Careless Driving in NJ

Old March 18th 05, 05:09 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

s wrote:
>. I
> don't argue and i say a 'yeah!' though i was really not sure if i was
> speeding at all, may be on a 50 MPH speed limit road i was driving at
> 60 or so.

HAHA. Oh yeah - that's not speeding. What an idiot.

Old March 19th 05, 01:07 AM
Big Bill

On 18 Mar 2005 08:03:33 -0800, "s" > wrote:

>Big Bill wrote:

>definitely
>> >may

>so.

>> >hi all,
>> >any further advices for me.
>> >for now i am just going to the court and saying that i wasn't

>driving
>> >carelessly!??

>> And the cop says you were.
>> Hmmm...
>> Who will the judge believe?
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> Change "g" to "a"

>thank you all so much..
>as per what i read on one of the groups, NJ DMV regulations do not post
>any additional insurance surcharge until 6 points... so i might be
>safe... don't want to call up insurance and find out.. guess they
>become cynical..
>bill, u r right what if the cop remembers.. then i don't know.. may be
>i will end up paying the fine... but the whole point is... say if he
>remembers it and if he says it also... then it looks wrong on his part
>to give someone a careless driving ticket when he should have given a
>speeding ticket..?? shouldn't the judge question him in that case?

No, the judge presides, he doesn't ask that sort of question.
It's up to you.
Maybe, if you're really concerned, you should ask a lawyer. Many will
give free short consultations.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...

>Hi,
>15 days back I got a careless driving ticket. I am pleading not guilty.
>however I am not sure how i should be representing my case?
>How it happened:
>I was driving to work on a saturday morning, when i see a cop car
>following me, the lights start to blink and i am asked to pull down. I
>do so. The cop asks me if i am fine and i tell him i am heading to
>work. He says i am speeding and i should maintain the speed limit. I
>don't argue and i say a 'yeah!' though i was really not sure if i was
>speeding at all, may be on a 50 MPH speed limit road i was driving at
>60 or so. Anyways, i said nothing. he asked me for the paper work and
>came back with a 'careless driving' ticket. He explicitly announced
>that he is giving me a 'careless driving' ticket and not a 'speeding
>ticket'. to that i said 'ok' and drove to work.
>later, i realised that atleast i should have asked him that why did he
>give me a careless driving ticket instead.
>Thats pretty much, I know i was not driving carelessly, it was a clear
>road, clear weather, my ticket also says the same. the speeding is not
>mentioned on the ticket as well.
>
>what do you people think, how should i represent this case in the
>court. I have a fine on $87 and 2 points.
>will appreciate any suggestions on this.
>Thanks in advance.

Do a little research. Find out what the fine for speeding 10 over the limit
would have been. Then check the points that go with it. It could be he was
giving you a break. Maybe not.
---------------
Alex

Old March 23rd 05, 07:10 PM

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
> >

> >Hi,
> >15 days back I got a careless driving ticket. I am pleading not

guilty.
> >however I am not sure how i should be representing my case?
> >How it happened:
> >I was driving to work on a saturday morning, when i see a cop car
> >following me, the lights start to blink and i am asked to pull down.

> >do so. The cop asks me if i am fine and i tell him i am heading to
> >work. He says i am speeding and i should maintain the speed limit. I
> >don't argue and i say a 'yeah!' though i was really not sure if i

was
> >speeding at all, may be on a 50 MPH speed limit road i was driving

at
> >60 or so. Anyways, i said nothing. he asked me for the paper work

and
> >came back with a 'careless driving' ticket. He explicitly announced
> >that he is giving me a 'careless driving' ticket and not a 'speeding
> >ticket'. to that i said 'ok' and drove to work.
> >later, i realised that atleast i should have asked him that why did

he
> >give me a careless driving ticket instead.
> >Thats pretty much, I know i was not driving carelessly, it was a

clear
> >road, clear weather, my ticket also says the same. the speeding is

not
> >mentioned on the ticket as well.
> >
> >what do you people think, how should i represent this case in the
> >court. I have a fine on $87 and 2 points.
> >will appreciate any suggestions on this.
> >Thanks in advance.

