The PCH: Serpentine Devourer Of Celebrity Drunkards

Old August 6th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
JXStern

Default The PCH: Serpentine Devourer Of Celebrity Drunkards

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:47:26 +0000, off the wagon
> wrote:
>Filled with blind spots and hairpin curves wrapped around some of the
>most beautifully distracting scenery in the country, the PCH has been
>called an accident waiting to happen.

There are no blind spots or hairpin turns within fifty miles of where
Gibson had his fun, the bad stuff is way north of Santa Barbara around
Hearst Castle, anything at all challenging is past Zuma, about ten
miles north.

And it's not "the PCH", it's just PCH.

Now, some of the roads that leave PCH and go up into the hills are
twisty passages, all different, but that's another story.

J.

Old August 6th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
F. H.

JXStern wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:47:26 +0000, off the wagon
> > wrote:
>> Filled with blind spots and hairpin curves wrapped around some of the
>> most beautifully distracting scenery in the country, the PCH has been
>> called an accident waiting to happen.

> There are no blind spots or hairpin turns within fifty miles of where
> Gibson had his fun, the bad stuff is way north of Santa Barbara around
> Hearst Castle, anything at all challenging is past Zuma, about ten
> miles north.
>
> And it's not "the PCH", it's just PCH.
>
> Now, some of the roads that leave PCH and go up into the hills are
> twisty passages, all different, but that's another story.
>
> J.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Old August 6th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
LKU

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 02:23:51 GMT, JXStern >
wrote:

>Now, some of the roads that leave PCH and go up into the hills are
>twisty passages, all different, but that's another story.

Plugh.
Old August 6th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
[email protected]

I drove PCH from south of Newport Beach all the way up to just past
Malibu, and it's pretty straight all the way up, there are some gradual
curves around the Malibu area, but nothing I'd call "murderous" or
"twisty".

Old August 6th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
karl

"JXStern" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:47:26 +0000, off the wagon
> > wrote:
>>Filled with blind spots and hairpin curves wrapped around some of the
>>most beautifully distracting scenery in the country, the PCH has been
>>called an accident waiting to happen.

> There are no blind spots or hairpin turns within fifty miles of where
> Gibson had his fun, the bad stuff is way north of Santa Barbara around
> Hearst Castle, anything at all challenging is past Zuma, about ten
> miles north.
>
> And it's not "the PCH", it's just PCH.

Given that the OP did not capitalize 'the', he is correct and you are not.
If the proper name is Pacific Coast Highway rather than The Pacific Coast
Highway then his usage is correct.

/pendantry mode = off/

Old August 8th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.gossip.celebrities,rec.arts.tv,alt.recovery.aa,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
JXStern

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 12:25:34 -0400, "karl" >
wrote:
>>>Filled with blind spots and hairpin curves wrapped around some of the
>>>most beautifully distracting scenery in the country, the PCH has been
>>>called an accident waiting to happen.

>> There are no blind spots or hairpin turns within fifty miles of where
>> Gibson had his fun, the bad stuff is way north of Santa Barbara around
>> Hearst Castle, anything at all challenging is past Zuma, about ten
>> miles north.
>>
>> And it's not "the PCH", it's just PCH.

> Given that the OP did not capitalize 'the', he is correct and you are not.
>If the proper name is Pacific Coast Highway rather than The Pacific Coast
>Highway then his usage is correct.
>
>/pendantry mode = off/

The common usage omits the "the", the "proper" usage is not the common
usage. Maybe some pedantic editor "corrected" good reporting by
inserting the "the", but it reads poorly to anyone who knows Los
Angeles. Then again, there's "The OC", which no native ever said
until some creative type coined the phrase, but now is occassionally
heard, so, y'know, whatever.

J.

Old August 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
Justin[_1_]

8-Aug-2006 JXStern wrote:

> >> There are no blind spots or hairpin turns within fifty miles of where
> >> Gibson had his fun, the bad stuff is way north of Santa Barbara around
> >> Hearst Castle, anything at all challenging is past Zuma, about ten
> >> miles north.
> >>
> >> And it's not "the PCH", it's just PCH.

> > Given that the OP did not capitalize 'the', he is correct and you are not.
> >If the proper name is Pacific Coast Highway rather than The Pacific Coast
> >Highway then his usage is correct.
> >
> >/pendantry mode = off/

> The common usage omits the "the", the "proper" usage is not the common
> usage. Maybe some pedantic editor "corrected" good reporting by
> inserting the "the", but it reads poorly to anyone who knows Los
> Angeles. Then again, there's "The OC", which no native ever said
> until some creative type coined the phrase, but now is occassionally
> heard, so, y'know, whatever.

I think you need to get together with my ex. What an insufferable
****ing snob she is...

"Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
or don't talk about it at all."

--
Justin Thralled w/ Snootiness
Old August 8th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.recovery.aa,rec.arts.tv,rec.autos.driving,rec.sport.pro-wrestling
TaraG

"Justin" > wrote in message
> 8-Aug-2006 JXStern wrote:

>> > Given that the OP did not capitalize 'the', he is correct and you are
>> > not.
>> >If the proper name is Pacific Coast Highway rather than The Pacific
>> >Coast
>> >Highway then his usage is correct.
>> >
>> >/pendantry mode = off/

>> The common usage omits the "the", the "proper" usage is not the common
>> usage. Maybe some pedantic editor "corrected" good reporting by
>> inserting the "the", but it reads poorly to anyone who knows Los
>> Angeles. Then again, there's "The OC", which no native ever said
>> until some creative type coined the phrase, but now is occassionally
>> heard, so, y'know, whatever.
>>

> I think you need to get together with my ex. What an insufferable
> ****ing snob she is...
>
> "Only hicks from Iowa use Frisco, dahling! Either call it *The City*
> or don't talk about it at all."

I'm torn. My first reaction was to ask if you hit her with a brick. But
then, you being the guy, you can't really answer "yup". So....

Didja kick her in the shin after that one?

Tara