Now that's a speed limit!

Old November 11th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

Default Now that's a speed limit!

Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
is to continue for 4 years.

Harry K

Old November 11th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel

Harry K wrote:
> Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
> stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
> is to continue for 4 years.
>
> Harry K

Well, there is lots of wide open space in Australia so that makes sense.
I find this surprising as a lot of the "speed kills" pseudo-literature
that I've seen recently actually comes from Oz not the US. Surprising,
but not in a bad way.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old November 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_]

On 10 Nov 2006 23:20:24 -0800, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
>stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
>is to continue for 4 years.
>
>Harry K

Just insane. And what about the people who want to use the road but
don't want to be killed and maimed by the psychos doing 100 mph.?

The govt officials have obviously been bought off by the automobile
industry. The auto industry loves car crashes esp high speed ones
cause that means the cars are totaled and have to be replaced.

Old November 11th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sir Ray

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Well, there is lots of wide open space in Australia so that makes sense.
> I find this surprising as a lot of the "speed kills" pseudo-literature
> that I've seen recently actually comes from Oz not the US. Surprising,
> but not in a bad way.

Heh, I had noticed the same thing - apparently the US passed it's
idiotic 'Speed Kills' torch onto Britian sometime in the 1990s, and
Britian then passed it on to Oz in 2000 (I guess for the Millenium
celebrations).
Oz went crazy for a while, and I think even came up with a traffic
light with both RLC and Photoradar, so you'd get ticketed for failing
to stop or for trying to beat the light - hopefully somebody took a
shotgun to that mess fast...
I've read somewhere that Aussies have an image of rugged individualism,
but act like sheep driving on freeways with very underposted speed
limits with just a whimper (this may have been in the British magazine
"Car", I'm not sure). However, apparently there was recently some
revolt over a new downtown tunnel with a very expensive toll and some
shady dealing with the city government trying to block other roads to
force motorists to use this route - not sure what happened.
And, of course, it took me way too long to realize this thread's title
was a take-off of Crocodile Dundee...

Old November 11th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Sir Ray said in
rec.autos.driving:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
> > Well, there is lots of wide open space in Australia so that makes sense.
> > I find this surprising as a lot of the "speed kills" pseudo-literature
> > that I've seen recently actually comes from Oz not the US. Surprising,
> > but not in a bad way.

> Heh, I had noticed the same thing - apparently the US passed it's
> idiotic 'Speed Kills' torch onto Britian sometime in the 1990s, and
> Britian then passed it on to Oz in 2000 (I guess for the Millenium
> celebrations).

A most unfortunate export of the USA. Please accept my appologies.

> Oz went crazy for a while, and I think even came up with a traffic
> light with both RLC and Photoradar, so you'd get ticketed for failing
> to stop or for trying to beat the light - hopefully somebody took a
> shotgun to that mess fast...

Are the sheep still allowed to own guns in OZ? I seem to remember that
some rather strict gun control laws were passed a few years back (with a
corresponding sykrocket in crime).

> I've read somewhere that Aussies have an image of rugged individualism,
> but act like sheep driving on freeways with very underposted speed
> limits with just a whimper (this may have been in the British magazine
> "Car", I'm not sure). However, apparently there was recently some
> revolt over a new downtown tunnel with a very expensive toll and some
> shady dealing with the city government trying to block other roads to
> force motorists to use this route - not sure what happened.

Sounds a lot like what is going on here with the Trans Texas Corridor
(or what ever the deconstructors of the USA are calling it).

> And, of course, it took me way too long to realize this thread's title
> was a take-off of Crocodile Dundee...

<grin>

--
"You can't legislate away people's right to be assholes!"
--Wesley Snipes as Simon Phoenix
Old November 11th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Speeders & Drunk
Drivers are MURDERERS fantasized about ****ing a 6 year old and spewed
this in rec.autos.driving:

> Just insane. And what about the people who want to use the road for
> their own power trips, but can't keep up with the fine upstanding
> citizens doing 100 mph.?

If you can't keep up with the big dogs, then stay on the porch. (IOW:
get off the road, you killer).

> The govt officials have obviously been listening to the citizens
> instead of stark raving mad losers like me.

Fixed those headers.

"I'm all for making the SUV owners park in the rear of the lot. It
should be handled like handicapped parking. A special sticker on the
plate designating this vehicle as a highway tank that must be parked in
the tank area."

--Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 10/23/05
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/dnox5 http://tinyurl.com/c92qg
Message .com
Old November 12th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Eeyore

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2006 23:20:24 -0800, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
> >Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
> >stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
> >is to continue for 4 years.
> >
> >Harry K

> Just insane. And what about the people who want to use the road but
> don't want to be killed and maimed by the psychos doing 100 mph.?
>
> The govt officials have obviously been bought off by the automobile
> industry. The auto industry loves car crashes esp high speed ones
> cause that means the cars are totaled and have to be replaced.

I hope you get run over by a road train.

Graham

Old November 12th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Eeyore said in
rec.autos.driving:
> I hope you get run over by a road train.

Now, Graham, that's not nice. What did the road train do to make you so
mad at it?

--
"My tars have been bald for two years.
Every month i glue some sandpaper to them and

--Laura Buch murdered her boyfriend
/ laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE 10/25/05

Message ID:
http://tinyurl.com/7p7xq
Old November 12th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
AusWendy

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
message ...
> On 10 Nov 2006 23:20:24 -0800, "Harry K" >
> wrote:
>
>>Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
>>stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
>>is to continue for 4 years.
>>
>>Harry K

That's funny I live in Australia and have heard absolutely nothing about
this. Also I find it hard to believe that the limit would be raised to 160
kph as it is currently 110 kph.

We have national drink driving limits of 0.05 and national seat belt laws
which impose heavy penalties for breaches. I really can't believe that the
speed limit would be being raised, and raised so high. Do you have a
reference??????

Aus Wendy

Old November 12th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Harry K

AusWendy wrote:
> "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
> message ...
> > On 10 Nov 2006 23:20:24 -0800, "Harry K" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Just heard on the late news: Australia is raising the limit on some
> >>stretches of highways to 160kph (100 mph). Being done as a test and it
> >>is to continue for 4 years.
> >>
> >>Harry K

> That's funny I live in Australia and have heard absolutely nothing about
> this. Also I find it hard to believe that the limit would be raised to 160
> kph as it is currently 110 kph.
>
> We have national drink driving limits of 0.05 and national seat belt laws
> which impose heavy penalties for breaches. I really can't believe that the
> speed limit would be being raised, and raised so high. Do you have a
> reference??????
>
> Aus Wendy

Just the report I heard on the TV. Have seen nothing in any other
media. It sounded like it was only on a very few stretches but none
were mentioned specifically.

Harry K