90 XJ ABS nightmare (long)

Old May 14th 05, 03:35 PM
Dana Rohleder

Default 90 XJ ABS nightmare (long)

For those of you that have run this race before, can you offer any help?

I bought a 90 XJ pretty cheap knowing there was a problem with the ABS
system. Since the vehicle's ABS system still has an active safety recall on
it, I felt I had to take it to the dealership for service. However, because
a fault code points to my controller - $1100 for the part. They say they
need to replace the controller BEFORE they can get into the recall portion
of the repair. The car has 140K on it, so I am over the extended warranty on
the ENTIRE ABS system, but I should be covered on the "lifetime" coverage on
the recall for the actuator assy and the pump/motor assy.

I also had the dealer run up an estimate on converting the vehicle to a
non-ABS power brake system, as had been recommended by others on the list.
Their estimate was $1300 parts/labor.

My questions follow:

1. What is the reliability of the ABS system AFTER the necessary repairs are
done?
2. Is it possible that a malfunctioning actuator/pump/motor components could
have fried the controller, and if so, should/would D-C pay for the
controller as well?
3. If their ABS system on these vehicles is so bad, shouldn't they be
converting all of the malfunctioning systems to non-ABS and paying for that
repair?
4. Is the dealer trying to scare me away from the ABS recall claim by making
me pay for the controller up front - leaving me the option of paying for the
downgrade out-of-pocket - so that D-C doesn't have to pay a cent for the
recall work?
5. Does anyone have a number for a contact at D-C who could help clarify and
sort this situation out?
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

93 YJ, 90 XJ, (76, 82 & 91 FSJ -deceased)

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

Old May 14th 05, 04:25 PM
Jerry Bransford

Grab a can of WD-40 and a rag and go clean off all four ABS sensors
mounted on the four wheels. My ABS gave me a code years ago and my
brakes started acting funny and all it turned out to be was a bunch of
dried on gunk on one of the sensors. It's worth a shot, that is for
sure. Clear the ABS code afterwards by disconnecting the battery for
2-3 minutes, then drive it to see if that fixed the problem. Sometimes a
simple fix takes care of a difficult problem. And no, the WD-40 wil not
harm the sensor or any other electrical component for that matter.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 14th 05, 04:34 PM
Mike Romain

My local $tealer tried to soak me for a mess of unneeded stuff rather
than do the recall first. I got my money back on all the labor when I
went to the service manager and raised ****. I guess the fact I caught
them charging taxes on stuff that is tax free might have helped my case,
but....

I would insist on the recall period. Then if it doesn't work, they can
change other parts or you can just pull the relays and do without the
ABS anyway.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 14th 05, 09:28 PM
Dana Rohleder

Mike,

I already tried that. Unfortunately, pulling the relays on this system
disabled the power assist, since it runs from the pump, not vacuum.

Do you recall which unneeded parts they soaked you for?
--
Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

Old May 14th 05, 10:01 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticl...ll_OEM_ABS.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 14th 05, 10:02 PM
Mike Romain

It was a different recall, I typed that sort of strange.

Mike

Old June 20th 05, 12:43 AM
Dana Rohleder

The ABS fiasco cost me $2000 out of pocket for repairs/diagnostics to date,
not including the actuator that was covered under warranty. It still pulls
severely to the right, but the ABS fault lights are no longer working. They
wanted to replace both my front calipers and hoses for another $500, but I
put a stop to it. I asked them if they would guarantee that it would stop
the pulling and they looked at me like a golden goose that just stopped
laying eggs. I took the car back and may do the job myself for 1/2 of the
cost - they have got their last dime out of me.
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ
90 Jeep XJ Ltd.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old June 23rd 05, 01:53 AM
tim bur

the reason the abs causes the vehicle to dive is the airgap for the wheel
sensors is to great and this causes the abs unit to act accordingly even rust
built up on the tone wheel can cause this

Old June 23rd 05, 12:55 PM
Dana Rohleder

That was my thought too, but the tech said that if that were the case I'd be
getting a fault light. I asked them 3 times to check the gaps, or even see
if the passenger's front wasn't working at all, but they never gave me the
satisfaction. The gaps I can check myself, but is there an easy way of
cleaning the rust off of the tonewheels without removing them?
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ
90 Jeep XJ Ltd.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old June 23rd 05, 10:35 PM
DougW

Dana Rohleder did pass the time by typing:
> That was my thought too, but the tech said that if that were the case I'd be
> getting a fault light. I asked them 3 times to check the gaps, or even see
> if the passenger's front wasn't working at all, but they never gave me the
> satisfaction. The gaps I can check myself, but is there an easy way of
> cleaning the rust off of the tonewheels without removing them?

A little rust on the tone wheels won't hurt anything. What will cause problems
is buildup of metal filings from the brakes on the sensors face. Just use a piece
of cloth and with the wheel off slowly turn the hub to drag it past the tone ring.

Then go and clean the connector to your ABS computer. (both the pin and the
wire side) 99% of all ABS faults are caused by that connector getting
contaminated by road salt/grime/dust and it doesn't take much to cause problems.
This problem usually manifests itself as the ABS light coming on when you go over
railroad crossings or potholes.

Use a spray contact cleaner that's safe for plastic, not WD-40! Then apply a good
layer of silicone dielectric grease (sparkplug grease) to both sides and pop it back
on.

Having one sensor out of cal by just a smidge (less than it takes to set a fault code)
will cause the ABS to apply just as you come to a normal stop.

--
DougW