Buying a car out of state

Old November 26th 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Buying a car out of state

If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?

Thanks,

John
Old November 26th 05, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

It depends on the state tax laws. In many states you would have to pay before registering because the tax is a "sales and use" tax.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old November 26th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

John Shepardson wrote:

> If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
> tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Most states have reciprical tax agreements.
Usually you will pay sales tax once and registration fee once.
They are not the same.
Old November 26th 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Well, I live in CA, so I am sure that the state will screw me in every
way possible.

John
Old November 26th 05, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"John Shepardson" > wrote in message
> If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
> tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

usually states have reciprocacy agreements

I just recently bought a car in Texas, and drove it to where I live

no sales tax on cars under $2,500 in value

$5.00 for title, $2.50 for license transfer... 1.00 handling fee....

renew plate January 2006..... $25.00

Kalifornia is probably much higher

Old November 26th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"John Shepardson" > wrote in message
> If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
> tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Normally, when buying an out of state car, you will pay tax to the state
you buy it from. When you go to register the vehicle, and the state you
are registering it in has the same percent rate, then you ned not pay any
more tax....if the state you are registering it in has a higher rate, then
you pay the difference between the two states. I would like to think when
you are buying the car out of state, you also tell the sealer you are buying
from that you are registering it in a different state. Usually they will
charge the rate that the state you are registering it in will charge. This
is what happened to us when we bought a car in New York. They gave us temp
plates (new york) until the regular plates (Ct) came in, and also charged us
the Ct sales tax. IN the end, the dealer will owe Ct the sales tax he
collected from us.

Fwed

Old November 27th 05, 12:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"fweddybear" > wrote in message

> "John Shepardson" > wrote in message
> > If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
> > tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > John

> Normally, when buying an out of state car, you will pay tax to the

state
> you buy it from. When you go to register the vehicle, and the state you
> are registering it in has the same percent rate, then you ned not pay any
> more tax....if the state you are registering it in has a higher rate, then
> you pay the difference between the two states. I would like to think when
> you are buying the car out of state, you also tell the sealer you are

buying
> from that you are registering it in a different state. Usually they will
> charge the rate that the state you are registering it in will charge.

This
> is what happened to us when we bought a car in New York. They gave us

temp
> plates (new york) until the regular plates (Ct) came in, and also charged

us
> the Ct sales tax. IN the end, the dealer will owe Ct the sales tax he
> collected from us.

I believe that the US Supreme court ruled that sellers are not required to
collect state sales tax for states that they do not have a "nexus" in.

Fortunately I live in a state that has no sales tax so I don't have to deal
with this issue, but if I did I would make a stink if a dealer tried to
collect state sales tax for an out of state sale, unless they had a legal
nexus in my state. If the dealer leaves town and doesen't pay your
home state, your on the hook for the tax-to-pay. Its much safer to
pay it yourself, then you know it's been done.

Ted

Old November 28th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

John Shepardson wrote:
> If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
> tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Depends on the states involved. Best bet would be to contact the DMV
and state or local taxing authority in both states BEFORE buying the
car.

One other thought, since it is out of state and you presumably have not
seen the title in person be sure to check that there are no liens
before handing over any cash.

And one more thought. Be very wary of totalled vehicles from storm
damaged areas that have been retitled and sold. Internet auctions are
the perfect way to move those wrecks.

Old November 30th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"John Shepardson" > wrote in message
> Well, I live in CA, so I am sure that the state will screw me in every
> way possible.
>
> John

Yep, you better move to Texas. It's much fairer there, and too crowded
here. So, see ya!

Old December 1st 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
says...

>If you buy a car out of your home state, would you have to pay the sales
>tax twice? Once at purchase, and once to register?

No. You pay when you register in your state.
Alex

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
State of Oregon going to self-serve emissions testing for 1996 and newer models Ted Mittelstaedt Technology 8 September 21st 05 05:16 PM
OT New Orleans Dave Milne Jeep 46 September 12th 05 02:34 AM
Taking The Haggling Out Of Buying That New '05 Auto Azam Chrysler 0 January 15th 05 06:15 AM
like a BAD neighbor, state farm is there! violet BMW 9 September 21st 04 07:05 PM