98 Camaro V-6 Top End Noise When Cold

Old February 15th 05, 05:38 PM
Rick2950

Default 98 Camaro V-6 Top End Noise When Cold

I have a 98 Camaro, 4.3 V-6 with 105,000miles.
Lately upon startup and until it is warm, there is noise coming from
the top-end, to me it sounds like the rocker arms (or at least that
area) it quiets down when it gets warm. I am curious how concerned I
need to be about the noise or what should be done about it.

Service Engine Light did come on but has since went off,,,, so not sure
if there might still be a code showing if I take it in to a shop.

Other things to mention, the noise appeared only after I had run it out
of gas a week ago. (had not done that since high school) but I was
trying to start it until I realized it was out of gas, now am wondering
if I hurt some components from lack of proper oil flow.

Was running a bit rough from time to time upon startup before the gas
incident, but I did change the fuel filter and oil just a few days ago.

Tidbit,,,,, at 90,000miles, hit a pothole and lost reverse and 2nd
gear, after googling, I found the 4L60E transmission had issues with
broken gear and my repairs cost $1,800. (so if you lose reverse and
2nd) there is your cost estimate.

So if anyone has comments about my top end (rocker arm area) noise upon
startup, please share.

Thanks Much!!!

Old February 15th 05, 08:07 PM
Rick2950

Clarification: it is a 3.8 V-6 sorry for the incorrect info.

Old February 18th 05, 04:21 AM
sdlomi2

"Rick2950" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Clarification: it is a 3.8 V-6 sorry for the incorrect info.
>
> Rick2950 wrote:
> > I have a 98 Camaro, 4.3 V-6 with 105,000miles.
> > Lately upon startup and until it is warm, there is noise coming from
> > the top-end, to me it sounds like the rocker arms (or at least that
> > area) it quiets down when it gets warm. I am curious how concerned I
> > need to be about the noise or what should be done about it.
> >
> > Service Engine Light did come on but has since went off,,,, so not

> sure
> > if there might still be a code showing if I take it in to a shop.
> >
> > Other things to mention, the noise appeared only after I had run it

> out
> > of gas a week ago. (had not done that since high school) but I was
> > trying to start it until I realized it was out of gas, now am

> wondering
> > if I hurt some components from lack of proper oil flow.
> >
> > Was running a bit rough from time to time upon startup before the gas
> > incident, but I did change the fuel filter and oil just a few days

> ago.
> >
> > Tidbit,,,,, at 90,000miles, hit a pothole and lost reverse and 2nd
> > gear, after googling, I found the 4L60E transmission had issues with
> > broken gear and my repairs cost $1,800. (so if you lose reverse and
> > 2nd) there is your cost estimate.
> >
> > So if anyone has comments about my top end (rocker arm area) noise

> upon
> > startup, please share.
> >
> > Thanks Much!!!

At risk of flaming again from ones who have not experienced its value,
use a can of Marvel Mystery Oil (It has been around for years, altho' many
'noobies' possibly have never experienced or even heard of it.), and follow
its directions to a "TEE". It will help clean lifter-sludge which can cause
faulty lifter operation until the oil warms and flows better--good flowing
being a necessity for proper hydraulic operation. When dirty/cold, it flows
poorly & prevents lifters from maintaining proper clearance (in this case,
zero). Clean and warm, they 'work'. HTH, s

Old February 20th 05, 04:47 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

"Rick2950" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 98 Camaro, 4.3 V-6 with 105,000miles.
> Lately upon startup and until it is warm, there is noise coming from
> the top-end, to me it sounds like the rocker arms (or at least that
> area) it quiets down when it gets warm. I am curious how concerned I
> need to be about the noise or what should be done about it.
>
> Service Engine Light did come on but has since went off,,,, so not sure
> if there might still be a code showing if I take it in to a shop.
>
> Other things to mention, the noise appeared only after I had run it out
> of gas a week ago. (had not done that since high school) but I was
> trying to start it until I realized it was out of gas, now am wondering
> if I hurt some components from lack of proper oil flow.
>
> Was running a bit rough from time to time upon startup before the gas
> incident, but I did change the fuel filter and oil just a few days ago.
>
> Tidbit,,,,, at 90,000miles, hit a pothole and lost reverse and 2nd
> gear, after googling, I found the 4L60E transmission had issues with
> broken gear and my repairs cost $1,800. (so if you lose reverse and
> 2nd) there is your cost estimate.
>
> So if anyone has comments about my top end (rocker arm area) noise upon
> startup, please share.

Did you happen to begin hearing tappet sounds after the oil/filter change?!

What brand oil -- perhaps citgo (recycled) oil or??

BBA

Old February 20th 05, 03:39 PM
Steve W.

"Billy Bad Assr©" > wrote in message
> "Rick2950" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have a 98 Camaro, 4.3 V-6 with 105,000miles.
> > Lately upon startup and until it is warm, there is noise coming from
> > the top-end, to me it sounds like the rocker arms (or at least that
> > area) it quiets down when it gets warm. I am curious how concerned I
> > need to be about the noise or what should be done about it.
> >
> > Service Engine Light did come on but has since went off,,,, so not

sure
> > if there might still be a code showing if I take it in to a shop.
> >
> > Other things to mention, the noise appeared only after I had run it

out
> > of gas a week ago. (had not done that since high school) but I was
> > trying to start it until I realized it was out of gas, now am

wondering
> > if I hurt some components from lack of proper oil flow.
> >
> > Was running a bit rough from time to time upon startup before the

gas
> > incident, but I did change the fuel filter and oil just a few days

ago.

> > Tidbit,,,,, at 90,000miles, hit a pothole and lost reverse and 2nd
> > gear, after googling, I found the 4L60E transmission had issues with
> > broken gear and my repairs cost $1,800. (so if you lose reverse and
> > 2nd) there is your cost estimate.
> >
> > So if anyone has comments about my top end (rocker arm area) noise

upon
> > startup, please share.

> Did you happen to begin hearing tappet sounds after the oil/filter

change?!

> What brand oil -- perhaps citgo (recycled) oil or??
>
> BBA

Also what brand of filter? Some have been shown to lack real drain back
protection and cause the engine to start dry.
At least in one case it was a new Delco filter that was at fault.

Old February 21st 05, 01:41 AM
Rudy Hiebert

It may not be the brand that will solve the problem but the best lube
will do a better job of protection until the dysfunction is solved.
The 100% synthetic brand that is my choice for all sorts of reasons
can be seen at my web site.
RH