E30 2.5l O2 sensor

Old September 21st 04, 03:55 AM
FoggyBottom

Default E30 2.5l O2 sensor

It occured to me recently that my 13-year old 148000-mile 325iX is
running with its original O2 sensor. No complaints from the ECU and
out of sight, out of mind applies. I see that the recommended
replacement interval for this thing is 60K. Oops. That said, if it's
working, is it really necessary to replace it? If so, is that special
tool BMW recommends (it looks like a cross between a crow's-foot
socket and a shark's mouth) really necessary? With it seeming to be
working correctly this strikes me as letting a sleeping dog lie. Or
am I giving up power/performance/mileage that's not immediately
apparent? No problem with emissions testing, BTW.

If "replace it" is the answer, who do you like for the replacement
part? What's a good price?
Old September 21st 04, 04:26 AM
Somebody

"FoggyBottom" > wrote in message
> It occured to me recently that my 13-year old 148000-mile 325iX is
> running with its original O2 sensor. No complaints from the ECU and
> out of sight, out of mind applies. I see that the recommended
> replacement interval for this thing is 60K. Oops. That said, if it's
> working, is it really necessary to replace it? If so, is that special
> tool BMW recommends (it looks like a cross between a crow's-foot
> socket and a shark's mouth) really necessary? With it seeming to be
> working correctly this strikes me as letting a sleeping dog lie. Or
> am I giving up power/performance/mileage that's not immediately
> apparent? No problem with emissions testing, BTW.
>
> If "replace it" is the answer, who do you like for the replacement
> part? What's a good price?

If it's running well and you're passing emissions, I'd leave it. It's a
torch job to get it out at this point, no question.

I replaced mine with a Ford Mustang 4-wire sensor and cut the harness off
the spent BMW sensor. Was a lot cheaper than the BMW part.

-Russ.

Old September 23rd 04, 02:45 AM
FoggyBottom

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:26:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

>It's a
>torch job to get it out at this point, no question.

Yeah, I was half expecting that someone would say that. The damn
thing will prolly crap out next week, now that I've brought the
subject up.

When you say "torch job" what exactly do you mean? Like you could
torque it out with a reasonable propane torch? Or are we talking
oxyacetalyene here? It's tantalizingly easy to get to in this car and
I'm still harboring thoughts of replacing it before it craps out and
leaves my wife stranded.
Old September 23rd 04, 12:56 PM
Somebody

"FoggyBottom" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:26:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's a
> >torch job to get it out at this point, no question.

> Yeah, I was half expecting that someone would say that. The damn
> thing will prolly crap out next week, now that I've brought the
> subject up.
>
> When you say "torch job" what exactly do you mean? Like you could
> torque it out with a reasonable propane torch? Or are we talking
> oxyacetalyene here? It's tantalizingly easy to get to in this car and
> I'm still harboring thoughts of replacing it before it craps out and
> leaves my wife stranded.

I'm talking flames man. There is no way on earth you'll get it out
otherwise.

-Russ.

Old September 23rd 04, 02:14 PM
Fred W.

"Somebody" > wrote in message

> "FoggyBottom" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:26:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >It's a
> > >torch job to get it out at this point, no question.

> > Yeah, I was half expecting that someone would say that. The damn
> > thing will prolly crap out next week, now that I've brought the
> > subject up.
> >
> > When you say "torch job" what exactly do you mean? Like you could
> > torque it out with a reasonable propane torch? Or are we talking
> > oxyacetalyene here? It's tantalizingly easy to get to in this car and
> > I'm still harboring thoughts of replacing it before it craps out and
> > leaves my wife stranded.

> I'm talking flames man. There is no way on earth you'll get it out
> otherwise.

Nah. I'd still give it a shot. Usually, due to the heat burning off any
moisture I suppose, it never seems to get all that rusty.

