Audi A3 1999 1.8 20v (AGN engine code): ECU problems

Old August 11th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
[email protected]

Default Audi A3 1999 1.8 20v (AGN engine code): ECU problems

Car was running fine up to when it went into local Audi dealer for a
routine service + recoding some spare transponder keys. Dealer reported
that faults with engine management system were showing which would
require more diagnostic time to trace. But car was virtually undrivable
upon return from dealer and rapidly became almost totally undrivable -
erratic running, almost no engine power intermittently etc.

So car recovered to dealers who after much diagnostics have advised
that it needs a replacement ECU - needless to say at a very steep
estimated price, but I now really have no choice but to get it fitted
so that the car will run properly again.

Suppose the fault and the servicing could just have coincided and
suppose nothing is provable either way, but I'm just posting this in
case this is a known / common fault on this model or if anyone can
offer any further observations / explanations.

David
Cumbria, UK

Old August 11th 06, 05:33 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Lez Pawl

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Car was running fine up to when it went into local Audi dealer for a
> routine service + recoding some spare transponder keys. Dealer reported
> that faults with engine management system were showing which would
> require more diagnostic time to trace. But car was virtually undrivable
> upon return from dealer and rapidly became almost totally undrivable -
> erratic running, almost no engine power intermittently etc.
>
> So car recovered to dealers who after much diagnostics have advised
> that it needs a replacement ECU - needless to say at a very steep
> estimated price, but I now really have no choice but to get it fitted
> so that the car will run properly again.
>
> Suppose the fault and the servicing could just have coincided and
> suppose nothing is provable either way, but I'm just posting this in
> case this is a known / common fault on this model or if anyone can
> offer any further observations / explanations.
>
> David
> Cumbria, UK

they are pulling your pee'er and sorry to say but this sounds like a typical
dealership con

if its not too late, remove the + battery connection to reset the ECU to
default and give it a run. It may take a few miles to settle out.

failing that remove the ecu yourself and send it to the ECU Doctor,
http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/, for analysis/repair. He is much cheaper
and does an excellent job, plus you get to keep the original box of bits.

this could all be pointless if they have already ordered a replacement,
though you could ask them to stop before they fit it.

dj