93 civic turns over but won't start

Old February 23rd 05, 04:59 PM

Default 93 civic turns over but won't start

Hello,

I've looked at quite a few posts plus I've read, re-read and read
some more of a Haynes service manual and am about at the end of my
rope. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Here's my story:
I drove my 93 civic to work last week and at lunch it wouldn't
start. It would turn over but that was it.

I had it towed home and a friend came over and we checked a few things.
The timing belt seems to look fine. We unscrewed a vent type of nut
from the top of the fuel filter and turned over the engine and gas was
coming out.

Then we checked for sparks on the wires. We didn't have any sparks.
So we started looking at the distributor.

We couldn't see anything obvious so I picked up a ohmmeter/voltmeter
and tested the coil. It seemed to fail the test the book mentions so I
bought another coil. Also, I bought new plugs, new rotor and new cap
and fuel filter (they haven't been replace for too many miles
anyway). I installed all of the above stuff I bought and the car still
won't start.

The sound it makes now, after the new coil, rotor & cap are installed,
when it turns over is a bit different. Sounds like it almost wants to
catch, but doesn't. I checked 2 of the wires (1 & 2) and they both
have a spark going to them. One thing I want to check is to go ahead
and check the other 2 wires. But my guess is that they are fine too. I
say this because I checked the resistance of the wires with my new
ohmmeter and they seemed to check out; that's why I didn't go ahead
and buy new wires.

But the big problem is: the car still won't start!!

So, is it something maybe with the fuel too? I can hear the pump kick
on when I turn the ignition switch on and fuel comes out. One test in
the book says to attach a fuel pressure test kit and test for pressure
(but that's another $30 and 3 hours of time).

I still haven't checked the ICM, but could the distributor be
producing a spark to the wires without the ICM working correctly? As it
stands it seems like maybe I should take back the new coil and get an
entire distributor and put the new one in and see if that would work.
The one in there now is also a replacement I had put in about 3 years
ago. It's one from a 95 honda civic.

At this point I'm ready to go ahead and let a shop look at it. I let
a friend talk me into trying to get it started at home but it's been
over a week since it broke down and I have a spare vehicle to use to
get around but I need my work car back. I'd rather learn to fix it
because it's totally paid for and I would like to continue using my
beloved honda as long as possible.

The car has 196,000 miles or so.

Thanks for any help you can give to save my sanity and get my car
fixed.

P.S. This is also posted in rec.autos.tech group

Old February 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
remco

I don't think your ignitor is the problem as you are getting sparks.

You could have jumped some teeth, but that is also less likely since you
weren't getting sparks. What are the chances that you have both problems
happen at the very same time, right?

Last time I had a problem like this with our integra, after I got it all
fixed it would not start either. It sounded different, but just wouldn't
catch. I had spark again so my problem was indeed fixed (in my case it was
the ignitor and coil).
To get it started, I took the large air intake hose off and shot some
starter fluid in the manifold. Flooring the pedal, It caughed back to life
and has been running fine since then.

I am not sure why this was needed, but suspect that the computer somehow
retained the bad condition and made adjustments accordingly. After the fix
was made, those adjustments were totally bogus. This is pure conjecture, but
it worked for me.
(On a Subaru and Saab, I do know the computers does do weird things like
this, so my assumption is that Honda/Accura might be similar)

Hope this is useful to you.
Remco

Old February 23rd 05, 06:35 PM

remco wrote:
> I don't think your ignitor is the problem as you are getting sparks.
>
> You could have jumped some teeth, but that is also less likely since

you
> weren't getting sparks. What are the chances that you have both

problems
> happen at the very same time, right?
>
> Last time I had a problem like this with our integra, after I got it

all
> fixed it would not start either. It sounded different, but just

wouldn't
> catch. I had spark again so my problem was indeed fixed (in my case

it was
> the ignitor and coil).
> To get it started, I took the large air intake hose off and shot some
> starter fluid in the manifold. Flooring the pedal, It caughed back to

life
> and has been running fine since then.
>
> I am not sure why this was needed, but suspect that the computer

somehow
> retained the bad condition and made adjustments accordingly. After

the fix
> was made, those adjustments were totally bogus. This is pure

conjecture, but
> it worked for me.
> (On a Subaru and Saab, I do know the computers does do weird things

like
> this, so my assumption is that Honda/Accura might be similar)
>
> Hope this is useful to you.
> Remco

Thanks for the help, I'll try these things and get back to you

Old February 23rd 05, 06:35 PM

Thanks, I'll try these things and get back to you

Old February 24th 05, 12:57 AM
disallow

yes, i agree with john, if the fuel line was emptied out, there may be air
pockets, so it would need to be primed b4 it will deliver fuel properly...

Old February 24th 05, 01:38 AM
Graham W

> Thanks, I'll try these things and get back to you

Clean the external surface of the HT plug wires with some kind
of solvent (gas?) and when it's completely dried out try it again.

--
Graham W
http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
Old February 24th 05, 05:34 AM
SoCalMike

John Ings wrote:
> So either jumper 12 volts direct to the fuel pump for a minute or so,
> or cycle the ignition key from off to run a dozen times before you try
> to turn the engine over. See also:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#stalling

good time to check for leaks, too.
Old February 25th 05, 07:00 PM

I didn't really consider myself a newbie....but sorry for causing the
confusion of posting in 2 groups.

I broke down and took the car to a local mechanic. They ran a
dianostic: no problems. Saw gas on the spark plugs and realized it was
flooded. Now it's running fine.

In the future, how to you fix flooding?

Thanks for the help and the posts.

Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 02:43 PM
1993 Civic Will Not Start Aly Honda 8 December 14th 04 01:33 AM
civic won't start after timing belt change-HELP! Ropert's Aloha Honda 24 November 24th 04 10:00 AM
2000 Civic LX hard to start, no spark at all. Alan Russell Honda 15 November 2nd 04 12:01 PM