Try shooting it with PB Blaster for a few days (don't drive it in between)
then using an O2 sensor socket and a good breaker bar give it a go. An
alternative to the O2 sensor socket (which has a split up the side that will
reduce the amount of torque you can apply) you could use a box wrench and a
pipe for increased leverage or just cut the wire off the sensor and go at it
with a good, deep socket. Of course after you cut the wire there's no
turning back.

If you still can't get her out, try heating the exhaust pipe with a propane
torch, getting as little heat as possible into the sensor. The idea is to
expand the female part of the fitting. You'll get it if you use good tools
and don't bugger up the flats on the sensor...

-Fred W

Old September 23rd 04, 10:05 PM
keith

"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:

>"Somebody" > wrote in message
>>
>> "FoggyBottom" > wrote in message

- snip

IIRC should it fail it wont leave the car and driver stranded.. the
worst case scenario is *really* poor fuel consumption., and probably a
reduced top speed..

it certainly wont prevent the engine starting or running, albeit
poorly.

keith
Old September 23rd 04, 11:00 PM
Rick Clark

>keith honked his horn and wrote:

> "Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

> >"Somebody" > wrote in message
> > >
> >> "FoggyBottom" > wrote in message

> - snip
>
> IIRC should it fail it wont leave the car and driver stranded.. the
> worst case scenario is really poor fuel consumption., and probably a
> reduced top speed..
>
> it certainly wont prevent the engine starting or running, albeit
> poorly.
>
> keith

The O2 sensor failed twice on my E36 325 Coupe. Still drove fine. Only
reason I knew was it failed its emissions tests.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk
Old September 24th 04, 01:20 AM
Somebody

"Rick Clark" > wrote in message
> >keith honked his horn and wrote:

> > - snip
> >
> > IIRC should it fail it wont leave the car and driver stranded.. the
> > worst case scenario is really poor fuel consumption., and probably a
> > reduced top speed..
> >
> > it certainly wont prevent the engine starting or running, albeit
> > poorly.
> >
> > keith

> The O2 sensor failed twice on my E36 325 Coupe. Still drove fine. Only
> reason I knew was it failed its emissions tests.

My E30M20 ran like crap when the O2 sensor failed, because the plugs got
fouled badly.

After replacing plugs and the sensor it was fine.

-Russ.

Old September 24th 04, 11:08 AM
Rick Clark

>Somebody honked his horn and wrote:

> "Rick Clark" > wrote in
> message ...
> > > keith honked his horn and wrote:

> > > - snip
> > >
> > > IIRC should it fail it wont leave the car and driver stranded..
> > > the worst case scenario is really poor fuel consumption., and
> > > probably a reduced top speed..
> > >
> > > it certainly wont prevent the engine starting or running, albeit
> > > poorly.
> > >
> > > keith

> > The O2 sensor failed twice on my E36 325 Coupe. Still drove fine.
> > Only reason I knew was it failed its emissions tests.

> My E30M20 ran like crap when the O2 sensor failed, because the plugs
> got fouled badly.
>
> After replacing plugs and the sensor it was fine.
>
> -Russ.

Presumably the sensor had been faulty for a long time before it started
running that bad. I wouldn't have thought the plugs would foul quickly.
I change the plugs on mine every 15K - 20K and they always looked good
as new, even after the sensor failures. Of course my sensors could've
failed just before each MOT.

The real point is that you won't get stranded if it fails.

--
Cheers

Rick

'92 E36 325 Coupe
http://bmw.aqua-maniac.co.uk

Temp Sensor - '91 Audi 100 ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 December 17th 04 10:58 PM
2.7T A6 MAF sensor Bruce W. Ellis Audi 3 December 5th 04 02:26 AM
Climatronic Diagnostic Controls Luís Lourenço Audi 1 November 12th 04 09:22 AM
94 Audi 100 S "Check ECS" light mpradeep Audi 2 June 20th 04 10:16 PM
A4 1.8T -2000 & MAF sensor J.P. Audi 0 May 20th 04 05:50 PM