high figures for
power loss in the transmission! (eg. 300hp at engine = 220hp
at wheels).

Old May 28th 05, 03:14 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

> Trying to understand more about manual's, and came across this
> excellent article:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

> However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?

The damage deposit you left with the auto rental agency.

--
Paul Hovnanian
definition: recursion; see recursion.
Old June 13th 05, 11:46 PM
Louis M. Brown

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:19:04 GMT, Don Bruder > wrote:

>In article >,
> Mike Romain > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Trying to understand more about manual's, and came across this
>> > excellent article:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission5.htm

>> > However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
>> > from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?
>> >

>> Absolutely nothing, I have done it. I hit reverse in a car once and
>> only locked the rear wheels into a chirp when I realized it. Nothing
>> blew up.... I was lucky....

>Yep, that would make two of us - Although I accomplished mine in a car
>with an automatic. Had this "hit the lights all green" strategy that
>seemed to do *WAY* better than 75% - Come off the the north/south
>freeway onto the east/west freeway leading into town, and mash the
>throttle for all it could give me/all traffic allowed in the space
>between the end of the off-ramp and the "Freeway ends 1 mile" sign.
>Usually that meant I'd be hitting somewhere between 70 and 80 as I blew
>past the sign. Bump the shifter into neutral, and coast in to the first
>light, which would (more often than not) change green just as I rolled
>up at about 40-ish. If I caught the first one, bumping it back into gear
>and holding at 40 would put me through the entire ten light sequence
>with every one of them green my way.
>
>One day I did this for probably the 100th time, if not more, only my
>"bump" was a bit too energetic, and I went through neutral and into
>reverse... <SHREEEEEIIIIIIIIK!> Smoking rubber, ass-end juddering around
>like it was about to go into bucking bronco mode, and me grabbing wildly
>at the gearshift with one hand while trying to keep the car pointed
>straight with the other, and the engine stalling out. It was a rather
>"interesting" ride that I don't have any wish to go on again!
>
>Didn't do any damage (that was evident right then, anyway... Strongly
>suspect that it WAS the death-stroke for the tranny, though, since it
>was only a couple months later that the thing went completely
>tango-uniform) but by all rights, that transmission should have gone off
>like a bomb... Manual or automatic, they just aren't made for being
>punched into reverse at 70+!

Yea, other than burning the CRAP out of the reverse/high clutch pack
(reverse/low if GMC, don't know Mopar trans too well, ) and the band,
there's probably not too much else you could screw up. Of course, all
that clutch material that's suddenly been given a permanent vacation
from the disks (and the band!) would probably have contributed to the
death of that trans...

but, **** happens.

-LMB

Manual Transmission Question: [email protected] Jeep 0 February 7th 05 04:24 PM
Transmission question Rob Honda 3 February 2nd 05 06:37 AM
1996 Jetta Transmission Question Lee VW water cooled 0 December 17th 04 08:57 AM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 05:45 PM
What is the best manual transmission oil to use on a 98 Jetta TDI AlanH70 VW water cooled 1 September 22nd 04 04:33 PM