How does 4x4 really work

Old January 9th 05, 06:27 AM
Patrick

Default How does 4x4 really work

Last night got a bit stuck in a big snow bank, Selectrac I6 4x4, i was on
full time

The rear right (passenger) wheels was spinning and it feel it was the only
wheel really trying to get out, i know the 4x4 is working (Light on and
feeling while doing u-turn ) but why i did not see the front wheel spinning
while the gc was on Reverse , I was outside with the truck engage looking at
the truck spinning. !!!!!

I tried part time and no much luck. Got out of there with time and patience
REVERSE,DRIVE,REV... Is AWD subaru vehicules working the same ?

thanks

Pat

Old January 9th 05, 06:29 AM
Patrick

please no reply like this LOL

1.. Find a passenger-helper.
2.. If you have manual hubs, lock 'em.
3.. Get into some real wet slippery mud.
4.. Engage 4 wheel drive.
5.. Stop the Jeep (in the mud).
6.. Turn the steering wheel all the way right.
7.. Stick your head out the driver's side window.
8.. Look directly at your front wheel.
9.. Floor the accelerator, only for a sceond or two.
10.. Pull your head back in and look at the passenger-helper.
11.. If the passenger-helper is laughing, your 4 wheel drive is likely
engaging.

Old January 9th 05, 06:34 AM
RocknCJ

Next time try applying the parking brake a bit. This should help kick in the
limited slip (left/right).

As far as the select trac (front/rear) I am not sure how those transfer
cases work. I am imagine the parking brake might also help that too.
My son never had a problem like that in his '94 Grand 5.2l, I am not sure if
it is the same transfer case.

--James

Old January 9th 05, 07:19 AM
Patrick

Ok i see with the rear wheel not spinning free anymore the other wheel will
lock.
is that it ? Interesting i can't wait to have other reply.

Thanks

Pat
7o3Ed.79359$QR1.76872@fed1read04...

Old January 9th 05, 07:23 AM
Jerry Bransford

Here's a brief writeup on a similarly common question I did sometime
back, it may be helpful. Click on
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125923

Jerry

Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
See the Geezer Jeep at
http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/

Old January 9th 05, 07:47 AM
Patrick

Thanks that was helpfull.

pat

r54Ed.23292$232.5389@fed1read05...

Old January 9th 05, 08:13 AM
Richard

this is curious...'(quote the posted article)'...

"Finally, a full-time 4x4 system like comes on most Grand Cherokees and some
Cherokees and Liberties 'couples' the front and rear axles together, but
they are not mechanically locked together like a part-time 4wd system does.
The coupling can be done via either a differential (just like what is
between the left and right tires) or a fluid (viscous) coupler. The benefit
to a full-time 4wd system is that because the front and rear axles are not
mechanically locked together, the front and rear tires/axles can rotate at
different rpms from each other. This allows a vehicle with a full-time 4wd
system to drive in 4wd "full time" on a paved road without problem since
there is no 'wind-up' problem to harm the drivetrain."...

I was driving in some fresh snow today, packed/loose mixed... and as usual,
I used my "Full Time" 4WD, but I (unusually) was slipping a bit on a very
steep hill and sharp corners and tried "Part Time" and it seemed to work
better. So what gives? I thought "Full Time" was supposed to be better. (I
would never use the "Part Time" on dry pavement)

?

Old January 9th 05, 08:29 AM
Jerry Bransford

Part-time 4x4 is a more aggressive system that works better when the
road conditions get really nasty. No matter what, a part-time system
will make sure both your front and rear axles are turning. A full-time
system will not always be able to do that due to how the transfer case
doesn't truly lock the front and rear axles together... they are only
loosely coupled together via a system that may let one end slip and spin
while providing little power to the other end... much like the problem
when one side is spinning and the other side isn't getting enough power
to keep you going.

A part-time system is like having a locker between the front and rear
axles, kind of what a locker inside the axle does for the left and right
tires.

Jerry

Old January 9th 05, 05:37 PM
Mike Romain

I believe the big difference is with the full time on, any 'one' of 4
tires can be the main drive wheel, so when stopped and not using the
brakes to vary the load, only one tire can be merrily spinning away.

If you put it into 'part time', the front and rear axles are locked so
when stopped on ice at least 'two' wheels are spinning merrily away.

When this happens, you can hit the brake pedal and with some practice
get both rear wheels spinning and sometimes even all 4 will break loose.

Torque goes to 'both' tires on one differential equally, so the one tire
spinning loose has very little torque on it so the other side sits
still. Hit the brakes or my owners manuals say you can use the
emergency brake and you apply braking torque to the spinning wheel.
This can get strong enough to match the traction of the stopped wheel so
that the wheel on the other side will break loose and spin too.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 10th 05, 12:45 AM
Patrick

So a AWD Subaru would be better for every day driving in the snow ( city
driving )
but very limited off-road ? Is that correct ? i have heard good thing about
Subaru AWD latest generation.

Best Home Base Work Reynard 4x4 0 November 10th 04 03:27 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Chrysler 0 November 10th 04 01:51 AM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Antique cars 0 November 9th 04 05:36 PM