2002 Passat 5-cylinder turbo clutch shot

Old June 28th 05, 11:37 PM

Default 2002 Passat 5-cylinder turbo clutch shot

I bought the car new and have driven it for 3 1/2 years. It has 34,500
miles. One a Monday morning the shifter wouldn't easily go into 1st,
2nd, and reverse. So I took to Bob Lewis VW in Fremont, CA and they
said the clutch is slipping and $1800 please. I said no because that
was a lot of money for a clutch job.

I took it on the road and in second gear, and floored it. Sure enough
the clutch did slip. I am not a hard driver and was very surprized
that the clutch wore out. The dealership says that VW reps won't talk
to me or anyone about a clutch ( I think they have seen this before).

A local shop is doing the repair for $1400, dang thats a lot of money
for a clutch job! My Toyota's have all gotten over 100K miles on their
clutches so this just burns me up.

My feet will do the walking and it won't be VW; I can't afford paying
for repairs at that price.

Old June 29th 05, 01:19 AM
Woodchuck

Who else drives the car besides you? BTW, the Passat uses a 1.8L 4cylinder
engine which has a 5valve per cylinder head.

oups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 01:22 AM
Rob Guenther

No 4 year 80000km warranty on the Passats?
oups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 12:21 PM
Woodchuck

Clutches normally are not covered unless it fails in the first
year/12,000miles. VW may/may not pick up the repair during then.

.. .

Old June 29th 05, 02:42 PM
wkearney99

> A local shop is doing the repair for $1400, dang thats a lot of money
> for a clutch job! My Toyota's have all gotten over 100K miles on their
> clutches so this just burns me up.

Well, 34k does seem awfully short for needing a clutch job. Since you're
doing it at local shop I'd be VERY concerned about them doing the "right
work" not just the "work requested". If that clutch wore out that quickly,
and it's not due to your own driving habits (some folks ride the clutch)
then I'd want to make sure to fix whatever caused it to wear so quickly.
Like a bad cylinder, throwout bearing or something leaking onto the plate.
A dealer might be more capable of discovering the real reason for it's
premature failure. But then again, a local shop might be just as competent
or more so. I'd just stress to them how much I'd really like to make sure
the cause of the failure was identified AND fixed. No sense having them do
just the clutch plate only to have the real reason wreck the new one too.

Old June 29th 05, 10:49 PM
Woodchuck

Well said, the VW clutch kit includes pressure plate, disc, and flywheel on
dual mass clutch units. With 170hp it better be quality parts. But then
again maybe the non-VW shop just ran down the dealer and purchased all the
parts.

Old June 30th 05, 02:39 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

I just replaced the clutch kit in a 2001 GTI with only 46K miles on the
original. Slipping was there.
I could not tell that anything was wrong with the original except that maybe
the pressure plate lost pressure. Disc had a sufficient amount of material
on it, no oil noted on the surfaces and the owner has been driving sticks
for decades.

The new Sachs kit seemed a little too soft/weak for me but it definitely
holds.

JMHO
later,
dave