> Do a little research. Find out what the fine for speeding 10 over

the limit
> would have been. Then check the points that go with it. It could be

he was
> giving you a break. Maybe not.
> ---------------
> Alex

thanks but i had the hearing today.
i ended up paying a fine a of $423 and i am sad and i feel it was not
fair.
anyways!!

Old March 24th 05, 08:06 AM
Arif Khokar

s wrote:

> i ended up paying a fine a of $423

That's fairly steep even if you were going 20 mph over the limit. Were
you driving in a construction zone or near a school at the time?
Old March 24th 05, 02:03 PM
Big Bill

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:06:13 GMT, Arif Khokar >
wrote:

>s wrote:
>
>> i ended up paying a fine a of $423

>That's fairly steep even if you were going 20 mph over the limit. Were
>you driving in a construction zone or near a school at the time?

Different cities have different agendas for speeding (& other
particular driving offences).
In Glendale, AZ, a few years ago, 20 over got you an immediate trip to
jail, and a very stiff fine (over $500). They were trying to cut
speeding on some major streets where there was a serious problem with
crashes.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 24th 05, 08:57 PM

Old March 26th 05, 12:10 AM

s wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > says...
> > >

> > >Hi,
> > >15 days back I got a careless driving ticket. I am pleading not

> guilty.
> > >however I am not sure how i should be representing my case?
> > >How it happened:
> > >I was driving to work on a saturday morning, when i see a cop car
> > >following me, the lights start to blink and i am asked to pull

down.
> > >do so. The cop asks me if i am fine and i tell him i am heading to
> > >work. He says i am speeding and i should maintain the speed limit.

> > >don't argue and i say a 'yeah!' though i was really not sure if i

> was
> > >speeding at all, may be on a 50 MPH speed limit road i was driving

> at
> > >60 or so. Anyways, i said nothing. he asked me for the paper work

> and
> > >came back with a 'careless driving' ticket. He explicitly

announced
> > >that he is giving me a 'careless driving' ticket and not a

'speeding
> > >ticket'. to that i said 'ok' and drove to work.
> > >later, i realised that atleast i should have asked him that why

did
> he
> > >give me a careless driving ticket instead.
> > >Thats pretty much, I know i was not driving carelessly, it was a

> clear
> > >road, clear weather, my ticket also says the same. the speeding is

> not
> > >mentioned on the ticket as well.
> > >
> > >what do you people think, how should i represent this case in the
> > >court. I have a fine on $87 and 2 points.
> > >will appreciate any suggestions on this.
> > >Thanks in advance.

> > Do a little research. Find out what the fine for speeding 10 over

> the limit
> > would have been. Then check the points that go with it. It could

be
> he was
> > giving you a break. Maybe not.
> > ---------------
> > Alex

> thanks but i had the hearing today.
> i ended up paying a fine a of $423 and i am sad and i feel it was not
> fair.
> anyways!!

Did you get any points or charges besides paying that $$$??? I got a
similar charge for an accident which I will need to go court
soon...appreciate your feedback..

Old March 27th 05, 09:08 PM

> s wrote:
> > Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> > > In article

.com>,

says...

> > guilty.

car

> down.

limit.

> > was

driving
> > at

work
> > and

> announced

> 'speeding

> did
> > he

> > clear

is
> > not

the

> > > Do a little research. Find out what the fine for speeding 10

over
> > the limit
> > > would have been. Then check the points that go with it. It

could
> be
> > he was
> > > giving you a break. Maybe not.
> > > ---------------
> > > Alex

> > thanks but i had the hearing today.
> > i ended up paying a fine a of $423 and i am sad and i feel it was

not
> > fair.
> > anyways!!

> Did you get any points or charges besides paying that $$$??? I got a
> similar charge for an accident which I will need to go court
> soon...appreciate your feedback..

my points were dropped...
if u are in NJ... its goes like this...
you will see the prosecutor first... he/she will ask.. what you want to
do.. you can say that you don't want those points.. so in my case...
she reduced 2 points to 0... for those who had 4 she made 2... then the
prosecutor will ask you to ok to the court and wait... it'll be in
front of the judge now were you can plead guilty or not guilty.. if u
plead guilty... the judge will tell your fine charges.. if you plead
not guilty then you will have prove it... i paid the fine.. so can't
say about the later.
hope this helps.
all the best.