Stripped threads in carburetor

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 25th 05, 05:18 PM
Kevin Bottorff

Mike Romain > wrote in
:

> sdlomi2 wrote:
>>
>> "Joe Dackman" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > I have a 1981 F-150 with 302 motor and automatic transmission.
>> > Bought it a few months ago from a guy whose condo association made
>> > him get rid of it.
>> >
>> > The fuel filter is the sort that screws into the carburetor. While
>> > replacing it I managed to damage the threads in the carburetor
>> > inlet.
>> >
>> > What I'm looking for is an inexpensive way to fix the problem,
>> > preferably without removing the carburetor from the vehicle. I
>> > don't want to spend a lot of money on this. The carburetor itself
>> > is working OK and I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. As
>> > is the motor will run fine, but there is a leak from the carb inlet
>> > due to the threads being stripped.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
>> >
>> > Joe
>> >

>> Go to Lowe's. Buy a roll of teflon tape, used to seal pipe
>> joints to
>> prevent leaks. Carefully replace the filter, after winding the tape
>> on the male threads in the direction such that it tightens the end
>> rather than loosen it when you screw the filter back in. HTH & good
>> luck, s

> Teflon tape is 'not' a sealant, it is only a lubricant allowing you to
> tighten a fitting easier and tighter. It will not work on stripped
> threads.
>
> Loctite 'might' work if it get a chance to cure before use or a
> helicoil thread replacement can work.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

sorry but wrong. teflon tape is not a lub it is a sealant. it is
developed specificily for pipe threads and is made to seal the thread in
a liquid fitting. use enough wraps and it can sometimes crutch up and
seal buggered up threads if your carefull. it is worth a try. KB

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup

removing stripped spark plug - suggestions? pws Mazda 16 April 18th 05 11:17 PM
Suggestions on how to clean/wash carburetor [email protected] Technology 4 April 7th 05 05:35 AM
Stripped Thread Help Tony Technology 3 December 14th 04 09:16 AM
Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 05:31 AM
Twisted-off Spark plug Threads Removed Gene Gardner General 0 October 5th 04 07:08 PM