Dodge Stratus Transmission Problems (STRATUS)

Old December 15th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default Dodge Stratus Transmission Problems (STRATUS)

HERE WE GO
AGAIN: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I have a 1995 Dodge, STRATUS, six cylinder, with an automatic
transmission. Well it's happening again, sometimes it will go into
first and not shift to any higher gear. Other times it will stay in
the default mode (2nd gear).

I've taken it to the Dodge dealer and the say it's a bad transmission
($3,500.00) to replace.

I've also taken it to several transmission repair shops and they have
told me it needs to be rebuilt ($1400.00).

Well, I'm not an expert, however, if I go in the direction I have been
led to, I would have the transmission rebuilt. However a new or
rebuilt transmission will only be the third in this car.

I have only 133,000 miles on the car and its well maintained, oil
changes / filters, etc..

Well today the transmission worked perfect, for about 3 miles, now
it's stuck in 1st.

Well, although I'm not an expert, the more I think about the problem,
it sounds like a computer problem and not a mechanical problem.

CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP???????????????????????????

Thanks; John

Old December 15th 08, 10:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:
> HERE WE GO
> AGAIN: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
>
> I have a 1995 Dodge, STRATUS, six cylinder, with an automatic
> transmission. Well it's happening again, sometimes it will go into
> first and not shift to any higher gear. Other times it will stay in
> the default mode (2nd gear).
>
> I've taken it to the Dodge dealer and the say it's a bad transmission
> ($3,500.00) to replace.
>
> I've also taken it to several transmission repair shops and they have
> told me it needs to be rebuilt ($1400.00).
>
> Well, I'm not an expert, however, if I go in the direction I have been
> led to, I would have the transmission rebuilt. However a new or
> rebuilt transmission will only be the third in this car.
>
> I have only 133,000 miles on the car and its well maintained, oil
> changes / filters, etc..
>
> Well today the transmission worked perfect, for about 3 miles, now
> it's stuck in 1st.
>
> Well, although I'm not an expert, the more I think about the problem,
> it sounds like a computer problem and not a mechanical problem.
>
> CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP???????????????????????????
>
> Thanks; John

Has either the dealer or the shop given you any codes that were stored
in the TCM? That would help pinpoint the problem and be a big step
towards knowing the cause of the problem - and whether external to the
tranny or internal. Strange that 3 trannies would go bad - it does make
you wonder if it's not something external.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')