'95 328i Clutch Adjustment

Old February 15th 05, 08:38 PM
Paul Gilowey

Default '95 328i Clutch Adjustment

Does anyone know if the height at which my clutch "takes" can be
adjusted? It seems to "take" rather low down... With my heafty boots I
find it difficult to depress the clutch all the way.

Just a tad annoying....

Thanks
Paul
Old February 15th 05, 09:21 PM
The Malt Hound

"Paul Gilowey" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know if the height at which my clutch "takes" can be
> adjusted? It seems to "take" rather low down... With my heafty boots
> find it difficult to depress the clutch all the way.
>
> Just a tad annoying....

Not really. Because the clutch is hydraulically operated it is "self
adjusting".
That said, if your disengagement point is late (too low) it may be due
to air in the line.
Try bleeding the circuit.

-Fred W

Old February 15th 05, 10:10 PM

Hi Fred

Thanks for the advice. I actually had my clutch replaced today. My old
one took pretty low, but not as low as the new one. I asked the
mechanic to bleed the system, which he did, but perhaps he never did it
properly.

In addition to the clutch taking a little low, I find it sometimes
feels as though the clutch is slipping a little as I pull away... but
perhaps that's just because the height at which the clutch takes is
different and I'm not useto it....

I also had new brake disks and pads fitted, and asked him to bleed the
brakes. The brakes now feel a little spongy, and not as solid as they
did before. Could it be as a result of the type of pad fitted, as they
were not BMW pads?

Thanks again for your input.

Regards
Paul

Old February 15th 05, 10:45 PM
Jim

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Fred
>
> Thanks for the advice. I actually had my clutch replaced today. My old
> one took pretty low, but not as low as the new one. I asked the
> mechanic to bleed the system, which he did, but perhaps he never did it
> properly.
>
> In addition to the clutch taking a little low, I find it sometimes
> feels as though the clutch is slipping a little as I pull away... but
> perhaps that's just because the height at which the clutch takes is
> different and I'm not useto it....

Or perhaps the mechanic didn't install it correctly.

> I also had new brake disks and pads fitted, and asked him to bleed the
> brakes. The brakes now feel a little spongy, and not as solid as they
> did before. Could it be as a result of the type of pad fitted, as they
> were not BMW pads?

They still need to be bled. Perhaps you should switch mechanics.
Jim

Old February 16th 05, 12:47 PM
Paul Gilowey

Hi Jim

The mechanics are generally ok... but I think they were in a rush, so
perhaps as you say - both need to be bled again. Maybe I should just
do it myself... sigh.

Paul
Old February 16th 05, 01:49 PM
The Malt Hound

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Fred
>
> Thanks for the advice. I actually had my clutch replaced today. My
> old
> one took pretty low, but not as low as the new one. I asked the
> mechanic to bleed the system, which he did, but perhaps he never did
> it
> properly.
>
> In addition to the clutch taking a little low, I find it sometimes
> feels as though the clutch is slipping a little as I pull away...
> but
> perhaps that's just because the height at which the clutch takes is
> different and I'm not useto it....
>
> I also had new brake disks and pads fitted, and asked him to bleed
> the
> brakes. The brakes now feel a little spongy, and not as solid as
> they
> did before. Could it be as a result of the type of pad fitted, as
> they
> were not BMW pads?
>
> Thanks again for your input.

Yes, it sounds as if maybe your mechanic does not have a good method
for bleeding hydraulic lines. New brake pads do not cause the brake
pedal to feel spongy. They may have a different rate at which they
stop the car, but the pedal feel is all about the hydraulic lines.

Both symptoms (clutch and brakes) would indicate air in the lines.

Good luck with it,
-Fred W

Old February 16th 05, 02:32 PM

The Malt Hound wrote:

> Yes, it sounds as if maybe your mechanic does not have a good method
> for bleeding hydraulic lines. New brake pads do not cause the brake
> pedal to feel spongy. They may have a different rate at which they
> stop the car, but the pedal feel is all about the hydraulic lines.
>
> Both symptoms (clutch and brakes) would indicate air in the lines.
>
> Good luck with it,
> -Fred W

I agree (about the mech) but new pads can take a little while to bed in
and make it seem like the pedal is spongy.

The clutch shouldn't slip at all. The trick with these when bleeding
is to remove the slave cylinder fromt he transmission. It could be
that your slave cylinder has failed in some way though.

Old February 16th 05, 02:57 PM
The Malt Hound

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> The Malt Hound wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it sounds as if maybe your mechanic does not have a good
>> method
>> for bleeding hydraulic lines. New brake pads do not cause the
>> brake
>> pedal to feel spongy. They may have a different rate at which they
>> stop the car, but the pedal feel is all about the hydraulic lines.
>>
>> Both symptoms (clutch and brakes) would indicate air in the lines.
>>
>> Good luck with it,
>> -Fred W

> I agree (about the mech) but new pads can take a little while to bed
> in
> and make it seem like the pedal is spongy.

If you say so... I've changed pads a lot and never experienced this.

> The clutch shouldn't slip at all. The trick with these when
> bleeding
> is to remove the slave cylinder fromt he transmission. It could be
> that your slave cylinder has failed in some way though.

Quick ad-on here. Even if the clutch line needs to be bled, there is
zero possibility that this would cause the clutch to "slip". Think
about it... air in the line makes it harder to disengage the clutch.
It should engage just fine.

To test for slipping, while at a stand-still, put the trans in 3rd
gear and rev the engine and let out the clutch fairly rapidly. The
engine should immediately stall. If it does not, the clutch will slip
and you should be able to sense that.

-Fred W

Old February 16th 05, 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I called my mechanic today and he reckons
that the clutch may slip slightly until it has bed in. He indicated
that I should give it a week and if it is still a problem I could bring
it back. I'm not sure that I buy it, but I can't think what else it
could be. It seems to slip every now and again and then only between
about 1400 and 1900 RPM.

My gut feel is to agree with Fred in that I can't see how air in the
clutch fluid could cause slipping. I feel that the air could however
cause the clutch to take low down (practically on the floor) - since
much of the clutch travel is simply compressing air in the line.

Do any of you know if it's a mission to bleed the clutch? I have bled a
clutch on a Fiat Uno before... but the thing was in plain sight... I
can't even see my BM's master/slave (not sure which) cylinder :-).

Paul

Old February 16th 05, 08:23 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
The Malt Hound <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, it sounds as if maybe your mechanic does not have a good method
> for bleeding hydraulic lines. New brake pads do not cause the brake
> pedal to feel spongy.

If anything, forcing the caliper pistons back into the body sort of bleeds
the brakes anyway - possibly. However, many open a bleed screw to avoid
pushing fluid back into the reservoir, so this might introduce some air.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Wrong Clutch Fork? Michael White Jeep 6 February 8th 05 03:33 AM
Need good clutch for '94 4Runner V6 Matt Lang 4x4 4 January 14th 05 12:40 AM
Wacky Clutch Peter Pontbriand Jeep 14 December 19th 04 12:42 PM
e36 clutch pedal adjustment question P-u-h-e-k BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:41 PM
Land Rover Series 3 Clutch bc 4x4 0 August 13th 04 03:36 PM