Parking ticket

Old February 18th 05, 12:55 AM
David Chesler

Scott writes:
> There's a reason why backing into parking
> spaces is prohibited: the authorities know that
> most people can't back up worth a damn, and
> if they try they will just end up hitting the cars
> parked next to them.

I've been backing into perpendicular and angle
parking spaces most of my driving life. I've never
understood why people think it's safer or easier to back into moving
traffic than to back into an empty parking space. Could someone
explain that please?

ObLegal: If the street is "one way", is it legal to drive in reverse
if the car is pointed in the legal direction? How far? One car length
into a parking spot? Two car lengths because the car exiting the
parking spot got out behind you? The length of the block?

--
- David Chesler >
Iacta alea est

Old February 18th 05, 12:55 AM

Paul wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > I got a parking ticket, for, of all things, backing into a parking

> spot
> > in public metered parking (Michigan). It's a small fine, but it

> seems
> > like such a rediculous offense. The model year of my car is listed
> > incorrectly; could I get out of it for this reason?

In Michigan, there is just one license plate on the back of the car
(none on the front). I believe that the requirement to not back into a
parking spot has to do with the visibility of the plate. Imagine that
if the parking space was next to a wall and a car backed up all the
way, it would be impossible to read the plate number.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
Nate Nagel

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Dick Adams wrote:
>

>>Do I understand you correctly: You received a citation for backing into
>>a parking spot instead pulling in head first? This sounds like a local
>>ordinance. I'd call and ask why cars must be parked head first. There
>>needs to be a reason.

> The only reason necessary to make the ticket stick is "Because that's the
> law."
>
> Of course, a legal challenge to get the law struck down would require
> there to be a reason that the authorities consider valid (or perhaps
> "plausible enough to fly"). But that's not the same question.

There are some good reasons for some parking regulations - f'rinstance
in one area of DC (Adams Morgan I think?) they have angle parking on one
street, but one is required to *back* in - which makes sense when you go
to leave and realize that everyone else had the same idea at the same
time, imagine the chaos if everyone parked head-in...

now I've never understood the requirement for head-in parking in some
lots but probably there's a reason for it...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Old February 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
Christopher C. Stacy

"David Chesler" > writes:
> ObLegal: If the street is "one way", is it legal to drive in reverse
> if the car is pointed in the legal direction? How far? One car length
> into a parking spot? Two car lengths because the car exiting the
> parking spot got out behind you? The length of the block?

I haven't tested it in court, but I believe it's not legal
to drive in reverse the wrong way down a one-way street.
If you are parallel parking, you are not traveling.
As to how far you can go: probably just one car length.
Backing down the street a couple of car lengths to go back
and get that spot that you already passed by is not legal.

Old February 24th 05, 06:14 PM

>Why are they reading plates in a parking lot?

How about this? I filed a ch 7 bankruptcy proceeding in which 350.00 in
NYC parking tickets were listed as well as 3 florida parking tickets.
My lawyer said it was ok to list them as creditors as both
municipalities hired a collection agency to come after the cash. THe
debts were discharged in sept of 04. I haven't heard from the Florida
city since but NYC stilll sends me demands for payment. WHat's up with
that?

Old February 24th 05, 06:14 PM

Why are they reading plates in a parking lot?

In order to issue a parking ticket, it would seem to be necessary to
read the license plate. If the car has only a plate on the back of the
car (as they do in Michigan), and is backed into the space, there is a
possibility that the numbers on the plate may not be seen easily. At
least that's the explanation I have heard for the Michigan city that I
live in.